The International Contingent

beefykoala

On 1/15/2022 at 5:54 AM, Calvin Klein said:

Not feeling good AT ALL. 

Main thing is being able to afford the trip, which is not looking good. But then I am vaccinated with Sputnik, which is not recognized by most countries as valid, so I would have to quarantine I guess? 
The Mrs is terrified of crowds now so that wouldn't be very pleasant either. 

So...yeah, not looking good. I still don't completely accept that I will be giving up the tickets though. 

Ah, sorry to hear that Calv. Yeah Sputnik is a problem when it comes to travel, but for the UK I believe it just means you'll not be considered fully vaccinated, so you'll have to follow the guidelines, which basically consist of a couple of tests. That's if those requirements are even in place - they seem to be planning to discontinue lots of this stuff in the near future, so you may end up being OK.

I can relate to the cost of things. It's a horrible experience for my bank account every time I fly back.

Fingers crossed things will work out for you both.

On 1/15/2022 at 4:30 AM, MaxPower said:

Flights not booked yet but feeling good about it - currently trying to work out how I can make the trip from Sydney while taking the minimal amount of annual leave. 

For 2019, I took off from Wellington on Sunday afternoon and finally parked up near the festival at 1am on the Tuesday and then flew back on the Monday after the festival - absolutely knackered for the whole festival, i tried like you to minimise my time off work and for me it pretty much ruined the whole trip. Hopefully you are younger and fitter than me but if you can spare the odd extra day or two before the festival then it's really time well spent - especially given how special this Glastonbury will be. If only i'd known what was to follow after the 2019 i would have allowed quite a few more days for the trip. 

55 minutes ago, The other Bellboy said:

For 2019, I took off from Wellington on Sunday afternoon and finally parked up near the festival at 1am on the Tuesday and then flew back on the Monday after the festival - absolutely knackered for the whole festival, i tried like you to minimise my time off work and for me it pretty much ruined the whole trip. Hopefully you are younger and fitter than me but if you can spare the odd extra day or two before the festival then it's really time well spent - especially given how special this Glastonbury will be. If only i'd known what was to follow after the 2019 i would have allowed quite a few more days for the trip. 

'kin hell, mate! If I'd attempted that when I lived in NZ I'd have still had jet lag from the first leg when I was flying back. The one time I flew back for Glastonbury I gave myself a month here

10 hours ago, kalifire said:

Ah, sorry to hear that Calv. Yeah Sputnik is a problem when it comes to travel, but for the UK I believe it just means you'll not be considered fully vaccinated, so you'll have to follow the guidelines, which basically consist of a couple of tests. That's if those requirements are even in place - they seem to be planning to discontinue lots of this stuff in the near future, so you may end up being OK.

I can relate to the cost of things. It's a horrible experience for my bank account every time I fly back.

Fingers crossed things will work out for you both.

Thanks! It's always tricky traveling that far when you live here. Mainly because we have crazy inflation so it gets more and more difficult to afford it every year. We've had over 50% inflation every year for the last 3 or 4 years I think.
I've been able to travel almost every year so I can't complain. The advantages of having no kids I guess 😄 But this year it's  not looking likely. The wife left her job too so it gets tighter. 

I'm fine with missing the festival but I do wish I could be there the first one after all this shit 😞

OT: I was finally able to get my Italian citizenship last year but too late to use it in the UK 😡

11 hours ago, philipsteak said:

'kin hell, mate! If I'd attempted that when I lived in NZ I'd have still had jet lag from the first leg when I was flying back. The one time I flew back for Glastonbury I gave myself a month here

That wasn't my shortest trip either that year, in May, i flew back to complete the sale of my house, landed on Thursday afternoon and flew back on the Saturday! 

A month is what we will hope for the next time we come over, wouldn't attempt anything less than 3 weeks in the future. It is the lack of sleep that's the killer, with the jet lag and the booze, I hardly slept in 2019 

8 minutes ago, The other Bellboy said:

That wasn't my shortest trip either that year, in May, i flew back to complete the sale of my house, landed on Thursday afternoon and flew back on the Saturday! 

A month is what we will hope for the next time we come over, wouldn't attempt anything less than 3 weeks in the future. It is the lack of sleep that's the killer, with the jet lag and the booze, I hardly slept in 2019 

You wouldn't even have time for jet lag to kick in for that. 

