Resale club 2020 / 2021

Superscally

2 minutes ago, SouthbanKen said:

Not sure if we have a competitions thread yet, but i noticed a tweet today from Mallets - they will be running a Glasto ticket comp again this year. Keep your eyes peeled. 

yep there is ...and its been posted .... i tweeted a reply to ask when it starts ... will of course post if i get a reply or see anything else :) 

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

yep there is ...and its been posted .... i tweeted a reply to ask when it starts ... will of course post if i get a reply or see anything else :) 

Sorry - couldn't immediately see it. I should have known the forum was on top of it all!

As the line ups start to come out, i have been looking at a few alternatives to Glasto in case the worst happens on resale day. We missed the Chems last year so i'm pretty happy that they are doing both latitude and IOW as both are on my alternate list and i haven't seen the Chems in ages. But, whenever i talk about it to my GF  about any of them, her first line of thought is always, OK, but we are going to try in the resale for Glasto right - we can't book anything else as we need to give our all to get to Glasto. 

Now for most of the peeps on this forum, her response is absolutely correct and of course it is, there is no real alternative to Glasto (i just know that there are also no guarantees in life, so if we don't get tickets, we will want to have the best back up plan possible). What blows my mind and makes me so happy is that this response comes from my GF.  

Given that last year was her first year, i love how much she fell in love with the festival. We even went down to the Pilton Party last year and she loved being back on site, looking down across the fields and trying to work out where each tent or field is, we go down to Devon a lot and every time we pass the Glastonbury junction on the M5 she is looking out of the window trying to spot the Tor, she has been to many fests over the years, Reading, IOW, Global Gathering, Standon Calling, Victorious, all sorts, but now having been to Glasto for the first time she completely gets it and recognises its uniqueness, we've talked about it a few times and she puts it down to the people creating the the vibe, which we agree comes right from the top down (so thankyou Michael and Emily).  

Not sure why i have gone off on this ramble, apologies, i just have everything crossed that resale day comes good. Best of luck all.

Peace out.   

9 minutes ago, SouthbanKen said:

Sorry - couldn't immediately see it. I should have known the forum was on top of it all!

As the line ups start to come out, i have been looking at a few alternatives to Glasto in case the worst happens on resale day. We missed the Chems last year so i'm pretty happy that they are doing both latitude and IOW as both are on my alternate list and i haven't seen the Chems in ages. But, whenever i talk about it to my GF  about any of them, her first line of thought is always, OK, but we are going to try in the resale for Glasto right - we can't book anything else as we need to give our all to get to Glasto. 

Now for most of the peeps on this forum, her response is absolutely correct and of course it is, there is no real alternative to Glasto (i just know that there are also no guarantees in life, so if we don't get tickets, we will want to have the best back up plan possible). What blows my mind and makes me so happy is that this response comes from my GF.  

Given that last year was her first year, i love how much she fell in love with the festival. We even went down to the Pilton Party last year and she loved being back on site, looking down across the fields and trying to work out where each tent or field is, we go down to Devon a lot and every time we pass the Glastonbury junction on the M5 she is looking out of the window trying to spot the Tor, she has been to many fests over the years, Reading, IOW, Global Gathering, Standon Calling, Victorious, all sorts, but now having been to Glasto for the first time she completely gets it and recognises its uniqueness, we've talked about it a few times and she puts it down to the people creating the the vibe, which we agree comes right from the top down (so thankyou Michael and Emily).  

Not sure why i have gone off on this ramble, apologies, i just have everything crossed that resale day comes good. Best of luck all.

Peace out.   

:) nice .... I went onsite the Sunday just gone and the disorientation returned :) it’s hard to place things when the festival isn’t on ... mind u I get disorientated at times whilst it’s on ... even after 13 festivals ... good luck to you and the gf :) 

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

Second page bump ... how’s everyone? Who’s made any working decisions yet ? I’m still undecided ... and yes I know it’s another way in .... but just think it will impact my festival enjoyment too much ... not completely ruled it out though 

I'm not going down the working route. To take annual leave and book flights, etc. over from Belfast to volunteer just wouldn't do it for me I think, despite how good the lineup is looking so far.

