Calibre of ticket holders

jimbarkanoodle

So, coach tickets sell out in under half an hour, is this a record?

I'd like to discuss who exactly is hoovering up all these tickets. It annoys me to assume, but yet lets face it- rationally conclude, that those getting tickets are probably well off individuals with 12 devices all connected to the website, who get tickets every single year. Worse still, once they are there, probably only ever go to the big main stages to see all the pop music and post on Instagram. Whilst there is certainly room for everyone(although clearly not enough!) and all walks of life at Glastonbury, it is negatively affected by over representation of the above demographic. Many of them probably don't even take drugs, just sit at their campsite in wellies (despite there being no mud) drinking 4 cans of warm Strongbow per day, despite not actually liking it, just because 'that's what you drink at a festival'.

It would be ideal if at least 50% of the tickets were somehow distributed to what i would call 'genuine' festival goers. As in, the types who go to 4 or 5 a year, now how to have the party until 6am. Not Jennifer who works in Canary Wharf in the finance department, only ever goes to Glastonbury and when she hears the words Shangri-La, thinks its the hotel at the top of the Shard. If Jennifer were to go to Boomtown, she's probably leave on account of being too scared of the music.

If things continue the way they are going, Glastonbury will soon end up similar to Coachella. Something needs to be done, im not sure how, but it does.  

• Downvote 27

I'd say so, yes.

Although I refrain from putting all the festivals ive gone to at the bottom of my signature on here (what's that about by the way? showing off?), I've been to loads at home and aboard over the last 15 years. Probably more than most people on here actually.  

Which is why its frustrating seeing all the tickets go to people who are less deserving.

Granted, I didn't actually try last night (I've never registered and forgot to do it in time), but there should possibly be a point system in place.

• Downvote 12

The only fair way I can think of resolving this is to request an independent valuation of every attendee's parent's home. If said house is worth more than say, 150 thousand pounds then you are barred from the festival for life.

Another idea would be a priority scheme for those brought up by single parents. This could again be verified by festival staff checking the school dinner records of every attendee

• Upvote 1

Sorry, I can’t hear you all the way from my ivory tower from my wealth as a PhD student ?

Unfortunately it’s down to luck, I used a laptop with three browsers (using a vpn for diff IPs) and a mobile, and got through. Girlfriend was sat next to me doing the same and didn’t get a sniff till it was too late, good luck for Sunday!

On 10/4/2019 at 9:29 AM, jimbarkanoodle said:

blah blah blah bullshit bullshit

I have no idea how many devices were used to book my ticket. I will have to ask my butler, dahlink. I was busy taking a champagne bath and getting my feet rubbed with caviar when tickets went on sale yesterday. 

And you are right, if I even bother flying to the festival in my helicopter I might ride my unicorn only to the backstage of the Pyramid Stage to have a glass of Crystal with Harry, Meghan and Archie. See you there, maybe?

Edited by Gabi_says
Deleted wasted space
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, jimbarkanoodle said:

I'd say so, yes.

Although I refrain from putting all the festivals ive gone to at the bottom of my signature on here (what's that about by the way? showing off?), I've been to loads at home and aboard over the last 15 years. Probably more than most people on here actually.  

Which is why its frustrating seeing all the tickets go to people who are less deserving.

Granted, I didn't actually try last night (I've never registered and forgot to do it in time), but there should possibly be a point system in place.

A point system just keeps the ones with the most points at the top with no room for anyone else. It is actually detrimental to growth as it keeps new people away. 

None of us deserve a ticket over anyone else. If you don't manage to get a ticket, lick your wounds and then go do something different with your life.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, jimbarkanoodle said:

I'd like to discuss who exactly is hoovering up all these tickets. It annoys me to assume, but yet lets face it- rationally conclude, that those getting tickets are probably well off individuals with 12 devices all connected to the website, who get tickets every single year. Worse still, once they are there, probably only ever go to the big main stages to see all the pop music and post on Instagram. Whilst there is certainly room for everyone(although clearly not enough!) and all walks of life at Glastonbury, it is negatively affected by over representation of the above demographic. Many of them probably don't even take drugs, just sit at their campsite in wellies (despite there being no mud) drinking 4 cans of warm Strongbow per day, despite not actually liking it, just because 'that's what you drink at a festival'.

It would be ideal if at least 50% of the tickets were somehow distributed to what i would call 'genuine' festival goers. As in, the types who go to 4 or 5 a year, now how to have the party until 6am. Not Jennifer who works in Canary Wharf in the finance department, only ever goes to Glastonbury and when she hears the words Shangri-La, thinks its the hotel at the top of the Shard. If Jennifer were to go to Boomtown, she's probably leave on account of being too scared of the music.

If things continue the way they are going, Glastonbury will soon end up similar to Coachella. Something needs to be done, im not sure how, but it does.  

Obvious troll is obvious.

I work in Canary Wharf by the way.

24 minutes ago, jimbarkanoodle said:

What a load of shite.

• Upvote 2

Just now, jparx said:

Glastonbury tickets are purely down to luck. The only way to increase your odds is to group up with people, which is completely fair enough. The system treats everyone equally so it’s a perfectly fair system imo.

Even when the Glastonbury website hinted that grouping up and using shit loads of devices was against the ethos of the festival, i.e out of order/taking the piss?

Just to add as well, the point of Glastonbury is that everyone is treated equally. You get a ticket for the festival and everyone has the same access to the stages and bars etc. Yes you can pay more for camping, but the actual general admission ticket is the same for everyone. The ethos of the festival is to treat everyone equally and fairly, so a points based system not only sounds like a fascist immigration policy but also contradicts the ethos of Glastonbury.

Trolling has gone to some lengths here. 

Rage about the system despite not even registering or trying for a ticket. (Check)

State the people that got tickets are obviously not worthy and not "proper" Glastonbury. (Check)

Suggest a point system (check)

"Something needs to be done" and end up sounding like a far right extremist (Check)

We all think you are an arse (Check)

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3