There has to be a better way to allocate tickets

burnageblue

1 minute ago, majormajormajor said:

Exactly - the traffic for Seetickets compared to, say, Facebook... it isn't even the same sport.

See tickets crashed at 8:50 the main page crashed, there's no way that any site can manage it for 1-2 days a year without putting insane amounts of money into it. 

45 minutes ago, burnageblue said:

Why hasn't the festival just done a straight ballot?

The fesitval is so progressive in so many different ways but this system is as bad as it was 15 years ago.  See Tickets still seemingly unable to cope.

Yep I am a bitter about missing out 2 years in a row.

People say this every year.

Sorry to be blunt but if you'd got lucky then you'd think the current system is just fine.

2 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

See tickets crashed at 8:50 the main page crashed, there's no way that any site can manage it for 1-2 days a year without putting insane amounts of money into it. 

That's why my idea is brilliant ;)

Reduce the demand as everyone only has one session (so only 100,000 sessions in my example).

I have entered the ballot for the London Marathon 12 times and never got a place.

That's what would happen if Glastonbury went the ballot route.

The only suggestion I could make is that perhaps they don't sell tickets in batches of 6? maybe 2 per transaction? But is that the festival you want to go to? I know having a crew of 6 is way more fun than just a couple of you.

• Upvote 1

If the TV coverage stopped then I'd give it 2 years before getting a ticket would be relatively easy. This year's festival was the perfect storm for a huge demand for 2020. Wall to wall sunshine, blanket coverage and Kylie. 

Perhaps if they purged all registrations after this year's festival and everyone had to re-register, perhaps reduce number of tickets per transaction.

49 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

In my opinion a ballot would just encourage loads of people that don't actually care to try. I actually think the current way probably is the fairest. 

I have (or someone in my group) always been successful in the general sale though so I'm probably biased in that way. 

I agree with this. Those that are dedicated make so much effort. A ballot would  allow those who just think it's a nice idea to have an equal chance. For me that is not the right way to go

43 minutes ago, adamski said:

I have a better way to allocate tickets......

Same as now, but you enter your registration details at 09:00 and then go into the queue. Will mean that every registration will then have only one device/browser in the queue (multiple entries of the registration details banned).

One of the big problems is the vast majority of people will have multiple browsers/devices trying so if 600,000 people try with 5 browsers/devices each that is 3,000,000 sessions. If everyone is trying for 6 tickets, and one person enters registration details for those 6 and go through, then you only have 100,000 sessions. This would mean a better experience for all, as the servers would cope better, and the people going on their own would have the same chance as groups of 30.

Either that or just give me tickets.

The issue there is that currently in a group of 6, if all six people are trying, you have 6x the chance of getting tickets. And I think that's a good thing? Your way only one person even has to get up.

I get the idea of evening the odds for singles and couples but that can also be done by just finding other people to group up with just for the sale - (or asking mates not going to help out).

Same old variation and I understand and empathise with your disappointment.

However this thread should really be titled "There has to be a better way to allocate ME tickets".

Meh, I like t day with its ups and downs. First weekend October/resale day are as much a fixture as Xmas, Easter and the festival itself.

• Upvote 5

One thing that could help is establishing a deposit pre-pay system where you pay your £50 ahead of the sale.  On sale day you then just need to get reg numbers in and verified and boom it's done.  Same scrum for tickets etc but the payment element would be more reliable.  Pretty simple to then refund the money automatically to any reg number that hasn't been used.

15 minutes ago, Ohinever said:

Same old variation and I understand and empathise with your disappointment.

However this thread should really be titled "There has to be a better way to allocate ME tickets".

Meh, I like t day with its ups and downs. First weekend October/resale day are as much a fixture as Xmas, Easter and the festival itself.

I'm pretty sure Michael Eavis doesn't need a ticket though? 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mash011 said:

This thread is great because it swings around every year with a different contingent of posters having for some reason turned passionately against the ticketing system

This. ?

I have been successful 10 times out of 12.  There were several of us trying on multiple devices.  This year was the second failure and we fell victim to being unable to buy as a friend was through to payment and  it crashed waiting for confirmation.  I was in 10 minutes before it sold out but the system wouldn't let me proceed because they were reserved in his order.  It sucks and it should be better but hey ho. the system is possibly as good as it could be and there are other festivals to attend.

No point being bitter about it.  There is a saving grace that we know in October that we have failed leaving plenty of time to find an alternative.  Yes its a great festival but festivals are at least as much about the people you are with as they are the actual festival.  Find something else.  Trust me, Glastonbury is not the be all and end all.  Maybe if the general populous realised this then tickets would be easier.  Its no longer just a festival.  Its the place to be seen to be attending and unfortunately that is to its detriment