The International Contingent

beefykoala

How are we feeling International crew?

I’m finding it a bit strange that my attendance next year isn’t reliant on any of the normal things like getting a ticket, having leave from work approved or being able to save up the money. Rather, its all going to come down to weather I can get vaccinated and weather NZ opens its borders.

Strange times. It’s both hard to get excited but also impossible not to get excited now that the rumours are picking up and we’re stuck in the depths of winter here.

Edited by Mark H

55 minutes ago, Mark H said:

I’m finding it a bit strange that my attendance next year isn’t reliant on any of the normal things like getting a ticket, having leave from work approved or being able to save up the money. Rather, its all going to come down to weather I can get vaccinated and weather NZ opens its borders.

Strange times. It’s both hard to get excited but also impossible not to get excited now that the rumours are picking up and we’re stuck in the depths of winter here.

Got a ticket, and I’m convinced the fest will go ahead... but still got some doubt over getting there. Especially this week with the travel bubble popping and Wellington in lockdown.

I’m confident on the vaccine front though.

5 minutes ago, John the Moth said:

Got a ticket, and I’m convinced the fest will go ahead... but still got some doubt over getting there. Especially this week with the travel bubble popping and Wellington in lockdown.

I’m confident on the vaccine front though.

Wellingtonian here! Understand your thinking. Fingers crossed we both get there. 

Holding steady. 

I've started (re)booking (cancellable) hotels, car rental for 2022. Next month I'll start keeping an eye on flights. I have a BA travel credit from 2020 that they threaten is only good for travel up to April 2022. 😕 

I'm not as confident as others that the festival is definite, but I want to have it to look forward to so am planning as if it will.

I’m confident the festival will happen next year, and pretty confident of being there. Australia’s said borders will open by “mid-2022” but I think realistically they’re going to open for vaccinated travellers earlier than that. Maybe early 2022. I’m not going to book anything at this stage though - I’ll wait until later in the year when it becomes more obvious. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Mark H said:

Just gotta get the flight for next year and im good. Still concerned there is gonna be a covid tax with Virgin Atlantic.

4 hours ago, kalifire said:

I’m confident the festival will happen next year, and pretty confident of being there. Australia’s said borders will open by “mid-2022” but I think realistically they’re going to open for vaccinated travellers earlier than that. Maybe early 2022. I’m not going to book anything at this stage though - I’ll wait until later in the year when it becomes more obvious. 

I agree with this. Once everyone has been offered a jab I think the NZ Govt is going to loose social license for border restrictions very quickly. By early 2022 people will have been separated form friends and family for two years. When those that want to be jabbed have been, I think the country will have no choice but to open up.

• 1 month later...

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-57992929

Will we finally be able to honor our family reservation at Worthy Pastures on August 20? Bloody hope so.

Adults are vaccinated, but our 2 children (5 years old) are obviously not.
Hopefully day 2 PCR testing will also be scrapped, I would like to spare our children the experience as much as possible, not to mention that the farm is probably not a valid address to have the testing kits delivered to, and that 4x£100 would be a difficult overhead to handle.

Another penalizing point for us: we are from France, a.k.a. the only country in the "amber plus" list.

The suspense is killing me 🙂

On 6/26/2021 at 3:56 AM, kalifire said:

Really hope the overseas contingent make it to the festival.  More and more it’s looking like if folk are double vaccinated then there should be no restrictions. We are desperately hoping to be able to travel to NZ at the end of next year. Havnt seen our daughter and grandkids for over two years now.  I’m sure you will be on the farm in June. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Really hope the overseas contingent make it to the festival.  More and more it’s looking like if folk are double vaccinated then there should be no restrictions. We are desperately hoping to be able to travel to NZ at the end of next year. Havnt seen our daughter and grandkids for over two years now.  I’m sure you will be on the farm in June. 

Oh I’ll be there come hell or high water. Now to just not get screwed over by Virgin Atlantic on re booking.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Oh I’ll be there come hell or high water. Now to just not get screwed over by Virgin Atlantic on re booking.

That’s the spirit! It will be such a tremendous feeling going onto the farm next June whether you’ve travelled across the Atlantic, the Pacific or just the Bristol Channel ! 

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

That’s the spirit! It will be such a tremendous feeling going onto the farm next June whether you’ve travelled across the Atlantic, the Pacific or just the Bristol Channel ! 

