Jump to content

The International Contingent


beefykoala
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Ollie7490 said:

The testing stations I've seen here are $175 for a next day result. Problem is I fly on a Monday and they seem to be closed on Sunday. The test needs to be within 1 day of travel so I'd have to pay for a test the day I fly and use the urgent 6hr service. $325 😳

Whereabouts are you? Most places do antigen test results within 20 mins (maybe an hour). It’s the PCR tests that take longer (and not required for US). The airport in Dublin has 2 testing centres. Whenever I go there there’s always a bunch of people with suitcases getting tests for their connecting flight (turnaround time is short). Lots of pharmacies do them too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Yes, needs to be a professionally administered test. US actually accepts proctored home tests, but easier to do in a travel testing centre that will issue you a cert. Needs to have your passport number, name, date of birth, name of testing company and time/date of test on it. The company I use issues the certs within about 20 mins and they have a QR code so accepted everywhere. They cost €35 in Ireland, but I paid $195 for one in the US! 

Yeah, I’m looking at this place which I *think* will work to take a “Antigen Lateral Flow Fit To Fly” test the day i fly out, at heathrow, for £35….

https://www.expresstest.co.uk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Whereabouts are you? Most places do antigen test results within 20 mins (maybe an hour). It’s the PCR tests that take longer (and not required for US). The airport in Dublin has 2 testing centres. Whenever I go there there’s always a bunch of people with suitcases getting tests for their connecting flight (turnaround time is short). Lots of pharmacies do them too. 

I'm in the Far North of NZ. I contacted Auckland Airport yesterday and they put me on to a place called Rako Science which charges the prices mentioned. Though just found a list of places that offer antigen testing for a fraction of the price. I will pop in and sus it out once I've recovered.

Cheers for your help Mr Duck

Edited by Ollie7490
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Ollie7490 said:

I'm in the Far North of NZ. I contacted Auckland Airport yesterday and they put me on to a place called Rako Science which charges the prices mentioned. Though just found a list of places that offer antigen testing for a fraction of the price. I will pop in and sus it out once I've recovered.

Cheers for your help Mr Duck

No worries! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, assorted said:

Yeah, I’m looking at this place which I *think* will work to take a “Antigen Lateral Flow Fit To Fly” test the day i fly out, at heathrow, for £35….

https://www.expresstest.co.uk

To be honest, some of the testing in the UK is a bit of a minefield (often the certs are non-compliant…I’ve had colleagues that have had to get re-tested at great expense)…but the US isn’t overly fussy (ie, doesn’t require QR code). So most professionally administered tests are grand. We were en route to Doha a while back and one of the guys didn’t get their documents approved in time (some random lad in an office in Qatar had to manually approve, but it was Friday and there appeared to be no one there). Anyway, had to wait til next morning to fly, so checked into hotel in Heathrow for the night, however his PCR results expired so he needed a new test and used the lads you have linked to above. I use Randox, have had 20+ tests with them over the last 6-8 months and all went smoothly (Ag test results in about 20 mins) and were valid for entry into countries all over the world (some with ludicrous restrictions). They have a test centre at Heathrow too (https://ldn.randox.com/covid-19-booking/?loc_id=1). Definitely acceptable for entry to US (and quickly approved on VeriFLY). Have used them 5 times for travel to US over the last few months. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

To be honest, some of the testing in the UK is a bit of a minefield (often the certs are non-compliant…I’ve had colleagues that have had to get re-tested at great expense)…but the US isn’t overly fussy (ie, doesn’t require QR code). So most professionally administered tests are grand. We were en route to Doha a while back and one of the guys didn’t get their documents approved in time (some random lad in an office in Qatar had to manually approve, but it was Friday and there appeared to be no one there). Anyway, had to wait til next morning to fly, so checked into hotel in Heathrow for the night, however his PCR results expired so he needed a new test and used the lads you have linked to above. I use Randox, have had 20+ tests with them over the last 6-8 months and all went smoothly (Ag test results in about 20 mins) and were valid for entry into countries all over the world (some with ludicrous restrictions). They have a test centre at Heathrow too (https://ldn.randox.com/covid-19-booking/?loc_id=1). Definitely acceptable for entry to US (and quickly approved on VeriFLY). Have used them 5 times for travel to US over the last few months. 

