The International Contingent

beefykoala

45 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

We're trying for resale. One of our group of 4 is in Australia, and the rest are in the UK. If I give him my debit card details to pay (if he gets through), would there be any issues with that, to your knowledge?

I've never heard of physical location making any difference. If it's a UK debit then it should be ok.

3 minutes ago, moogster said:

I've never heard of physical location making any difference. If it's a UK debit then it should be ok.

Yep the only thing to be aware of is if the card needs approval or a confirmation code, but that can easily be solved with good communication.

4 hours ago, Stokesy10 said:

We're trying for resale. One of our group of 4 is in Australia, and the rest are in the UK. If I give him my debit card details to pay (if he gets through), would there be any issues with that, to your knowledge?

Depending on how and where your debit card has been used the purchase could be blocked by a location security conflict. Put simply, if the card is being used in the UK then suddenly switches to a foreign location bank security could question or veto the transaction, especially if the sum involved is considerable. This happened to me when I travelled to South Africa a couple of years ago.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lycra said:

Depending on how and where your debit card has been used the purchase could be blocked by a location security conflict. Put simply, if the card is being used in the UK then suddenly switches to a foreign location bank security could question or veto the transaction, especially if the sum involved is considerable. This happened to me when I travelled to South Africa a couple of years ago.

Thanks for this. Surely I'd just get an "authenticator" notification and have to approve it through my banking app?

7 hours ago, Stokesy10 said:

Thanks for this. Surely I'd just get an "authenticator" notification and have to approve it through my banking app?

I tried to book our flights over using my NZ account and it kept failing on the authenticator, so i switched to trying from my UK account, had to authenticate it on the App, but it worked no problem at all and it was for 4 tickets in business class, so not a small amount of money at all. In the end it looks like its mostly down to the bank, ASB does see seem to be risk averse, difficult to spend your own money with them sometimes, maybe just worth checking with your bank in advance if you don't have other options if your first try fails.

3 hours ago, The other Bellboy said:

I tried to book our flights over using my NZ account and it kept failing on the authenticator, so i switched to trying from my UK account, had to authenticate it on the App, but it worked no problem at all and it was for 4 tickets in business class, so not a small amount of money at all. In the end it looks like its mostly down to the bank, ASB does see seem to be risk averse, difficult to spend your own money with them sometimes, maybe just worth checking with your bank in advance if you don't have other options if your first try fails.

That's a great shout, no harm me contacting my bank and seeking clarity. Appreciate that.

12 hours ago, Stokesy10 said:

My transaction was blocked even though I authorised it through my banking app. As I understand it from the subsequent conversation with bank security, the transaction was stopped/queried because in my bank's eyes insufficient travel time had elapsed between using my card at a UK terminal and then its subsequent use abroad. 

Edited by Lycra
  • Thanks 1