I wouldve traded so much to have had this happen in 2020. And def wouldve been fine with no gigs for 18 months after. I dont know if Ill ever get to go back after this one anyway, thats the main thing.

Another Wellingtonian here. I'm less confident now because of freedom day. My thinking is we'll still have to do 2 weeks in quarantine on the way back, even if vaccinated. Or the lack of fucks given by the UK will just create a new vaccine resistant strain and it'll be cancelled anyway, and we can just start this process all over again. 

Would love to think it was possible could be there in 2022. Was really hoping to be there in 2020, but didn't sort tickets and then the world went to shit. 

Recently moved so the kids school terms don't play nice with Glasto anyway, doubt the wife would be too happy leacing here with the kids and me just heading off on my own, although it could be worth the hassle it would cause lol.

Ecuador is on the UK red list and not visited since left in 2010, but alas am beginning to accept perhaps I'll never go to glasto again 😢

So the Australian PM has today announced a vaccination target plan agreed with health officials and State premiers, which basically requires the entire country (and each individual State) to reach a 70% vaccination rate before anything significant changes (i.e. they adopt a different mindset about cases and lockdowns).

But international travel won't re-open until 80% of the country have been fully vaccinated.

We're currently on 14%.

A UK christmas in 2021 has now all but flown out of the window, but we receive a huge increase in vaccination supply in September/October, so I'm more confident about next June.

3 minutes ago, kalifire said:

So the Australian PM has today announced a vaccination target plan agreed with health officials and State premiers, which basically requires the entire country (and each individual State) to reach a 70% vaccination rate before anything significant changes (i.e. they adopt a different mindset about cases and lockdowns).

But international travel won't re-open until 80% of the country have been fully vaccinated.

We're currently on 14%.

A UK christmas in 2021 has now all but flown out of the window, but we receive a huge increase in vaccination supply in September/October, so I'm more confident about next June.

Why is Australia so far behind on the vaccine rollout?

1 minute ago, gooner1990 said:

Why is Australia so far behind on the vaccine rollout?

Because the government put all their eggs in the AstraZeneca basket (turning down millions of Pfizer last year on the basis that AZ could be developed onshore), then massively mishandled their communication about side effects, resulting in confusing and inconsistent messaging. This created a significant degree of vaccine hesitancy (not anti-vax, just nervousness) and vaccination take-up for older people suffered.

Now the official advice is that AZ is available for anyone over 60 and - according to the PM - anyone who wants one, although his own health officials and State premiers publicly disagree. It's a shit show.

Right now, we're dependent on more Pfizer to make any significant progress, but we're running out, and won't get much more until at least September. In most parts of Australia, people under 40 are still unable to book their jab.

I now realize British Airways extended my travel credit to April 2023 and so am now waiting for flight prices for Glasto dates to drop. I'm going to plan for it happening until I go or until it isn't, though I'm less optimistic than others here that it will actually happen. 

On 7/30/2021 at 10:38 AM, kalifire said:

Because the government put all their eggs in the AstraZeneca basket (turning down millions of Pfizer last year on the basis that AZ could be developed onshore), then massively mishandled their communication about side effects, resulting in confusing and inconsistent messaging. This created a significant degree of vaccine hesitancy (not anti-vax, just nervousness) and vaccination take-up for older people suffered.

Now the official advice is that AZ is available for anyone over 60 and - according to the PM - anyone who wants one, although his own health officials and State premiers publicly disagree. It's a shit show.

Right now, we're dependent on more Pfizer to make any significant progress, but we're running out, and won't get much more until at least September. In most parts of Australia, people under 40 are still unable to book their jab.

Sorry to hear about the latest lockdown. 

I’m sure one of the biggest scandals of the pandemic will be seen to be the bad messaging from governments and others of the AZ vaccine. The facts are there is little or no increase risk in blood clots, for example.

All the negative talk means thousands or perhaps hundreds of thousands will die in poorer countries where the AZ is the only realistic vaccine that can be deployed.

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

Two new local cases of unknown origin in Melbourne today, so we all know what that means... LOCKDOWN!!

Our sixth fucking one.

Theres going to be a 16th the way things are going with only 15% of people vaccinated

Edited by The Nal