There has to be a better way to allocate tickets

burnageblue

As someone who didn't get tickets.... As frustrating as it is the current system is basically as fair as it could be. The only minor changes I would consider are:

a) Strengthening the hand-over to the payment engine. Once you have been lucky enough to get your reg details in the process should be cast-iron 

b) Not re-open registrations after the initial sale. If you didn't want to go in oct then perhaps you shouldn't have the opportunity to try in April.

c) consider locking out IP addresses once you've made a purchase. It would level the field for people who don't have multiple teams all trying to help each other (and I say this as someone who is part of a buying group). I know that this would be unfair for people who like doing it as a big-group, but...tough, it's Glastonbury; you don't need to take an army.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, sadimmock said:

c) consider locking out IP addresses once you've made a purchase. It would level the field for people who don't have multiple teams all trying to help each other (and I say this as someone who is part of a buying group). I know that this would be unfair for people who like doing it as a big-group, but...tough, it's Glastonbury; you don't need to take an army.

It's technically difficult though for those behind gateways - it means like one person in a given office could get through, or one person on a given phone network, then no-one else could.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

It's technically difficult though for those behind gateways - it means like one person in a given office could get through, or one person on a given phone network, then no-one else could.

About 5s after I typed that I remembered that a lot of people might be stuck on shared-IPs. Also I guess it would horribly difficult to do in real time anyway. 

1 minute ago, TheGoodWillOut said:

Only suggested change I would recommend is the holding area, you can be in here at 9.00 on the dot and sit there, yet someone can try at 9.15 and get through. Rather than hold, make it a queue 

That's done on purpose. There's no need for a queue, they have the facilities to sell all the tickets out in 2 minutes flat. Just let everyone through at once. They extend it to half an hour on purpose so that it rewards those that don't give up after ten minutes.

3 minutes ago, Charm said:

As someone who didn’t get a ticket for the first time I’m pretty happy with the current system. Don’t think there’s a way of making easier or fairer, it’s just pure luck on the day, this I can deal with. 

Charm x

This. Also speaking as someone who didnt get a ticket this year for the first time. Don't think I would change much. It's always going to sell out in 30 minutes when the demand is so high

1 hour ago, Swieve said:

I have been successful 10 times out of 12.  There were several of us trying on multiple devices.  This year was the second failure and we fell victim to being unable to buy as a friend was through to payment and  it crashed waiting for confirmation.  I was in 10 minutes before it sold out but the system wouldn't let me proceed because they were reserved in his order.  It sucks and it should be better but hey ho. the system is possibly as good as it could be and there are other festivals to attend.

No point being bitter about it.  There is a saving grace that we know in October that we have failed leaving plenty of time to find an alternative.  Yes its a great festival but festivals are at least as much about the people you are with as they are the actual festival.  Find something else.  Trust me, Glastonbury is not the be all and end all.  Maybe if the general populous realised this then tickets would be easier.  Its no longer just a festival.  Its the place to be seen to be attending and unfortunately that is to its detriment   

This hits the nail on the head.

It is hugely successful and is the place to be seen.  I am sure it's also because its a huge global 'brand' too (interference is made to this on the Glasto home page: "We are truly humbled by the incredible number of people from around the world who hoped to come to next year's 50th Anniversary Festival, with demand significantly outstripping supply."

Maybe a treacherous couple of years like 2005/2007 will cause a dip in popularity again.

First time I didn't get a ticket for trying so i've been lucky to go 7 times since 2007. But I know some people who went every year since the 80s and couldn't get tickets last year or this year so have thrown in the towel for good.

I should add though - the current system is as fair as it can be. Ballots are a bad idea which would inflate demand like nothing.

Edited by CleanShirt

22 minutes ago, Charm said:

As someone who didn’t get a ticket for the first time I’m pretty happy with the current system. Don’t think there’s a way of making easier or fairer, it’s just pure luck on the day, this I can deal with. 

