There has to be a better way to allocate tickets

burnageblue

2.4 million people registered, let’s assume everyone registered enters (because why wouldn't you enter a ballot that requires no effort?)

lets assume the ballot works by entering your group of 6, that’s 20,000 ‘chances’

2.4m/20,000 = 1 chance in 120

Who the fuck in their right mind wants those odds? You’d literally NEVER go.

Not getting through is one thing, but I hate the way Seetickets collapses even when you get to a holding page or a payment screen, once you are on, you should be alright but no and then people go through the pain or misery of thinking they got tickets only to find the payment never confirmed and game over.

Those with no luck (and it is down to luck) on the current system want to move to another system based on luck. In the hope they they will be luckier.

It’s always, “it needs to change until I get tickets”.

The “broken” system SeeTickets run managed to process 100k tickets in 30 mins. Go figure.

Dropping the deposit scheme would change a lot, people wouldn't be quite so organised to drum up £265 plus instead of £50 and it would make the festival sell out just that little bit slower, probably mostly because you won't have people putting through six tickets at a time and you'd have lower numbers confirming each transaction. 2 here, 4 here, instead of 6, 6, 6, 6 etc.

but it would probably raise the demographic of the crowd to a slightly older audience and be seen as highly unfair to the younger crowd and first timers trying to get in on the festival. Now the scheme has been in place for years.

Another approach could be a staggered ticket sale but reg numbers can only be attempted in one of those sale windows meaning you can't just throw your name in the hat every time but if you get through on the sale you go for then congrats otherwise better lucky next year.

It's always going to be hard to find a way when 2.4 million registrations converts into at most 150,000 tickets. That's a lot of people missing out. Then you get people posting that they have been 10/20 plus times in a row winding up the ones who always feel like they are missing out or doing something wrong.

1 minute ago, March Hare said:

Those with no luck (and it is down to luck) on the current system want to move to another system based on luck. In the hope they they will be luckier.

The “broken” system SeeTickets run managed to process 100k tickets in 30 mins. Go figure.

With the irony being they are asking for a system that would actually dramatically decrease the chances of them going.

6 minutes ago, March Hare said:

Yes but the method which allows those 100k tickets to process defo cost some people even the opportunity to get through which is unfair. There are defo some people who despite doing everything right will never get through for whatever reasons limits them getting to the payment page.

I know someone who got through 3 times in that 33 mins and could have processed 18 tickets by that logic. Equally I know 20 plus people who barely saw the holding page.

Edited by robillustrates

People don’t know they are going to Glastonbury until they get to the sale.

Asking people to save up months in advance for something they may or may not be successful for is ridiculous.

I'm in my thirties and comfortable, it wouldn’t affect me but it would affect a lot of people especially younger people, when I was 18/19/20 I wouldn’t have had the foresight to have saved up for 6 months to pay for something that may or may not happen.

Once you have a ticket you know you are going and hence can save for April, two completely different scenarios.

Suggesting the deposit is scrapped is quite frankly bonkers.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

People don’t know they are going to Glastonbury until they get to the sale.

Asking people to save up months in advance for something they may or may not be successful for is ridiculous.

I'm in my thirties and comfortable, it wouldn’t affect me but it would affect a lot of people especially younger people, when I was 18/19/20 I wouldn’t have had the foresight to have saved up for 6 months to pay for something that may or may not happen.

Once you have a ticket you know you are going and hence can save for April, two completely different scenarios.

Suggesting the deposit is scrapped is quite frankly bonkers.

Plenty of other festivals work just fine without a deposit scheme? don't get the logic. They also don't have the demand and popularity of Glastonbury where you know it would sell out in this current market. Despite not announcing a single act yet.

Just now, robillustrates said:

Plenty of other festivals work just fine without a deposit scheme? don't get the logic. They also don't have the demand and popularity of Glastonbury where you know it would sell out in this current market. Despite not announcing a single act yet.

Well yeah exactly, they don’t have the demand so don’t sell out hence you have time to save up and pay for them?

3 minutes ago, barcelonista1899 said:

Make a ballot...

Charge a non-refunable £10 (to charity) per registration to be entered. Groups can do it. People then have a period of time to purchase before they lose the right and then a second draw later. 

Would make a bomb for charity. 