Thanks very much for the advice! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Ollie7490 said:

The testing stations I've seen here are $175 for a next day result. Problem is I fly on a Monday and they seem to be closed on Sunday. The test needs to be within 1 day of travel so I'd have to pay for a test the day I fly and use the urgent 6hr service. $325 😳

Wowsers, I had to pay for testing a couple of times last year for some travels and thought 90 euros was a rip off, and that was for same day results, on one occasion I had the results before I’d even got home from the testing station.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, assorted said:

Thanks very much for the advice! 

+1 to Randox. I'm in a similar boat to @Toilet Duck, I've lost count of the number I've done with them for the most part they've been seemless. Use a Gmail or similar when providing a contact email for your cert though, I had problems with my work email which they said had happened to others too.

Safe travels mate ✌️

Edited by TheDayman
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Ollie7490 said:

The testing stations I've seen here are $175 for a next day result. Problem is I fly on a Monday and they seem to be closed on Sunday. The test needs to be within 1 day of travel so I'd have to pay for a test the day I fly and use the urgent 6hr service. $325 😳

When I flew back to the US from Berlin, I just went and got a $15 antigen 'results in 20 minutes' from an official testing place (they administered it) and used the emailed results to show negative. As long as the email shows the five requirements (name of testing place, type of test, result, I can't remember the others but it's pretty basic stuff) you are good. The whole $$$ "FlySafe" marketing bs is just to scare you into getting the more expensive ones. Flight agents just want to see you tested negative with an antigen performed by a legit center.

Edit: Found it:

  1. Type of test (indicating it is a NAAT or antigen test)
  2. Entity issuing the result (e.g., laboratory, healthcare entity, or telehealth service)
  3. Sample collection date
    1.  A negative test result must show the sample was taken no more than 1 day before the flight.
    2.  A positive test result for documentation of recovery from COVID-19 must show the sample was taken within the 90 days before the flight.
  4. Information that identifies the person (full name plus at least one other identifier such as date of birth or passport number)
  5. Test result

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

Edited by beefykoala
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyone here flying with British Airways? I am freakin out with the current situation they have, constantly cancelling flights and aparently with a "sumer strike" on the horizon. I am flying from Europe, not far away, but still. I am going on Tuesday early morning and if they cancel me the flight in the terminal I'd be fu**ed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, AlexOvd said:

Anyone here flying with British Airways? I am freakin out with the current situation they have, constantly cancelling flights and aparently with a "sumer strike" on the horizon. I am flying from Europe, not far away, but still. I am going on Tuesday early morning and if they cancel me the flight in the terminal I'd be fu**ed.

I wouldn’t worry too much and just keep an eye on your email. BA have been cancelling lots of flights but (almost) always giving two weeks+ notice so that they don’t have to pay compo. It means that most passengers get on to alternative flights without much inconvenience and no extra ££. Keeping everything crossed for a smooth journey. See you in the field!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Two weeks today we'll be on our way! They did change our flight though for a later one, meaning we'll have a longer layover in Toronto. Good thing we get lounge access for free booze (and have an aisle seat on the long hauler!)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/5/2022 at 2:31 PM, Hugh with a P said:

Hi.  Thought I would update you on this .... I kept hounding Christopher all week about having our tickets posted to our Irish address.  He finally caved this morning.  Got an email from him advising me that my details have been changed from 'collection' to delivery' and will be posted to my Irish address.  I checked on the See tickets order tracker and it has indeed been changed.  Delighted !!!

Others in my group have been dealing with Dan and Rosie, both very helpful.  Some of our group changed their address to a UK one, others did as I did and kept hounding them until they agreed to post to their Irish addresses.   

Not sure where you are located but it's worth hassling them to change it to your own address if you're nervous about them going to your friends Mums house.  

