The International Contingent

beefykoala

Who are you and where are you from? What time is it there? Are you from England or just visiting because you've heard how rad Glastonbury is? What festivals do you normally go to back home?

I'll start. I'm originally from England (Surrey) but moved to America when I met my now husband. We married and he got a job at a fancy government lab doing sciencey things, so we moved to Knoxville TN. It's currently 7:59 and I have a celebratory glass of wine because I got us (and my sister in law) tickets. I went three times back in 2003-05, and I am excited to see how it's evolved, and show him the part of me that's still a bit lost in translation. We tried in 2017 and 2019 but got absolutely nothing and it was devastating (especially as we'd booked flights and tent and everything), so today is a real success for us. Over here in Tennessee we have Bonnaroo which is like Leeds/Reading in the layout, but very Glasto-ish in vibe. Much warmer though.

I'll still be trying in the Sunday sales though because I have siblings and their other halves in the UK wanting tickets.

I moved to New Zealand last year after spending 30 years in blighty. Currently Friday, 1:21pm. 

Festival season starts in December here as its summer then. Seems to be a few decent lineups around (northern bass and rythum and vines happen over new years eve!) but I have yet to experience a kiwi festival. 

I've been to 4 of the last 5 Glastonbury festivals (14,15,16,17) and a handful of other festivals, but nothing really does compare to Glastonbury. 

I'll be online 9pm Sunday night attempting to get 3 tickets. I've heard it's easier outside of the UK, but only time will tell.

2 minutes ago, dreadwing said:

I moved to New Zealand last year after spending 30 years in blighty. Currently Friday, 1:21pm. 

Festival season starts in December here as its summer then. Seems to be a few decent lineups around (northern bass and rythum and vines happen over new years eve!) but I have yet to experience a kiwi festival. 

I've been to 4 of the last 5 Glastonbury festivals (14,15,16,17) and a handful of other festivals, but nothing really does compare to Glastonbury. 

I'll be online 9pm Sunday night attempting to get 3 tickets. I've heard it's easier outside of the UK, but only time will tell.

So you go back every year for Glasto? I'm going to use a chunk of my time off on this, do you have much time off left from your job? 

Good luck on Sunday night! It will be 4am Sunday morning here.

1 minute ago, beefykoala said:

So you go back every year for Glasto? I'm going to use a chunk of my time off on this, do you have much time off left from your job? 

Good luck on Sunday night! It will be 4am Sunday morning here.

No, I have only been here since Dec 2018. Although tempted, I decided to give this year a miss. I can't miss out on the 50th.

Life of a contractor, I just tell my boss I'm unavailable. As much time off as I like, I just don't get paid.

1 minute ago, dreadwing said:

No, I have only been here since Dec 2018. Although tempted, I decided to give this year a miss. I can't miss out on the 50th.

Life of a contractor, I just tell my boss I'm unavailable. As much time off as I like, I just don't get paid.

Ah makes more sense. And yep, this is the big one. It's going to be one incredible memory!

American here, specifically nyc. 

first Glastonbury in 2004 and have been a total of 8 times (04, 10, 11, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19).  I fell in love with it the first time and plan on coming back forever I suppose.  Being in NY means that ticket time is 4am for me.  Rough but obviously a necessary evil.  

Canada, its currently 7:14pm and I'm also having a glass of wine although for different reasons! 

I came to London the first time for Glastonbury specifically. I had it in my head that I wanted to go since about 2006, but didnt really see it as an achievable goal for a while. Been in 2016 2017 and 2019. I try to see a bit of Europe and/or the UK everytime I fly over. Not decided on this year yet, maybe southern France? 

In Canada I've been to Osheaga, Skookum, Way Home, Halifax pop explosion and have bought my ticket for Shambhala this year. 

Edited by MetaKate

OK, I’ll play.

Canadian originally, Newfoundland specifically though I’ve live a few places in Canada. Moved to Bermuda in the 90’s, met my wife and moved to England. First Glastonbury in 2009, been to all since except 2014 and 2019. Moved back to Bermuda in 2018 and didn’t sort myself in time for 2019, but couldn’t miss the 50th.

Coach tickets secured earlier so will be back in June,

Oh, and it’s 11pm here and I may just have a beer.

I’m British but live in Dubai (which has a pretty terrible live music scene, no festivals). Came to Glastonbury for the first time last year and fell head over heels in love, almost more relieved than excited to have secured tickets this year if you know what I mean? I can’t imagine my summer without those fields, now. 

Glasto is perfect timing to visit ‘home’ during the summer, for me and my wife to see colleagues in our UK offices and visit family. 

