Pukkelpop 2020

TheNewUnion

38 minutes ago, Semprini said:

Think that whatever the issue is Frequency has had with headliners has also affected PKP, which could explain why they've been pretty quiet recently on socials. Based on the last few years I was confident we'd get the first names on Tuesday (just gone) but it's now even doubtful we'll get news this week. They need to close the wish list at least a few days/week before announcing anything so we're probably now looking at second week of March at the earliest.

If a headliner (or two) has pulled out then that explains any delay but doesn't bode well, based on previous form, for us getting a 'big' replacement. I'd much rather though we had a few 'smaller' names grouped together at the top of the bill than someone really expensive as that would allow for a stronger line up lower down, which for me is the most important thing. Still think we'll get someone 'bigger' than Lowlands (as that's usually the case) but hard to see who that might be based on what's already been announced?

Bit worrying the many great names Dour have announced so far as its close proximity to PKP makes it unlikely bands will do both. Looking at Creamfields, Deadmau5 has got to be a serious contender now for Main/Dance Hall finisher. Granted he hasn't released much new music recently but the lack of 'big' dance acts on the circuit means he can command that kind of slot based solely on his back catalogue. Think Pendulum Trinity are a dead cert now and would love to see Eric Prydz and Boris Brejcha feature, seeing as they're in the area. Wouldn't be surprised at all if Calvin Harris co-headlines one night and think it would be great as his new ravey stuff is superb!

Dua Lipa/Calvin Harris co-headliner makes sense. Thought earlier on Deadmau5 could make a return as well. They've definitely had at least one headliner pull out according to festileaks but one that was rarely mentioned apparently. 

There's plenty of medium sized options for the top slots but I think it may be the credible Arcade Fire/Tame Impala type option that might be the hardest to find. There's not many of that types of bands knocking around this time. They could always go back to Kraftwerk or Bjork but it's not really anything fresh for the festival. Kings of Leon would probably be the most obvious of the bigger acts who have been around a bit and have the hits but hopefully they'll be looking at someone better. 

I'm not particularly worried as Foals, Soulwax, Shame and Caribou are near certainties which is a great base to start with but it'd be nice to see something special or just really different topping the bill. 

I think there's a good chance we'll have the second lot of Lowlands names before the first lot of Pukkelpop names. The good thing is about the longer the wait is that is normally results in a bigger lot of first names. 

29 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

The silence is deafening. And a bit worrying... 

Worrying in the way that it becomes more and more clear the Main Stage will be very poor this year...and I guess their problems with getting at least a bit of quality on the Main is what makes them wait so long. But as I wrote in a previous post, there is enough quality around to make for a decent Club, Castello and Lift and even Marquee program. So personally I am not too worried.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Ken19 said:

Same problem as other festivals in their period... 

Yeah, but all the others (R+L, Sziget, Lowlands, Oya, WoW, Flow, Green Man, Frequency, Rock En Seine, Lolla Berlin, Electric Picnic) have at least shared a portion of the lineup.

Is it even going to come trough?

21 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

Yeah, but all the others (R+L, Sziget, Lowlands, Oya, WoW, Flow, Green Man, Frequency, Rock En Seine, Lolla Berlin, Electric Picnic) have at least shared a portion of the lineup.

Is it even going to come trough?

Suggests to me a shared headliner/s is the problem (Frequency, PKP and Lowlands?) hence the delay. Lowlands has the loyal fan base to not need to lead the announcements with a major headliner, unlike Pukkelpop who relies quite heavily on day tickets sales

If they have gone with Slipknot as a last option could the delay be getting all the rock bands like BMTH and Fever333 on the same day. Can remember in 2016 there was a load of BMTH shirts about. Could see them going with a two days with weaker headliners more traditional pukkelpop and then a rock/metal day to sell tickets. I'm also assuming Capaldi can't have the Billie effect outside the UK.

Edited by tomato12345

34 minutes ago, tomato12345 said:

If they have gone with Slipknot as a last option could the delay be getting all the rock bands like BMTH and Fever333 on the same day. Can remember in 2016 there was a load of BMTH shirts about. Could see them going with a two days with weaker headliners more traditional pukkelpop and then a rock/metal day to sell tickets. I'm also assuming Capaldi can't have the Billie effect outside the UK.

He's at RW so he's ruled out anyway. 

Sam Fender has been announced for a few festivals and is playing Utrecht on the Wednesday. He'll be the Capaldi-lite option this year. 

I'm not so much convinced that Slipknot is a likely option. From what I read in Graspop and Download topics on several forums, Slipknot is an expensive headliner within the metal circuit, closely following the trifecta Metallica/Iron Maiden/Rammstein in terms of booking fees.

I just don't see a festival with supposed budget constraints going all in on an act with limited mainstream attraction, mainly appealing to a crowd that lost interest in Pukkelpop years ago. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, DDave said:

We have our first self- confirmation!

Clutch play on the Saturday (says September but i'm guessing it means August)

http://www.pro-rock.com/index.cfm?page=Tour

A good name to start with!

Once the self confirmations are starting to come out, announcements are bound to come quickly!

Edited by Salva

30 minutes ago, johnybegood said:

Maybe this problem is called Eminem?

To this day I am not sure if Eminem ever was supposed to be on the Lineup of Sziget or any other Festival this year. If so, I think it might have not worked out for whatever reason.

On 3/3/2020 at 11:09 PM, Dietediet said:

I'm not so much convinced that Slipknot is a likely option. From what I read in Graspop and Download topics on several forums, Slipknot is an expensive headliner within the metal circuit, closely following the trifecta Metallica/Iron Maiden/Rammstein in terms of booking fees.

I just don't see a festival with supposed budget constraints going all in on an act with limited mainstream attraction, mainly appealing to a crowd that lost interest in Pukkelpop years ago. 

don't underestimate just how much people will buy tickets for that name alone