There has to be a better way to allocate tickets

burnageblue

Here is my idea for a refreshed ticketing sales.

Registration closes 3 weeks before the Sunday of the General sale.

2 weeks before the sale you can go onto the website put in all your details and pre approve the payment.
You then get 1 unique code for just those reg numbers and the payment.

Then on the Sunday of the sale, the web pages is stripped back to just a very basic easy to load page of just a box and a confirm button.
You put your unique code in, click confirm and then done.

There would be no chances of crashes as you go from one page to another, no bounced back payments, no bounced back incorrect details and no having to put in loads of details under the time pressure.
This would also lock out registration numbers so they could only be brought on that unique code, no hedge bets.

Tickets would sell out quicker but you would have a much cleaner experience.

47 minutes ago, joeltg said:

Apologies if this has already been covered, I haven't read back through the thread.

I still think Glastonbury is a little dated when it comes to ticketing.

I think they should adopt the same system as many other festivals, where you are able to reassign tickets x amount of times, understandably to someone who is already registered.

That alone would alleviate pressure on ticket day, as it is always likely we will know someone that can't make it for one reason or another, and they could have a cut off point for reassigning.

Perhaps Glastonbury wouldn't want to deal with the added admin side, but it works well for other festivals.

I disagree with this idea for Glastonbury tickets. The 'reassigning' that other festivals do is only about allowing their non-physical tickets to be resold.

And why should someone jump to the front of the Glastonbury ticket queue just because they're the mate of someone who no longer wants to go?

23 hours ago, DeanoL said:

I think your odds at the moment are around 30-40%. That’d drop to around 15% with a ballot. Be careful what you wish for!

I agree with your ballot reasoning. Emily Eavis stated that there are over 2.4 million live registrations. Yes some will be multiple registrations or dormant but consider the 2.4 million as a live application in a ballot. If, for simplicity, the number of tickets available in a ballot is 120,000, then the chances of winning would be 5%.

It's not inconceivable that 1,200,000 we're trying for the 120,000 yesterday, ie odds of 10%

6 minutes ago, dogeggs said:

I've sometimes wondered if being told your position in the ticket queue might make things a little more straightforward....but then again, I probably wouldn't want to know.

My understanding of it is that it isn’t a queue, it’s like a waiting room that gives randomised entry depending on refreshing exactly when there is a free slot on the booking page. 

40 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

People keep banging on about see tickets needing to fix the tech, but tbf this is a once-a-year event with unprecedented demand and not something you can do a dry run for. The fact that all the tickets get sold so quickly proves that the system is largely working (although I feel for anyone who got thrown out of a booking page). I remember the days of hitting f5 for 4 hours and then being confronted with disappointment.

I'm pretty sure it's the case that they could sell the tickets far quicker but choose not to.

By spreading their sale over a longer timeframe I reckon people feel like they stood a chance of getting tickets, more than if they were sold over (say) 5 minutes.

6 minutes ago, gordong said:

My understanding of it is that it isn’t a queue, it’s like a waiting room that gives randomised entry depending on refreshing exactly when there is a free slot on the booking page. 

Yep, I'm sure you're right...I was just wondering if there was a way to reduce all the panic refreshing from everyone which must play havoc on the servers.

That said, I don't really like the idea of it being a calm orderly process any more than it being a ballot....the random chaos of the booking system matches my mood on the day perfectly.

Edited by dogeggs

44 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Can't we at least make it entertaining, for example like the plot for the film Battle Royale?

"42 9th graders are sent to a deserted island. They are given a map, food, and various weapons. An explosive collar is fitted around their neck. If they break a rule, the collar explodes. Their mission: kill each other and be the last one standing. The last survivor is allowed to leave the island. If there is more than one survivor, the collars explode and kill them all."