132 days until the coach resale :) 

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

Second page bump ... how’s everyone? Who’s made any working decisions yet ? I’m still undecided ... and yes I know it’s another way in .... but just think it will impact my festival enjoyment too much ... not completely ruled it out though 

Think I'm going to try and work it, my mindset is to attempt every legitimate route into the festival possible! Hopefully I get lucky one way or another... before I have to invest in some ladders! :) 

Edited by Billy Shears

58 minutes ago, northernringo said:

I'm not going down the working route. To take annual leave and book flights, etc. over from Belfast to volunteer just wouldn't do it for me I think, despite how good the lineup is looking so far.

132 days until the coach resale :) 

You are in charge of the countdown now ... you’ve volluteered yourself :) of course I know it’s April :) but a daily or every few days will focus the minds 

16 minutes ago, Big durbs said:

i will chuck my " two pence worth " in here . ( for waht its worth )

in 2017 i was trying every way i could after not getting tickets in the main sale , was determined to NOT work it , april came and sucess was not forth coming , now i was in a situation of not even looking at working it until it was to late . i didnt get to go to 2017 ! and the line up was awesome for my taste in music . i was devistated to say the least , i did come close to buying some Iffy EPO wristbands at £750 each ! lucky for me i missed the chap as they later turned out to be copies and some people got refused entry .

what i am trying to say is , it well worth making the moves to work , if you get tickets in april you can always cancel working , i know many people do which is why there are a load of shifts that come up after the resale !

and trust me , without tickets ,the closer it gets to glasto the worse it is , by mid june you would sell your first born and grandmother for even a sunday ticket

no first born ... or grandmothers unfortunately ... but yes I think that is probably the option we will go for ... I have had a few exploratory tweets sent ... I think its just the deposit £30 ?  lost for the big charities isn't it ? does anyone know if they refund the rest straight away ? .... and the £750 for a wristband is not something I could afford anyway .... anyone in the market for a firstborn / Glastonbury ticket swap ? :) 

5 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

I'm not good today mate. Not good. Have the fear.

40 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I do wonder what % give up the tickets based on lineup though ..... surely low compared to those who give it up because of life reasons ? ... im retaining some optimism :) 

I think you could be right, I don't think that many people go to Glastonbury for the line up. Last year's headliners on paper wouldn't appeal to me massively but it still wouldn't have put me off going.

9 minutes ago, northernringo said:

I think you could be right, I don't think that many people go to Glastonbury for the line up. Last year's headliners on paper wouldn't appeal to me massively but it still wouldn't have put me off going.

although this year might contain a few more casual one off attendees that are going for the special 50th lineup 

13 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Not ruled anything out. Frustrating bit is that I can’t do anything at the moment. 

9 hours ago, SecretFish said:

Not ruled anything out. Frustrating bit is that I can’t do anything at the moment. 

A bit of time now to make some decisions on next steps though ... unfortunately doesnt look like the xmas card made any progress , it would have arrived Wed and ive not heard anything :( ....... ah well I move on although im temporarily out of ideas though 

On 12/6/2019 at 8:07 PM, crazyfool1 said:

I was of the same mindset as you this time last year. My ticketless mate really wanted to get us there and was trying to encourage me to do any sort of volunteering, but as every time I had been before I had spent five days getting w*nkered in a field, that's how I thought festivals had to be done. After a while I was convinced to put what I thought my enjoyment would be second and we applied for toilet duty. Despite not being successful in the first wave, we got spots in the second. We were then unsuccessful in the resale, so toilet duty it was.

The working aspect ended up becoming my favourite part of my experience last year. It threw a completely different light on the festival, there were loads of perks and my mate and I had an absolute proper laugh. I had never had an issue with the toilets before, so that just added to the fun. 

What did irk me slightly (and I am not aiming this at you personally CF) was the way people (I'm including non-going friends and colleagues, as well as people encountered while on duty at the festival) turned their noses up at the idea of volunteering at a festival, let alone cleaning toilets! There was a real elitist disbelief that one would take annual leave to go clean toilets, or that it wouldn't be worth going at all if you couldn't see Kylie, say, because you had to work. The prissy colleagues I could understand, but it was the festival-goers that were the worst. 'Ah mate, it must really suck to be working here', 'You must be gutted pal, The Killers are going off' and 'Oh my God, you could not pay me to do that' are the sorts of comments that we had all weekend (mixed in with good ones of course).

