Calibre of ticket holders

jimbarkanoodle

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I cant lie.  I'm pretty fortunate.  I had several tulpas all trying on my behalf - unfortunately the only one to get through to the ticket page was evil and just bought one ticket under the name of Wally Brando.

I’ll be furiously tapping F5 and shouting ‘HelloooOOOOooooo’ come Sunday

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Lycra said:

To answer your second point. Everyone has a right to attend Glasto. It is a victim of it's own success. It is aired on tv and streamed to a global audience and followed hotly by printed media every summer. Huge numbers see the whats on offer and the fun to be had. So it is no surprise that demand for tickets hugely outstrips supply. Other events would have a similar (nice for promoters) problem if they were accorded such publicity.

You actually make a good point here. Perhaps its the BBC coverage which is part of the problem.

The live broadcasts on the tv are basically all the big pop acts on the main stages,  zooming in on well preened teenage girls from the home counties with plastic flower garlands in their hair, and loads of muggy flags being held aloft whilst flippin Kylie Minogue belts out her cheesy hits. No wonder the ticket supply is getting rinsed by people who wouldn't know the stone circle even if they were camped right beside it.

They don't show the people off their tits raving to techno at 5am round Block 9, which for me, is the real Glastonbury. Im not saying I would want them to broadcast that (sorry mum etc!), but it shows the world this bucolic image of an innocent pop concert that Jennifer from finance could happily go to without seeing the darker, hippy side on which Glastonbury was originally founded.  

2 hours ago, jimbarkanoodle said:

So, coach tickets sell out in under half an hour, is this a record?

I'd like to discuss who exactly is hoovering up all these tickets. It annoys me to assume, but yet lets face it- rationally conclude, that those getting tickets are probably well off individuals with 12 devices all connected to the website, who get tickets every single year. Worse still, once they are there, probably only ever go to the big main stages to see all the pop music and post on Instagram. Whilst there is certainly room for everyone(although clearly not enough!) and all walks of life at Glastonbury, it is negatively affected by over representation of the above demographic. Many of them probably don't even take drugs, just sit at their campsite in wellies (despite there being no mud) drinking 4 cans of warm Strongbow per day, despite not actually liking it, just because 'that's what you drink at a festival'.

It would be ideal if at least 50% of the tickets were somehow distributed to what i would call 'genuine' festival goers. As in, the types who go to 4 or 5 a year, now how to have the party until 6am. Not Jennifer who works in Canary Wharf in the finance department, only ever goes to Glastonbury and when she hears the words Shangri-La, thinks its the hotel at the top of the Shard. If Jennifer were to go to Boomtown, she's probably leave on account of being too scared of the music.

If things continue the way they are going, Glastonbury will soon end up similar to Coachella. Something needs to be done, im not sure how, but it does.  

This was a painful read...

2 hours ago, jimbarkanoodle said:

It annoys me to assume, but yet lets face it- rationally conclude, that those getting tickets are probably well off individuals with 12 devices all connected to the website, who get tickets every single year.

I know I'm replying to a troll post, but I thought it was interesting that someone with this set-up still missed out on coach tickets.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jimbarkanoodle said:

They don't show the people off their tits raving to techno at 5am round Block 9, which for me, is the real Glastonbury. Im not saying I would want them to broadcast that (sorry mum etc!), but it shows the world this bucolic image of an innocent pop concert that Jennifer from finance could happily go to without seeing the darker, hippy side on which Glastonbury was originally founded.  

Glastonbury is many different things to many different people.

That's why it's so brilliant.

7 minutes ago, clarkete said:

It was generous of jim to come here and cheer us all up in these tense times. 

So the key question is - what did Jennifer do to you? 

Probably nicked my rightful Glastonbury ticket.

I'd of thought you lot would cut me some slack today, when for once I am actually 'doing the right thing' and attempting to buy a ticket. I cant win can I?

Just to break your conspiracy... 

