The International Contingent

beefykoala

Might affect some travellers especially if they have already booked flights.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55348474

British Airways has cancelled services to more than 15 long-haul destinations next year.

Routes to cities in North America such as Pittsburgh, Calgary and Charleston have gone, alongside flights to Seoul, Kuala Lumpur and Osaka

....BA will also temporarily suspend flights to Sydney, Bangkok and San Jose during the summer of 2021.

On 12/15/2020 at 11:13 PM, MetaKate said:

Theres just too many variables. Unless the world is open and running, I fear the worst. 

Same here (albeit a much shorter distance) but more importantly, its the same for all of the touring bands and crews. One crew member from one band gets it and 2-3 weeks of the tour is cancelled, with no insurance comeback. No one is taking that risk. 

The festival isn't happening unless people just want to see Reef play all day for 3 days. 

• 2 weeks later...

This is the kind of thing that needs to start being set up quick sharpish. 

Even then, with Australia not vaccinating until March, there’s little hope of getting the jab before flights would need to be booked and June ticks around. I wouldn’t want to chance travelling to the UK and hoping to get vaccinated there to avoid mandatory quarantine on my return. 

It still looks like things are happening too late to facilitate international travel to Glasto, sadly. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was just looking at NZs vaccine rollout plan.

No vaccines approved as of yet, tentative commencement of rollout set for sometime in Apr-Jun for key workers.

That’s me out regardless of what happens in the UK and another year without seeing family and friends back home. My newest niece will be 2 before I meet her for the first time 😭

Edited by John the Moth

44 minutes ago, John the Moth said:

No vaccines approved as of yet, tentative commencement of rollout set for sometime in Apr-Jun for key workers.

Wow, I had no idea NZ we’re leaving it so late. It’s good that countries who need it the most can get it, but it sucks that we’ll end up missing Glasto if it somehow manages to take place this year. Also that meeting your niece will be so delayed 😔

7 hours ago, John the Moth said:

That’s me out regardless of what happens in the UK and another year without seeing family and friends back home. My newest niece will be 2 before I meet her for the first time 😭

Sorry to hear that. Our last trip out to see our daughter and grandkids was over two years ago. It’s going to be Xmas now hopefully. Incredible how we just took it for granted when they emigrated we would still see them every two years.  Once this shit storm has passed you will get on the farm and also see your wee niece. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/11/2021 at 3:17 PM, John the Moth said:

There's a big push to move it forward with the new UK and SA strains finally on our shores in managed isolation.

Almost everyone in my team at work thinks we"ll have a lockdown at some point soon (even though we have no community cases). We've had almost a year of relative freedom now so the people are getting blase about tracking their whereabouts, so if it gets out it will be a nightmare to track cases without a level four lockdown.

Some interesting comments from this article.

June is when he expects the first significant easing of travel restrictions, as the impact of vaccines begins to be felt...

...IATA is developing a new app that it hopes will make it easier for passengers to fly, by managing proof of Covid testing and vaccines in a way that satisfies governments and airlines around the world. It hopes to launch the app as soon as the end of March...

...I think that this will be the new norm that everybody will have to produce a vaccination certificate to board an aeroplane - and not only to board an aeroplane, a lot of countries would require that you be vaccinated before you come to the countries...

1 hour ago, Bryanrebe said:

We'd definitely still have to quarantine when we got back to New Zealand. At over $3000 for two people it's really not realistic. I'd rather wait and fly over in premium economy or something (if I could ever get a ticket to Glastonbury again).

And as both Mrs Moth and myself are self employed, it’s an extra two weeks each with no income too. 

I'm acting as though its unrealistic for me to go but I know theres maybe a 1% chance that I could..... 

I dont want to cancel my ticket before March 31 if the festival is still on because if the festival gets cancelled I want my ticket rolled over... hopefully things are clearer by then. 

19 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

I'm acting as though its unrealistic for me to go but I know theres maybe a 1% chance that I could..... 

I dont want to cancel my ticket before March 31 if the festival is still on because if the festival gets cancelled I want my ticket rolled over... hopefully things are clearer by then. 

Yeah I'm just going to hold onto oir ticket until the eleventh hour and hope for the best. Honestly can't see it going ahead with this new strand, unless we all just accept we're getting Covid. Rollout of vaccines isn't until July here so there's no way I'll be immune.

1 hour ago, John the Moth said:

And as both Mrs Moth and myself are self employed, it’s an extra two weeks each with no income too. 

Ugh that sucks. I can work from the hotel but honestly it's so much money for what's basically a fancy two week prison sentence. 

I'm quite relieved, if I can get away with saying that. The prospect of attending the festival this year was non-existent and I'd be gutted if it happened and I couldn't get to it (although I'd be thrilled for those who could). This move levels the playing field. I'd be amazed if international travel didn't allow us to get to the 2022 event.

Hi all,

Crushed for those in the UK that needed the festival as something to hope for this year. But travel from NZ was never going to be feasible so from a selfish perspective rolling tickets over is a good outcome. 

Hope those of you with flight credits can make all the logistics work 😀

6 minutes ago, Mark H said:

Hi all,

Crushed for those in the UK that needed the festival as something to hope for this year. But travel from NZ was never going to be feasible so from a selfish perspective rolling tickets over is a good outcome. 

Hope those of you with flight credits can make all the logistics work 😀

I kinda saw it coming and checked with the airline earlier this week. Flight has to be used by March 2022, so I’m off to claim my full refund.

Feel deeply for the UK folk (my Glasto crew are all UK based), but the clarity is a relief.

• Upvote 1

Hopefully today’s decision brings some relief to the international attendees who faced the horrible prospect of having a ticket but not able to travel. One of the great pleasures of the festival is seeing folk from all over the world, pitching your tent and finding where in the world your neighbours come from.   A small plus in this shit storm. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Hopefully today’s decision brings some relief to the international attendees who faced the horrible prospect of having a ticket but not able to travel. One of the great pleasures of the festival is seeing folk from all over the world, pitching your tent and finding where in the world your neighbours come from.   A small plus in this shit storm. 

Whilst it is a disappointment, I'm very grateful that we were informed as early as January. It was already frustrating holding out on a flight ticket, despite prices being at rock bottom, yet knowing it was unlikely if I'd even be able to travel. I also think that even in the event of the festival taking place this year, it wouldn't have felt right in the midst of the current global situation.

I have never been to Glastonbury, and have only experienced its magic in the videos online, and the people who sing its praises on here. I have hope that once this pandemic is sufficiently tackled, I'll be able to finally get to Worthy Farm, and share a cider with you all, rain or shine.

It's kinda a relief, but on the flip side, in the last year I've somehow managed to meet a giant group of like minded friends here in Canada and had convinced about 11 if them to try for tickets and go with me for 2022. It's going to be harder doing the year solo knowing what could have been, but I'm pretty happy to not be missing a year. 

48 minutes ago, Ragingbunion93 said:

Whilst it is a disappointment, I'm very grateful that we were informed as early as January. It was already frustrating holding out on a flight ticket, despite prices being at rock bottom, yet knowing it was unlikely if I'd even be able to travel. I also think that even in the event of the festival taking place this year, it wouldn't have felt right in the midst of the current global situation.

I have never been to Glastonbury, and have only experienced its magic in the videos online, and the people who sing its praises on here. I have hope that once this pandemic is sufficiently tackled, I'll be able to finally get to Worthy Farm, and share a cider with you all, rain or shine.

Yeah, I was getting worried they might wait til March and if it was a go then fares would be terribly priced.  They had to have some government guidance about this or else they wouldnt decided to push it another year.

• 2 months later...