For those who got tickets....did you refresh or not?

LintonG

I had a few devices on the go. The first 2 that got to the holding page I had 1 on auto refresh and the other refreshing manually every second. Never got through on those.

The device that got through didn't even make it to the screen with the Wednesday and Thursday pink buttons at first. It just had a timeout error, so I gave up on that one and focussed on the other 2.

After 10 mins or so I hit F5 on the timed out one and it went straight to pink buttons - selected wednesday and I had the transaction complete within less than a minute.

So in my case, I think less refreshing was better. But who knows!

Edited by Lakey91

8 minutes ago, prestonmike said:

does turning ad block off make any difference?  wouldn't have thought it would, might try switching it off on Sunday just in case it helps

No idea, just something I thought of about 5 minutes before it went live.

I think we need to be more specific about this.

When you hit f5 (in chrome) you get the loading spinner on the tab. If the spinner disappears immediately the you've with got the page or you know it's safe to refresh.

This never happened to me though. I have 200mbit Virgin broadband but each tab was taking about a minute to timeout. On the few occasions I got  holding page it was after 30 seconds of trying to connect. So, if I'd have refreshed after a couple of seconds it would never have worked at all.

So, to refresh immediately or wait? Open multiple tabs and give each one chance to timeout before refreshing? You'd need nearly 60 tabs to get anywhere near the throttle limit.

Anybody have any clue?

2 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

I think we need to be more specific about this.

When you hit f5 (in chrome) you get the loading spinner on the tab. If the spinner disappears immediately the you've with got the page or you know it's safe to refresh.

This never happened to me though. I have 200mbit Virgin broadband but each tab was taking about a minute to timeout. On the few occasions I got  holding page it was after 30 seconds of trying to connect. So, if I'd have refreshed after a couple of seconds it would never have worked at all.

So, to refresh immediately or wait? Open multiple tabs and give each one chance to timeout before refreshing? You'd need nearly 60 tabs to get anywhere near the throttle limit.

Anybody have any clue?

If your browser, or tab, becomes unresponsive it's better to close and reopen it to get a new cookie which will hopefully point you to a more responsive server than to continue waiting for a response that may never come.  How long to wait?  Who knows....but I'd say you're reducing your chances if you wait more than 30 seconds or so.  You could have had 30 more hits on another server in that time.