I was on my laptop, one browser, wifi, one tab. Refreshed at 18:00, got in bought 5 tickets and that was that. No trickery and pretty simple.

I have also been getting tickets since 2010 so I know it's NEVER that easy. It is just luck and sometimes you're just not lucky.

24 minutes ago, clarkete said:

It was generous of jim to come here and cheer us all up in these tense times. 

So the key question is - what did Jennifer do to you? 

I believe this all goes back to an incident at the Christmas party a couple of years ago. Jim and Jenny were in the stationery cupboard, Jim dropped his trousers and Jenny laughed at what she saw.

From that day onwards Jim swore to channel his anger, rejection and feelings of inadequacy into trolling internet forums about festivals.

1 hour ago, jimbarkanoodle said:

No wonder the ticket supply is getting rinsed by people who wouldn't know the stone circle even if they were camped right beside it.

Ah the stone circle. That artificial altar invented by Michael Eavis in the 90s.

3 hours ago, jimbarkanoodle said:

I'd say so, yes.

Although I refrain from putting all the festivals ive gone to at the bottom of my signature on here (what's that about by the way? showing off?), I've been to loads at home and aboard over the last 15 years. Probably more than most people on here actually.  

Which is why its frustrating seeing all the tickets go to people who are less deserving.

Granted, I didn't actually try last night (I've never registered and forgot to do it in time), but there should possibly be a point system in place.

You sound like Donald Trump. 

I didn't get tickets for 2019. I was pretty devastated because I love The Cure and seeing them headline the pyramid stage would be a dream come true. But I missed out, and I'll probably never get to have that experience. Doubt they'll headline Glasto again. 

But I got tickets for 2020 thankfully. Fact is that you win some and you lose some, has nothing to do with not being "worthy" or anything.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimbarkanoodle said:

Probably nicked my rightful Glastonbury ticket.

I'd of thought you lot would cut me some slack today, when for once I am actually 'doing the right thing' and attempting to buy a ticket. I cant win can I?

Believe me, it's definitely a day for me to feel sad as others do. 

The aspect I struggle with is you being the judge of what is and is not acceptable, as plenty of people who fall outside your definition are regs here and what's more they're incredibly generous with their time and energy to help others get there in the first place and have a great time once they do. 

I've had lots of years that I said "yes" to everything my pals offered me, hence those years were literally messy and quite often a bit blank - certainly compared to those here with their comprehensive lists of favourite sets. Some would say they missed out, others would think me. 

Unfortunately I can't go that far these days even if I wanted (which sometimes I do) as I have to take pills. Still get to have a great time for an old git. 

Keep yer chin up ?

Edited by clarkete

5 hours ago, jimbarkanoodle said:

So, coach tickets sell out in under half an hour, is this a record?

I'd like to discuss who exactly is hoovering up all these tickets. It annoys me to assume, but yet lets face it- rationally conclude, that those getting tickets are probably well off individuals with 12 devices all connected to the website, who get tickets every single year. Worse still, once they are there, probably only ever go to the big main stages to see all the pop music and post on Instagram. Whilst there is certainly room for everyone(although clearly not enough!) and all walks of life at Glastonbury, it is negatively affected by over representation of the above demographic. Many of them probably don't even take drugs, just sit at their campsite in wellies (despite there being no mud) drinking 4 cans of warm Strongbow per day, despite not actually liking it, just because 'that's what you drink at a festival'.

It would be ideal if at least 50% of the tickets were somehow distributed to what i would call 'genuine' festival goers. As in, the types who go to 4 or 5 a year, now how to have the party until 6am. Not Jennifer who works in Canary Wharf in the finance department, only ever goes to Glastonbury and when she hears the words Shangri-La, thinks its the hotel at the top of the Shard. If Jennifer were to go to Boomtown, she's probably leave on account of being too scared of the music.

If things continue the way they are going, Glastonbury will soon end up similar to Coachella. Something needs to be done, im not sure how, but it does.  

What a vile bigoted pile of claptrap.