I'm from the UK but we live in Australia now and it's Friday afternoon....It'll be Sunday evening here when tickets go on sale.  We moved here 2009 and went to the festival every year prior to that..except in 2009 when my brother decided to get married that weekend.  We used to have little kids in tow when we went but they're now 18 and 21!!  We all came back to visit in 2014 and managed to get tickets from here in the October sale prior.  Last year we tried for my daughter who travelled Europe with her friends this summer and we never got a sniff of the ticket page even though we had 5-6 devices trying.  Now I'm 50 next May and Glastonbury 2020 is my birthday wish - I even tried blagging the Glastonbury office into giving priority to those turning 50 next year but got a polite no lol!  I've booked the flights, booked the camper van and now just need to secure those tickets on Sunday....no pressure.  I have a friend trying in the US and more trying in Portugal....we used to go together so this will be a bit of a reunion as well as a monster birthday party...for Glastonbury and ME!

There's plenty of festivals here in Melbourne but Glastonbury is such a tough act to follow.  We're off to falls festival in Tasmania for New Year...hopefully as a warm up for the big one next June.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE TRYING ON SUNDAY - HOPEFULLY SEE YOU AT THE PYRAMID...CHEERS!

I’ve been in NZ for the past 6 years. Came back in 2016 for Glastonbury and a few other bits such as the Euros, Radiohead at the Roundhouse, and a mates wedding. Came back again in 2017 specifically for Glastonbury. Missed out on coach tickets this morning but aiming for next year as well.

Edited by Ollie7490

Failed from here in Singapore yesterday. We've lived here 3 years now (and two years in Bangkok)  Will try again Sunday. 

Failed last year too, but got in with a volunteer place. We come back anyway to see family with our two young daughters. Glastonbury was my week away from Dad time. Hopefully doing the same if all goes well on Sunday.

I did go in 2009-11 back when I was a student at Nottingham university. 

New Zealander here. Attended Glasto in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013 and 2015. It was a phase of our life where saved all our money and all our leave from work for one big holiday at Glastonbury each year followed by a European beach break. We have the best memories of that time!!

Trying for tickets this Sunday after 5 years away. But the tickets are only the first step as we then need to convince both our parents to take a holiday of their own and look after our two year old in London while we are at the festival. So this is the start of a complicated journey, but hoping that Sunday ticks off the first in a series of challenges to get us there.

Good luck to all trying and congratulations to those already successful!

I'm from Buenos Aires, Argentina and living here, still.

We went to our first Glastonbury in 2013 and fell in love with the place. Returned in 2014, 2016 and 2017. Always making the trip from home and making it a part of our vacations.

In 2017, we did the handfasting ceremony which we consider our marriage. We always go on our own so our witnesses were all glastonbury strangers. 

Failed to get tickets in every sale last year.

Managed to get 2 coach tickets yesterday. Now it's a matter of seeing how much shittier our economy gets and if we can still afford it. 

Oh, it's 11.12 AM.

Edited by Calvin Klein

4 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

can I add a particular welcome to our European contingent ...... lets hope we stick with you as long as possible and if?  we leave you at least Glastonbury and Music should unite us once a year 

Of course! ?

I'm a kiwi! Lived in London for the naughties, did 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 glastos.

Coincidental that it just happens to be this year that I can make it back to glasto as well as it being the 50th anniversary. I feel in my bones that I'm going but I don't know if that is because I am or if it is pure hope and optimism! I'm trying not to overthink it, but I'm hanging out for 9.30pm tomorrow night, by which time my fate will be known

Either way, I have a bit of ticket anxiety happening!!

Good luck everyone

19 minutes ago, iloveglasto2020 said:

I'm a kiwi! Lived in London for the naughties, did 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 glastos.

Coincidental that it just happens to be this year that I can make it back to glasto as well as it being the 50th anniversary. I feel in my bones that I'm going but I don't know if that is because I am or if it is pure hope and optimism! I'm trying not to overthink it, but I'm hanging out for 9.30pm tomorrow night, by which time my fate will be known

Either way, I have a bit of ticket anxiety happening!!

Good luck everyone

Best of luck! I had a strange feeling about this one, same as you, and we got coach tickets on Thursday. So maybe you already know!

I'm from Scotland but moved to Sweden last year (actually it's one year to the day that we moved into our apartment here!). Didn't get tickets last year and decided not to try in the re-sale so I'm desperate to have some luck on Sunday. Prior to that I've been in 2015, 2016 and 2017.

Should be pretty easy for me to get there and back (you can fly directly from Stockholm to Bristol on Easy Jet by the looks of it), will be booking flights on Sunday should things go well. 

Wow, quite a few people spread about. I'm originally from England but haven't lived there since 2011... been in China, Spain, now Germany where I live with my wife and newborn son. Went to G in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2014 (during a six week break at home), and 2017 (from Germany).

Dresden is my home for the foreseeable future, but Glasto is always in the back of my mind, it's a chance to see friends, soak up British culture and generally let loose - done plenty of other fests but nothing has ever compared to it, Sziget was close but the line-up was never anywhere near as good, and not quite as magical.

I'm hoping to get tickets on Sunday, fingers crossed!