If I remember rightly I arrived about 5/6 days before (with a days delay because fights out of Queenstown were canceled). By the time I got to Glastonbury I was just starting to get over the jet lag but was exhausted from not sleeping properly. Pitched the tent, had a lie down to chill out, maybe 6pm. Woke up 12 (maybe more) hours later. Felt absolutely amazing for the rest of the festival. Even on the night shift. 

18 hours ago, The other Bellboy said:

A friend of mine lived in New York, and then Boston from Aug 2014 - June 2017, he came back to the UK for the 2015 & 2016 festivals and then managed to bring forward the end of his work contract a few weeks when he came back for the 2017 festival so he didn't have to go back to the States again for just a month.

He came back for two weeks each time, usually landing on the Saturday before the festival, and leaving the Saturday after giving enough time to catch up with friends and family, and also a bit of recovery time from the festival!

On 1/17/2022 at 6:12 AM, The other Bellboy said:

God I was probably planning on keeping it even tighter than that really - leaving Sydney on the Monday evening to get to the festival for Wednesday morning and fly back the following Monday…

to be honest I average 3 to 4 hours sleep a night at the festival, so think I’ll find it manageable.

Edited by MaxPower

On 1/18/2022 at 7:53 AM, philipsteak said:

You wouldn't even have time for jet lag to kick in for that. 

If I remember rightly I arrived about 5/6 days before (with a days delay because fights out of Queenstown were canceled). By the time I got to Glastonbury I was just starting to get over the jet lag but was exhausted from not sleeping properly. Pitched the tent, had a lie down to chill out, maybe 6pm. Woke up 12 (maybe more) hours later. Felt absolutely amazing for the rest of the festival. Even on the night shift. 

That sleep must have felt amazing and i can see how that would have set you up for the rest of the festival. Even if people aren't generally long sleepers there's something horrible about jet lag and its something that you just can't get used too. 

16 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

A friend of mine lived in New York, and then Boston from Aug 2014 - June 2017, he came back to the UK for the 2015 & 2016 festivals and then managed to bring forward the end of his work contract a few weeks when he came back for the 2017 festival so he didn't have to go back to the States again for just a month.

He came back for two weeks each time, usually landing on the Saturday before the festival, and leaving the Saturday after giving enough time to catch up with friends and family, and also a bit of recovery time from the festival!

That sounds like a great amount of time for that sort of time difference, about 5 hrs if i remember correctly. Did have a couple of months working in Montreal a few years back and i remember having no problem with the lag when i got there but it was worse going back to the UK. 

13 hours ago, MaxPower said:

God I was probably planning on keeping it even tighter than that really - leaving Sydney on the Monday evening to get to the festival for Wednesday morning and fly back the following Monday…

to be honest I average 3 to 4 hours sleep a night at the festival, so think I’ll find it manageable.

All i can say is that i've never been much of a sleeper - to the point that when i worked shifts i started during a second job as i was awake all day anyway. I can't tell if i suffered so badly in 2019 because of just the jet lag / length of travel or if getting older was a factor. I have done a lot of regular long distance travel but having the festival on the end of the journey means you won't have any time to relax without missing something you've travelled so far for. We never know what could happen for future festivals so if there's any chance you can spare additional holidays then personally i'd fully recommend you use them. 2019 was my tenth time there and i still hate the fact that i couldn't enjoy it fully.

Hopefully you have a great time whatever time you give to it and we get an update in about 5.5 months time 🙂

2 hours ago, The other Bellboy said:

That sounds like a great amount of time for that sort of time difference, about 5 hrs if i remember correctly. Did have a couple of months working in Montreal a few years back and i remember having no problem with the lag when i got there but it was worse going back to the UK. 

He never seemed to suffer from any sort of jet lag, from recollection he usually picked nice daytime flights!

The 2016 festival I think he actually had to fly back on the Friday and iirc he had only just about recovered from the festival as he hit it quite hard on the goodies that year!

I’ve done the arrive Saturday the weekend before the festival and leave Monday night after from Singapore in 2019 but will be attempting it from Sydney this time. It’s madness, but I’ve not really got any other option as that’s the only time I can take and circumstances are now different to when i got the ticket (hello Reckoner Junior) I’m comfortable with the travel there as I can lock myself down but pretty concerned about the logistics of getting tested before traveling home if that’s still the rule, let alone the likelihood of a positive test meaning I can’t get home. Good luck to all the other Internationals.  

