Pukkelpop 2020

TheNewUnion

8 minutes ago, DDave said:

Hmm. 

Possibly rules out Major Lazer and almost definitely rules out Georgia who were/are very likely to appear at Pukkelpop

FB_IMG_1584437184855.jpg

Surprised that FKA Twigs is ruled out too. This means no Belgian festival for her. I also thought Celeste was a big contender for PKP as she hasn't been announced yet for RW. 

2 hours ago, EV123 said:

Surprised that FKA Twigs is ruled out too. This means no Belgian festival for her. I also thought Celeste was a big contender for PKP as she hasn't been announced yet for RW. 

Although it's likely - it doesn't necessarily rule anyone out completely (aside from anyone also on the Lowlands line up). I'm sure someone did Summer Sonic and one of the European festivals on the same weekend last year.

58 minutes ago, DDave said:

All Hasselt hotels available during PKP weekend.

Radisson Blu Hotel has a lot of rooms available (standard and superior) at a very cheap price (479€ - for 4 nights a standard double room), suites included. Two options: artists were supposed to sleep in the camping or Pukkelpop has cancelled all its reservations for the weekend... :(

Edited by johnybegood

33 minutes ago, johnybegood said:

Radisson Blu Hotel has a lot of rooms available (standard and superior) at a very cheap price (479€ - for 4 nights a standard double room), suites included. Two options: artists were supposed to sleep in the camping or Pukkelpop has cancelled all its reservations for the weekend... :(

Think the rooms have been available at all the hotels, aside from H Hostel all the way through. 

Totally understand their stance at the moment and think it's the right thing to do. Being one of the last to announce has probably worked in their favour as its less of a letdown if it is cancelled if none of the names have been announced. 

If it does go ahead, then being at the back end of summer again could work in its favour, especially if the earlier festivals in Belgium and the Netherlands are cancelled. People will still want to get their festival fix when is all over. 

Will it go ahead? God knows. If it does I'm wagering it'll be a very European line up and wouldnt be surprised if it was scaled down either. Can't see it getting moved to another date though. 

Edited by DDave

1 hour ago, DDave said:

Think the rooms have been available at all the hotels, aside from H Hostel all the way through. 

Totally understand their stance at the moment and think it's the right thing to do. Being one of the last to announce has probably worked in their favour as its less of a letdown if it is cancelled if none of the names have been announced. 

If it does go ahead, then being at the back end of summer again could work in its favour, especially if the earlier festivals in Belgium and the Netherlands are cancelled. People will still want to get their festival fix when is all over. 

Will it go ahead? God knows. If it does I'm wagering it'll be a very European line up and wouldnt be surprised if it was scaled down either. Can't see it getting moved to another date though. 

Dave, I tried to book 15 rooms (maximum allowed by booking.com) during pukkelpop weekend, and all Hasselt hotels have that amount of rooms avaliable. I am sure that Pukkelpop have cancelled all their rooms previously booked

8A011E38-2363-4F0B-A6A9-088C60D15E42.jpeg

2 hours ago, johnybegood said:

Maybe you're right but...

I know nothing about the amount of rooms available but I just checked Radisson official website as I did one month ago and the fares for Blue are exactly the same, while the ones for Park Inn were lower one month ago.

To me it just looks like Booking.com is having a lot less reservations for the same period past years (obviously) and is trying to put some special offers.

And I see no avalaibility for Hostel H.

Edited by gigi21
  • Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, gigi21 said:

Maybe you're right but...

I know nothing about the amount of rooms available but I just checked Radisson official website as I did one month ago and the fares for Blue are exactly the same, while the ones for Park Inn were lower one month ago.

To me it just looks like Booking.com is having a lot less reservations for the same period past years (obviously) and is trying to put some special offers.

And I see no avalaibility for Hostel H.

There were no hotels with 15 rooms avaiable one month ago. Express by HI had no rooms one month ago and now is almost empty.

I am not optimistic about foreign bands playing Pukkelpop this year.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, johnybegood said:

There were no hotels with 15 rooms avaiable one month ago. Express by HI had no rooms one month ago and now is almost empty.

I am not optimistic about foreign bands playing Pukkelpop this year.

At the moment, thinking about some festivals happening this summer is optimistic itself 😕
Regarding Pukkelpop, let's just think that it's supposed to happen in 5 months and so we cannot say anything certain now... But yes, I trust you.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Death By Sexy said:

I have no problem with a scaled down Pukkelpop. Just remove the Main Stage, nobody cares about it anyway. 

Talking about this, Dua Lipa has been announced for Sziget weeks before her tour was postponed, but her official website now only shows her 2021 dates.

Maybe she's just waiting to announce all her (possible) summer dates together?

It pains me no end to say it but, in the highly unlikely event PKP20 does take place, I sadly won't be there. The money I spend on travel, accommodation, ticket and beer/food each year comes to a decent amount and I always source that from extra work I do each summer prior to the festival. That additional work isn't available now due to the current crisis so I can't justify the extra expense this time.

A couple of friends who have been every time since 2007 have already said they've written this year off and won't be going. Aside from the financial aspect, there's a whole load of other reasons why I don't think it (or any other festival) will happen this summer:

The virus is predicted to peak around May/June time in certain parts of Europe (mostly Western) so may well be on a downward trajectory by August. That doesn't mean though that Govts will suddenly sanction mass gatherings of thousands of people from all over the world in relatively small areas so festivals, along with sporting events and loads of other similar things, will have to wait a lot longer to get up and running again. Most predictions are that there will be a second wave of the virus so they will do whatever they can to minimise the impact of that = no large gatherings for at least the next year/18 months.

As has already been seen, and will no doubt become more apparent in the next few weeks, bands are cancelling tours left, right and centre and without them there's no festivals. The US ones will be the first to go (some have cancelled already), closely followed by UK and the rest of the world. As much as PKP loves Belgian bands, they're not going to carry the festival in its current form on their own so a scaled down version of 10-20K local fans might be feasible (provided gatherings of that size are allowed by then which is highly unlikely).

Most people haven't really felt the economic impact of this yet but it will hit huge parts of the population in the next few weeks/months. A large part of the PKP demographic are quite young (late teens to twenties) so don't have a massive disposable income anyway. This will mean many people won't be able to afford to attend a festival this summer as they will need to prioritise their money elsewhere.

Sorry to be so pessimistic but I think we should be currently channelling all our energy towards making sure the 2021 summer festival season takes place...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

• 3 weeks later...