So in our case the 42 would be the equivalent number of applicants who want each ticket (*which I think is about 17 based on 2.4m reg/135000 tickets)

tickets should be allocated via a (x)-hundred-thousand-person game of fortnite, which would not only be a completely fair system but would also help to solve the problem of the festival's rapidly aging population

4 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

tickets should be allocated via a (x)-hundred-thousand-person game of fortnite, which would not only be a completely fair system but would also help to solve the problem of the festival's rapidly aging population

And then the festival will be full of people like my nephews, and then Marshmello would be the headliner....

I'd rather they just cancel it.

5 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

I'm showing my age a little here, but couldn't we all play a game of Rollerball instead of fortnite? Bagsy being Jonathon E.

25 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I disagree with this idea for Glastonbury tickets. The 'reassigning' that other festivals do is only about allowing their non-physical tickets to be resold.

And why should someone jump to the front of the Glastonbury ticket queue just because they're the mate of someone who no longer wants to go?

Yea I guess your right on that aspect, when all said and done I don't really know then what the festival can do to make it any better.

Good luck all In the resale.

I really can't think of a fairer way than what we have at the moment.

They've eliminated touting, made it so that everyone who wants to go has to put some effort in, and then it's kind of luck beyond that.

It's a hugely over-subscribed event and so people are always going to be disappointed.   I do think they need to tighten up issues such as people being thrown off the booking page but, beyond that, I think this is the best option.

I think the overall structure of the system is really good currently - photo registration, 6 tickets, resales for those still keen etc.  The big problem is failure to cope with the massive load of multiple browsers and devices.

How about you use your Registration number to generate a secure link to the booking page (with an ID generated using your computer and browser details) that only allows access from the machine and browser you use to generate the link.  If say you lose your device or it breaks you could generate a replacement link at any time but it takes 5 minutes to send you a new link and disables the old one so you can't just keep creating new links and can't share them with anyone.

That would reduce the overall load somewhat.  Obviously that new process would need to cope with demand but is simpler than a booking and payment system and the load would be somewhat spread out in the week(s) before.  The reduced load on the booking systems would at least stop the servers going down which understandably causes people's frustration when they got through to booking pages and end up feeling it was the inadequate systems that cost them their lucky chance rather than just bad luck.

It wouldn't make it any more likely to get a ticket which I guess is the ultimate problem.

2.4 million registrations but I bet not all were trying, I know several people who didn't even bother this year. The problem you have is people trying on multiple devices and also friends, family, the postman all having a go on your behalf too. I bet on average there are at least 3 devices per registration trying to get in. So say 1.8 million registrations all trying, 3 devices on the go that's 5.4 million requests happening

The traffic must be huge, no wonder the Glastonbury.seetickets.com page times out. 

9 minutes ago, TheGoodWillOut said:

2.4 million registrations but I bet not all were trying, I know several people who didn't even bother this year.

yeah, it obviously wasn't all of those 2.4M trying.

However, I reckon there were more trying this year than there's been for a while, from how busy efestivals was - and my contact on the inside has also suggestted there were more trying this year too.

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

yeah, it obviously wasn't all of those 2.4M trying.

However, I reckon there were more trying this year than there's been for a while, from how busy efestivals was - and my contact on the inside has also suggestted there were more trying this year too.

So it's on their radar ? In my opinion as a failed ticket getter this year, it's ridiculous in this day and age that you can have unlimited devices all trying to get in for a single registration.  I wonder how many tickets sales failed due to registrations already used for purchase. 

Hi there, 

I am wondering if anybody could enlighten me... How come there are people who manage to get tickets every single year without fail? I mean does the ticket system keep track of them or something and go on past sales or is this just purely coincidental? I know a group of people and they have managed to get tickets every single year for going on 13 years now... I mean they even laugh about how easy it is?! I just don't understand..  I mean I always assumed it was just luck of the draw who manages to get through.. 

I got 8 on the run with no group. Just me and my computer, it was "easy". Then, the last 3 I've not even got to a booking page (fortunately someone got our tickets for us this time). 

It's luck, or persistence and taking every opportunity to maximise your chances with well organised groups.

I suppose the ease is subjective. People also talk bobbins, someone on Twitter was saying they've failed 18 years on the spin which is clearly nonsense given 2008's well documented late sell out. Similarly someone gets through on an old phone on McDonald's WiFi and days they don't know what all the fuss is about. 