On 1/14/2022 at 10:23 PM, Memory Man said:

If youre vaccinated & can prove it i personally doubt you will need to test. If testing even for the vaccinated is brought in, it would likely be a festival decision as at no point have uk gov required testing for vaccinated & i personally doubt the festival will go over & above the minimum requirement given the burden of checking at the gates

testing was not required for the vaccinated for summer 2021 festivals in UK. No reason to think it will in 2022

if you aint vaccinated then all bets are off but likely just a negative test 

Talking about getting into the uk. I got 3 jabs in me so thats not an issue. At this point there is a negative test before I fly and then I need to test again within 48 hours of entry into the uk plus isolate. Hoping things get better so its not such a pain. As it regards the festival they havent even explained what theyre doing which they will have to when the balance window comes up. Cause youll have to make a choice based on your status. Inhope glasto says you need full vaccination plus maybe a booster so they wont gst anyone who just needs a teat to get in.

4 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Inhope glasto says you need full vaccination plus maybe a booster so they wont gst anyone who just needs a teat to get in.

The problem is they will have to follow the government rules at the time. If a week before the government announced that big events need a test to enter then Glastonbury will have to enforce it. 

I can see them pre-empting this and asking for a LFT. 

My group is currently trying to decide between going early and spending the weekend in London to be sure we are in the country, or waiting until the last minute to avoid potential infections over the weekend. 

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question about ticket delivery. Having emigrated in 2020 this year will be our first year as a ‘foreigner’ I’m in a quandary whether to get the tickets sent to us in Luxembourg or to my parents in the UK. The post from the UK post Brexit is really quite slow so I’m wondering how far in advance do they post the tickets? I could just play it safe and get the tickets sent to my parents but that would mean a long detour to collect them and would mean coming to the UK before we had intended to.

Edited by Smeble

22 minutes ago, Smeble said:

Quick question about ticket delivery. Having emigrated in 2020 this year will be our first year as a ‘foreigner’ I’m in a quandary whether to get the tickets sent to us in Luxembourg or to my parents in the UK. The post from the UK post Brexit is really quite slow so I’m wondering how far in advance do they post the tickets? I could just play it safe and get the tickets sent to my parents but that would mean a long detour to collect them and would mean coming to the UK before we had intended to.

If I was you I wouldn't take the chance. I'd get them sent to your folks house and go and give them a visit beforehand.

On 1/14/2022 at 6:54 PM, Calvin Klein said:

Not feeling good AT ALL. 

Main thing is being able to afford the trip, which is not looking good. But then I am vaccinated with Sputnik, which is not recognized by most countries as valid, so I would have to quarantine I guess? 
The Mrs is terrified of crowds now so that wouldn't be very pleasant either. 

So...yeah, not looking good. I still don't completely accept that I will be giving up the tickets though. 

Do you have light brown slightly thinning hair, a shortish snubby nose, squarish jaw and blue eyes by any chance? 

8 hours ago, Smeble said:

Doesn’t help you now of course, but an advantage of coach tickets for us internationals is the lack of worry about ticket delivery.

8 hours ago, Smeble said:

Personally i've never felt brave enough to let the tickets get posted to outside of the UK, from what i have read though, it doesn't seem to have been a problem for many, if you were intending to leave home 2-4 weeks before (like some do) then posting to a UK address would be a must, but if you are leaving home a day or 2 before then getting them sent home would be just as safe as to the UK. We have had issues with UK delivery in the past and i know people who have had to collect their tickets from gate A on the day. I'm sure i've read that SEE do prioritise oversea's postings but i can't point to where i've seen it. The joys of the Glastonbury tickets - think this is why people are so happy when they finally walk through the gates - you can never relax until you get onto site! Good luck 🙂

9 hours ago, Smeble said:

An alternative might be to get them posted to your parents, then for them to post them onwards to a DPD pickup store / ups etc thats near the airport or enroute. Throws a bit of extra risk in but would save a lot of time

I had a ticket posted to Australia in 2015. The first and last time I’ll do that. It took weeks to arrive and I was convinced it had been lost. I contacted the office and arranged to pick up a replacement in a collection booth they have somewhere near PGA, but it really put a dampener on the whole experience which was supposed to be exciting.

In the end, my ticket did arrive so when I arrived I just used it and hoped they hadn’t cancelled it somehow. However clever and secure tickets are, I don’t think it’s possible for them to actually cancel it as a valid ticket, is it? I don’t recall tickets ever being scanned and cross matched with a database or anything like that.