Might be an idea to allocate some 50k tickets in some manner like this. So you sell x amount of coach tickets, then the rest on the main sale. Then you have 50k to draw in a ballot opening up another wedge of tickets for the 2 million plus who are currently the wrong side of the confirmation page, horrible odds but will make some people very happy.

5 minutes ago, barcelonista1899 said:

Make a ballot...

Charge a non-refunable £10 (to charity) per registration to be entered. Groups can do it. People then have a period of time to purchase before they lose the right and then a second draw later. 

Would make a bomb for charity. 

Would also make your odds of going somewhere between 1/20 to 1/100.

3 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

So you have months to pay for them. Six 18 year olds don’t need to make sure they’ve got £1500 ready on the off chance they might be lucky in a 30 minute window 9 months before the festival.

Without the deposit scheme, it wouldn't sell out 30 mins, it would increase. Also I think people would quickly get organised in the years following and have the full amount ready to go in the same way they move 50 quid to one account and make ticket day go smoother if someone gets through.

Outside of literally balloting people by county, then EU, then ROW offering good odds for some and terrible odds for others you'll never get it to a truly fair system. Technology stops this system being truly fair but it's not obvious.

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

No to ballot

yes to dropping the deposit. The only way tickets will be easier is if the “well I’l give it a shot just to see if I get in” crowd get put off.

For me, a ballot full of people "who will give it a go just because they might be lucky" is more or less the same as the deposit "I'll see if I get tickets for the hell of it and then cancel it later if I don't want to go" brigade.

Limit the tickets to 2 per person, spread the sale of tickets out more, stop people hoovering them up six at a time.

Just now, robillustrates said:

Without the deposit scheme, it wouldn't sell out 30 mins, it would increase. Also I think people would quickly get organised in the years following and have the full amount ready to go in the same way they move 50 quid to one account and make ticket day go smoother if someone gets through.

Outside of literally balloting people by county, then EU, then ROW offering good odds for some and terrible odds for others you'll never get it to a truly fair system. Technology stops this system being truly fair but it's not obvious.

The current system is fair. What isn’t fair about it? Paying the full balance will still involve technology? You want to skew it towards people that would more easily get the full payment amount together which would make it more unfair to some (younger people/people on minimum wage) but better for you, what is fair about that?

This is said as somebody who would benefit of you had to pay the full balance up front.

1 minute ago, Cream Soda said:

I'm more or less ok with the current system but this is the first suggestion I've seen that I would be up for.  It would definitely give more of a chance to those who don't have a spreadsheet of 50 other people to team up with.  Even 4 rather than 6 might spread the luck around a bit more

People would still have spreadsheets with groups of two on them. They would all just work through the sheet buying two at a time rather than 6. I’d hazard a guess big groups with spreadsheets would end up being as broadly successful as they are now.

Just now, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

The current system is fair. What isn’t fair about it? Paying the full balance will still involve technology? You want to skew it towards people that would more easily get the full payment amount together which would make it more unfair to some (younger people/people on minimum wage) but better for you, what is fair about that?

This is said as somebody who would benefit of you had to pay the full balance up front.

I don't know the exact answer but the kind of demand that brought in the deposit system was around 500k to 1 million interested people, now it's heading towards 2.5 million, so maybe the system needs updating in some manner.

Two of the best years I had at Glasto took 4 months and 12 hours to sell out and that was in the last decade.

I think no matter what system is in place, people learn it and try to gain an advantage, what took 12 hours for 2010 takes 33 minutes for 2020.

3 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

I'm more or less ok with the current system but this is the first suggestion I've seen that I would be up for.  It would definitely give more of a chance to those who don't have a spreadsheet of 50 other people to team up with.  Even 4 rather than 6 might spread the luck around a bit more

Turning the already semi-political "pick 5 best friends" into "pick one friend and fuck the rest"... jesus

An easy answer would be reducing maximum tickets to 4 or even down to 2. It would equally cause chaos on ticket day as people just end up with endless broken pages and holding pages but it would at least double the time it takes to sell out.

Live 8 worked just fine by doing tickets in pairs and was a ballot too if memory serves. If people are concerned about their buddies not showing up, then at least everyone is in the same boat and you have at least one friend with you.

Edited by robillustrates