The International Contingent

4 hours ago, sirjonnyp said:

I finally got around to calling Cathay to move my flights. I booked directly with them in January, so their website led me to believe that I could just defer my tickets for a year (their cut off date was 30 June 2021, so pretty good timing) so initially asked to move the tickets back to the same dates next year. After what seemed like an eternity I was told that I couldn't move my flights any later than October due to my type of ticket so instead I have ended up with a refund, which was my least preferred option due to probably having to pay more for flights next year.

How is everyone else getting on with recouping / rebooking?

Flight booked directly with Emirates and cancelled by them.

They’re holding the booking, with no fees or price change, for 2 years so I just phone to rebook new tickets.

Or so they say....

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got in from Sweden ?

Another new Zealander here! Am going to a wedding in Italy in May and decided to book return flights for a couple of days after Glasto in the vain hope we'd get tickets. A bunch of my friends went for

Hello there! My group is part of the international contingent. 5 first timers 1 who went a bunch in the 90’s. 4 coming from America, 2 from Europe (neither UK). My recent past festivals have

Posted Images

That's decent, thought I was going to get the same with Cathay (albeit only for one year) as I had booked directly with them but wasn't the case, guess you might want to check to be on the safe side, if you haven't already. 

Pretty sure you'd have to have paid the difference in fares anyway if it's more next year.

My bank has raised the dispute with the merchant's bank and I have to wait up to 30 days for that investigation to be completed.

• 1 month later...

For anybody abroad that cannot watch the BBC iPlayer, I've found everything is available to download on torrent from TorrentGalaxy. Super high quality. 
Everything from last year is also there.

• 1 month later...

So has anyone even rebooked their trip to the uk for the festival, or just holding out for concrete news? Been in a 2 week battle with Virgin Atlantic and theyre trying to give me the run around on booking the same trip while doubling the price. Truly a shame for an airline that prides itself on customer service.

2 hours ago, Suprefan said:

So has anyone even rebooked their trip to the uk for the festival, or just holding out for concrete news? Been in a 2 week battle with Virgin Atlantic and theyre trying to give me the run around on booking the same trip while doubling the price. Truly a shame for an airline that prides itself on customer service.

Not rebooked, something needs to drastically changed or I’m out. Current situation is that when I return home I’ll have to quarantine for 2 weeks, and being self employed I’ll have no income PLUS I’ll have to pay for the quarantine out of my own pocket.

I simply can’t afford it 😭

2 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Still holding on. I can rebook for anytime in 2021 as long as I do it before November. But I have no idea what to do. If Glastonbury is off I don't see much of a reason to go to Spain in June (my flight is to Madrid).

Our peso keeps being devaluated, inflation doesn't seem to be controlled anytime soon, so each month everything becomes more expensive (as does a potential Glastonbury).

Everything is too uncertain to make a decision now. 

Edited by Calvin Klein
6 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Have not rebooked. They gave me a travel voucher (British Airways) I haven’t checked when I have to use it by but Glasto dates are literally triple what I paid and what the voucher is for. Also I don’t have enough confidence Glastonbury is happening but even if it was I’m pretty confident the airfare will go down by a lot before next June. 

3 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Yeah, its a tough position. If only airlines would straight up honor trips booked and do away with the change fees instead of making it a temporary thing.

Emirates have done just that, I have 2 years to rebook (from date of original booking, so June), no fees or price change. So no complaints there, as long as they practice what they preach.

But, if I ask for refund there’s cancellation fee.

Holding off.....We got full refunds on our Delta flights going this year from the US but were given vouchers for our return TAP flights from Portugal (was going to do a week post Glastonbury in Portugal).  The TAP vouchers are actually worth 20% more than the original flights but they run out a week before Glastonbury 2021 dates.  Haven't decided if we would use them and just switch our trip to Portugal to happen before Glastonbury next year.

All of that is moot right now until we see what is happening with the virus/festival and international traveling.  I'm not booking anything until things clear up enough to trust that the trip is actually going to work....even if that means paying more this time around.

On 8/18/2020 at 5:35 PM, John the Moth said:

Emirates have done just that, I have 2 years to rebook (from date of original booking, so June), no fees or price change. So no complaints there, as long as they practice what they preach.

But, if I ask for refund there’s cancellation fee.

If only I booked through Emirates. Maybe Ill check next time around.

and yeah, leaning on getting a refund now to have some flexibility. I have an expedia credit that I used on a hotel booking in the uk but I got that back so that gives me a little boost in seeing what kind of fares I can look at. I kinda think there will be deals over the holidays as usual because if nobody is booking international travel, why would prices stay as high as they are ya know. It cant last either, its just a temporary bump til things settle. 

Haven’t rebooked. Singapore Airlines refunded ours fares from NZ in full so we can just pay cash if the planets align and we can make it next year.

I’m not optimistic though, even if the festival goes ahead. The requirement for us to pay close to NZ $10k in quarantine costs for our family upon our return, in addition to airfares that will have gone up drastically will be prohibitive.