5 minutes ago, GlastoMoonGirl said:

Hi there, 

I am wondering if anybody could enlighten me... How come there are people who manage to get tickets every single year without fail? I mean does the ticket system keep track of them or something and go on past sales or is this just purely coincidental? I know a group of people and they have managed to get tickets every single year for going on 13 years now... I mean they even laugh about how easy it is?! I just don't understand..  I mean I always assumed it was just luck of the draw who manages to get through.. 

just a coincedence, it really is just luck of the draw, theres no secret, internet sppeds dont matter, you just have to be lucky enough to press F5 at the same time a booking slot appears

8 minutes ago, TheNewUnion said:

I got 8 on the run with no group. Just me and my computer, it was "easy". Then, the last 3 I've not even got to a booking page (fortunately someone got our tickets for us this time). 

It's luck, or persistence and taking every opportunity to maximise your chances with well organised groups.

I suppose the ease is subjective. People also talk bobbins, someone on Twitter was saying they've failed 18 years on the spin which is clearly nonsense given 2008's well documented late sell out. Similarly someone gets through on an old phone on McDonald's WiFi and days they don't know what all the fuss is about. 

I suppose when you put it like that, it totally makes sense! Personally I have only got through once, and unfortunately after putting in my details to secure tickets the page refreshed to say sold out! Luckily I managed to get a ticket that  year. I haven't had any luck for the last 3 years unfortunately and due to personal events I  was more determined than ever to make it there in 2020! I am so happy for everyone who secured tickets! But not a fan of the gloating of how "easy" it is, when clearly so many thousands of people are heartbroken.

24 minutes ago, paulshane said:

just a coincedence, it really is just luck of the draw, theres no secret, internet sppeds dont matter, you just have to be lucky enough to press F5 at the same time a booking slot appears

Ah, I thought so! Glad theres no "secret" way of securing them, if there was i'd be very much inclined to know! ha lets just hope we become a lot more lucky, like a lotttt more lucky (Just in time for the resale would be swell!) 

2.4 million registered.  Don't forget, you don't have to re-register every year so people who registered several years ago but haven't tried for years will still be counted in that number.  Plus all the people who have re-registered because they changed email accounts.  Plus people with multiple registrations.  Once you take that into consideration there's probably only about 10,000 active people registered so I dunno how so how many people failed tbh.

Edited by uscore

51 minutes ago, GlastoMoonGirl said:

Hi there, 

Hey Moongirl,
There are people that manage to get tickets most years, the main method is they group together and form syndicates. They make spreadsheets with all different groups listed including name, reg number and email addresses. Everyone in the syndicate without fail gets up on the Sunday morning and connects to the net with every available device they can utilise be it a laptop, desktop, tablet, phone.
When one person is successful at buying their group a ticket, they don't stop there, they cross their group off the list and try for another group. Of course other members are doing the same thing, this usually results in a lot of tickets bought. These people have to trust each other by paying others depostes themselves, knowing they will be paid back later. Most members of the syndicate won't get to a ticket page, but of course those that do help make up for that

I'm not saying the above system is fair, just saying that's how a lot of big groups get together. I am a member of one such, I won't pass on any details if asked. I know of another four such syndicates. I don't apologize either. But anyone here can connect to other Glasto goes  and form their own ticket buying syndicate.

It's for the love of Glasto we all put in so much effort. Anyone can swing the scales a little in their favour by hooking up with other like minded people.

1 hour ago, GlastoMoonGirl said:

Hi there, 

I've managed successfully far longer than the group you know, so would have been the sort of annoying git other people point out, but then I and my friends have had a comprehensive failure on both Thursday and Sunday this week.

It's a game of odds and this forum is full of helpful suggestions that you can do to tilt them  in your favour, however most of those are now so widely shared and discussed that the advantage has been neutralised to a great degree, plus there was always going to be a monumental demand this year - indeed most of the regs here were fearing it from the popularity of the sale last year.