At one point I was asked by a young lass who seemed like she was having a nice afternoon how much I got paid to clean the toilets. 'I don't, I just really want to be here' is roughly what I said back. So if you are ticketless but really not sure about working - just think of it like that - it gets you in. So what if you can't party as much and have to miss some of the acts? Got an act you are desperate to see? Try to arrange a swap. Wouldn't you rather be there - on the farm for the 50th (or any year for that matter) - and complain about having to miss Aerosmith but still have an amazing week than complain about missing it altogether? 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, sirjonnyp said:

I was of the same mindset as you this time last year. My ticketless mate really wanted to get us there and was trying to encourage me to do any sort of volunteering, but as every time I had been before I had spent five days getting w*nkered in a field, that's how I thought festivals had to be done. After a while I was convinced to put what I thought my enjoyment would be second and we applied for toilet duty. Despite not being successful in the first wave, we got spots in the second. We were then unsuccessful in the resale, so toilet duty it was.

The working aspect ended up becoming my favourite part of my experience last year. It threw a completely different light on the festival, there were loads of perks and my mate and I had an absolute proper laugh. I had never had an issue with the toilets before, so that just added to the fun. 

What did irk me slightly (and I am not aiming this at you personally CF) was the way people (I'm including non-going friends and colleagues, as well as people encountered while on duty at the festival) turned their noses up at the idea of volunteering at a festival, let alone cleaning toilets! There was a real elitist disbelief that one would take annual leave to go clean toilets, or that it wouldn't be worth going at all if you couldn't see Kylie, say, because you had to work. The prissy colleagues I could understand, but it was the festival-goers that were the worst. 'Ah mate, it must really suck to be working here', 'You must be gutted pal, The Killers are going off' and 'Oh my God, you could not pay me to do that' are the sorts of comments that we had all weekend (mixed in with good ones of course).

At one point I was asked by a young lass who seemed like she was having a nice afternoon how much I got paid to clean the toilets. 'I don't, I just really want to be here' is roughly what I said back. So if you are ticketless but really not sure about working - just think of it like that - it gets you in. So what if you can't party as much and have to miss some of the acts? Got an act you are desperate to see? Try to arrange a swap. Wouldn't you rather be there - on the farm for the 50th (or any year for that matter) - and complain about having to miss Aerosmith but still have an amazing week than complain about missing it altogether? 

Yep all very fair points ... which I take on board even though it’s not specifically aimed at me in parts ... there’s a few reasons that work might not be possible ... including for me that I’m not sure if my back will be able to take the extra few nights of lying on the ground ... I do struggle with 5 ... but Should I miss out .. i won’t be complaining as this is definately an available choice  that is totally in my hands either way .. good luck with it this year .. I presume you are going back to do the same job ? 

37 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Yep all very fair points ... which I take on board even though it’s not specifically aimed at me in parts ... there’s a few reasons that work might not be possible ... including for me that I’m not sure if my back will be able to take the extra few nights of lying on the ground ... I do struggle with 5 ... but Should I miss out .. i won’t be complaining as this is definately an available choice  that is totally in my hands either way .. good luck with it this year .. I presume you are going back to do the same job ? 

Good to hear. Loo crew is either one night early or no extra nights, so bare that in mind too if the length of camping is an issue but obviously it's different among the organisations and roles. 

I was lucky enough to get through this year and secured tickets, so I won't be volunteering this year as it stands. My situation has changed a lot in the last year, as I now live on the other side of the world. Having tickets has made it a lot easier to think about planning, but if it came down to it I would do loo crew again in a heartbeat if I needed to. Still not 100 per cent if I'm going to make it or have to put the ticket back in the pot as I don't have a visa that allows me to work here, plus I'm not sure how much my partner is going to mind me taking off for a holiday while they have had a job since we got here and we haven't got any holidays lined up. She gets the importance of the festival for me (we used three consecutive glasto postcards I sent her in my visa application) and as confirmations have dribbled out I think we both realise that I am going to be there. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, sirjonnyp said:

A point I should add (and I think that the volunteering thread will confirm that) - it seems a lot easier to get volunteering spots before the resale than after. Sticking all of the eggs in the resale basket is risky. 

cheers ..totally understood ... thanks for the detailed post :) 

4 minutes ago, Big durbs said:

I take my hat off and give the highest respect to all people who work the festival, I worked this year myself, but all my work was back of house and complete before the gates opened, and yes I had a awesome time seeing it from the other side , it was the best festival I have been to after years of going as a punter.

quite happy to take my hats off to the workers too :) ... best one yet ? :) those words are familiar , do you have a twin ? :)