Charm x

Yep, I've been lucky every year since 2003, it just didn't work out this year.

Sad rule one of life: shit's not always going to go your way

I always think there must be a fairer way, but actually when you read the for/against, all the alternative suggestions seem to have major flaws.

The lottery system of waiting on a holding page until your "number is called" (figuratively speaking) is about as fair as it gets. It obviously sucks if you can't even connect to that holding page, but that's all a part of the same lottery process I guess.

1 minute ago, Sku said:

I always think there must be a fairer way, but actually when you read the for/against, all the alternative suggestions seem to have major flaws.

The lottery system of waiting on a holding page until your "number is called" (figuratively speaking) is about as fair as it gets. It obviously sucks if you can't even connect to that holding page, but that's all a part of the same lottery process I guess.

Personally I hate queuing systems--I went for nba tickets in London, you got sent to the waiting room and just stay there doing nothing until it sells out- horrible experience! At least pressing refresh let's me feel less powerless! 

1 minute ago, Mr.Tease said:

Personally I hate queuing systems--I went for nba tickets in London, you got sent to the waiting room and just stay there doing nothing until it sells out- horrible experience! At least pressing refresh let's me feel less powerless! 

Yeah I agree. Mashing F5 feels like you are doing something.

I guess the systems are actually kind of similar really, just one feels worse than the other.

Edited by Sku

1 hour ago, Swieve said:

Trust me, Glastonbury is not the be all and end all.  Maybe if the general populous realised this then tickets would be easier.  Its no longer just a festival.  Its the place to be seen to be attending and unfortunately that is to its detriment   

☝️?

Nothing wrong with the current system. At least its done and dusted in 30 mins, unlike a few years back when you were on the phones all day. You win some you lose some. This year was always going to be more difficult with the anniversary. 

Glasto is at peak popularity for various reasons, but people are fickle and things change. Organisers have to make hay while the sun is shining. Amazing to think they struggled to sell out in 2008/2009! Not sure if I remember correctly but I think they were close to calling it a day! 

Hugely disappointed to miss out, but there will always be another shot. A break from glasto makes your next visit even better! 

2 hours ago, rocks1ar said:

I went to every Glasto from 1996 to 2013. Since then I haven’t been able to get tickets. You can’t blame the tickets system. You have over 2 million people trying to get tickets at the same time. Of course the site will crash. It will never be fair. Over 50% of people trying every year have to miss out. That’s the nature of it. I always saw it as, the festival either wants me there or not. The past few years it just isnt meant to be. I’ll keep trying every year and maybe one day I will grace the fields of Avalon again when the fields want me back. Until then. Have fun all. 

There wasn't a festival in 96 - it was a fallow year.

This is the fairest way. I missed out last year for the first time in 10 years, was lucky this year, that’s all it’s down to, luck.

If anything the fairest way would be to let people go who haven’t been before so they get to experience it. I know this would be impossible to manage and would mean I wouldn’t go. 

1 hour ago, sadimmock said:

As someone who didn't get tickets.... As frustrating as it is the current system is basically as fair as it could be. The only minor changes I would consider are:

a) Strengthening the hand-over to the payment engine. Once you have been lucky enough to get your reg details in the process should be cast-iron 

b) Not re-open registrations after the initial sale. If you didn't want to go in oct then perhaps you shouldn't have the opportunity to try in April.

I’m with you on the first one, but what incentive do they have to do the last 2? They are not going to do anything that stops them selling out. From their perspective it’s perfect as it is, they sell out in 35 min, job done. 

9 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

No to ballot

yes to dropping the deposit. The only way tickets will be easier is if the “well I’l give it a shot just to see if I get in” crowd get put off.

Dropping the deposit scheme would also reduce the number of huge groups trying for tickets,  not everyone in a group of 6 is going to have £1500 in their account on t day, whilst grouping together is a reaction to the over demand it also majorly adds to the over demand.

not going to happen though as they won’t want to risk not selling out by putting off too many people.