We got our posted to us in Ireland in 2019 before Brexit. The only option this time around was box office collection. Do you think post Brexit you will have to pay import fees if they post them over?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/29/2022 at 1:34 PM, Thelads said:

We got our posted to us in Ireland in 2019 before Brexit. The only option this time around was box office collection. Do you think post Brexit you will have to pay import fees if they post them over?

That's an interesting one, never thought of that.

I would imagine that as the service (i.e the festival) is happening in the UK, no customs fee would apply. That said, because the ticket has value and is being sent across the border you've now made me slightly concerned...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/28/2022 at 1:22 PM, beefykoala said:

Two weeks today we'll be on our way! They did change our flight though for a later one, meaning we'll have a longer layover in Toronto. Good thing we get lounge access for free booze (and have an aisle seat on the long hauler!)

I got exit row seating when I rebooked my flights last year. Might as well get the leg room when the seats are there for the taking!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, TheDayman said:

That's an interesting one, never thought of that.

I would imagine that as the service (i.e the festival) is happening in the UK, no customs fee would apply. That said, because the ticket has value and is being sent across the border you've now made me slightly concerned...

I guess it depends on how the country's customs and post services have improved... I read stories of people getting a parcel with marmelade and shortbread from their mom from the UK to Germany and being taxed...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, moogster said:

I guess it depends on how the country's customs and post services have improved... I read stories of people getting a parcel with marmelade and shortbread from their mom from the UK to Germany and being taxed...

Tbh, I'm less worried about the cost and more worried about the tickets getting held up for a week or so... With dispatch @ 39% and only 3 weeks to go before we depart at 7am on Monday 20th, the margin for error is getting smaller by the day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Right so, who wants the bad news?

Curiosity got the better of me so I rang customs... No Irish duty is due on the tickets so they should be sent through to peoples addresses. HOWEVER, An Post moved to an automated system for checking customs duties which they told me may flag the envelope depending on how See Tickets have declared them. An incorrect declaration might mean tickets get automatically sent back to See Tickets or they could end up stuck in customs for a few weeks.

Tbf to the chap on the phone, he was very helpful but I think we all need to collectively pray to the ticket Gods now.

Fingers & toes crossed people...

Edited by TheDayman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh no!  It's just a couple of pieces of paper!

On the bright side someone posted in another thread that campervan tickets could be picked up there, and not at Gate A. Of course that would probably mean a lot of needed emails/calls to see ticket but hopefully not an impossible trek to Gate A?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, TheDayman said:

Right so, who wants the bad news?

Curiosity got the better of me so I rang customs... No Irish duty is due on the tickets so they should be sent through to peoples addresses. HOWEVER, An Post moved to an automated system for checking customs duties which they told me may flag the envelope depending on how See Tickets have declared them. An incorrect declaration might mean tickets get automatically sent back to See Tickets or they could end up stuck in customs for a few weeks.

Tbf to the chap on the phone, he was very helpful but I think we all need to collectively pray to the ticket Gods now.

Fingers & toes crossed people...

Oh god, I'm starting to regret changing to Delivery now !  I was beginning to get a bit worried about timings BEFORE I read your update, now I'm really worried. 

On a related note, I got a thing from An Post through the door last Thursday saying I had to pay a custom charge on something before it would be released (first time it had happened TBH).  I paid it straight away but it still hasn't been released 4 working days on!  Doesn't inspire confidence in their automated system.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Hugh with a P said:

Oh god, I'm starting to regret changing to Delivery now !  I was beginning to get a bit worried about timings BEFORE I read your update, now I'm really worried. 

On a related note, I got a thing from An Post through the door last Thursday saying I had to pay a custom charge on something before it would be released (first time it had happened TBH).  I paid it straight away but it still hasn't been released 4 working days on!  Doesn't inspire confidence in their automated system.  

Keep the faith - here's hoping they'll come through no problem and sure if they don't, I suppose we're just back to square one and see tickets will have to make the tickets available at the box office.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, TheDayman said:

Keep the faith - here's hoping they'll come through no problem and sure if they don't, I suppose we're just back to square one and see tickets will have to make the tickets available at the box office.

True

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...