Ticket Ballot - 50 Pairs

kingcrawler

Oooh okay that makes sense. Thanks guys @SophieBee @the wonderwhy

I prefer those odds than something relying on priced bids to be honest, it maybe 50/ 2.4mil (-135000 tickets already sold) but that's fair in comparison to an auction style.

Thanks for the explaining everyone on twitter seems to know wtf is going on and I have no clue ELI5 please haha !! 

Edited by Sallyjk
Thanks for replies @

20 minutes ago, SophieBee said:

I was wondering this too. I'm not sure a ballot would be any more popular - years of not getting a London Marathon ballot place and seeing the moaning about that tells me that it wouldn't be. But it might be a way to take the stress out of it all. 

I wonder if there's a subconscious thing about trying for tickets and being logged on and persisting that - despite it being pure luck - seems to feel more fair than just going in for a ballot? I say fair cautiously as obviously you can try and try to no avail but i wonder if that slight sense of actively trying for it is part of the reason?

3 minutes ago, rosieangel said:

I wonder if there's a subconscious thing about trying for tickets and being logged on and persisting that - despite it being pure luck - seems to feel more fair than just going in for a ballot? I say fair cautiously as obviously you can try and try to no avail but i wonder if that slight sense of actively trying for it is part of the reason?

Yeah I think so. Plus it can be difficult to stop a ballot system being gamed by people entering multiple times - though perhaps you could get around that by having people pay a refundable deposit at the time of entry. I think the current system is probably the 'fairest' - as crap as it feels at the moment having been unlucky for the second year running. Will be interesting to see how the ballot works though, and it is another chance!

13 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

we once won a chance to buy one of 1000 pairs of tickets with western daily press .... as well as winning a pair the following year ... the name of the person that phoned us was called wendy best ... I will remember that name forever .... she was simply the best 

When de best isn't available, she's the one they call

12 minutes ago, rosieangel said:

I agree--I have zero luck with ballots, but the current system allows me to feel I have the illusion of control, that I can do things to give myself the best chance and I can actually do something during the process. I'd hate a ballot system as it would mean you were completely passive and at the full mercy of fate! 

Just now, Jensescapade said:

Oh no, thought you were going to be one of the lucky ones.  Im in the same boot.  Remember there's the Waterstones competition as well if you buy the book (if you haven't already done so) x

so did I .... And I have and fortunately I have a signed version too .... @emily eavis ... just slip those tickets in for me now would you 

1 minute ago, Rubber Soldier said:

I don’t think there is one at the moment, beyond that it’s a ballot. I’d imagine they’ll just pick random reg numbers that didn’t get a ticket and offer them the chance to buy one for them and one other? 

Yeah a few others have said this. Just been on twitter and people seem to 'know' whats cracking and I haven't a clue what anyones on about so came on here instead. Nicer folk and less trolls for being stupid sleepy sunday questions.

I guess it's another chance ??  Was really hoping to be a punter for the 50th! 

Many years ago at school, there were only 30 places for a school trip to Manchester Airport (what a treat!) and 31 of us in the class, so the teacher did a ballot where 30 names were pulled of a hat, and the 1 name left in the hat couldn't go. I was that 1 child! Thats the luck I have in ballots! 

2 minutes ago, Sallyjk said:

Yeah a few others have said this. Just been on twitter and people seem to 'know' whats cracking and I haven't a clue what anyones on about so came on here instead. Nicer folk and less trolls for being stupid sleepy sunday questions.

I guess it's another chance ??  Was really hoping to be a punter for the 50th! 

Some really nasty people on twitter, some of those responses to Emily and Co are just nasty

Just now, Mr.Tease said:

Many years ago at school, there were only 30 places for a school trip to Manchester Airport (what a treat!) and 31 of us in the class, so the teacher did a ballot where 30 names were pulled of a hat, and the 1 name left in the hat couldn't go. I was that 1 child! Thats the luck I have in ballots! 

That is heartbreaking :(

Maybe your luck will change with the worse odds ??

Just now, Mr.Tease said:

Some really nasty people on twitter, some of those responses to Emily and Co are just nasty

I know I only use Twitter for Glastonbury ticket sale updates.

People are horrible. There's just no need really! What a waste of energy.

9 minutes ago, Sallyjk said:

That is heartbreaking :(

Maybe your luck will change with the worse odds ??

Hopefully the ballot will be they'll pick 2 million names (or however many enter) out of a hat and the remaining 50 get the tickets--then I will be in with a chance! ?

Does anyone know how it works with competitions? For example, i've got a ticket this year, but say I were to enter one of the competitions that happen, do they just ask for a name if you win?

Thinking I'd definitely be up for entering any competitions I see that a friend might miss, but would obviously not do this if they had to be allocated to my reg number.