Pukkelpop 2020

TheNewUnion

We’re in one of the quad rooms, which luckily became available again after I’d booked the wrong weekend at first. Barring a disaster line up, we’ll be there again for 2020.

Question for me is how do they top this years line up? I have absolutely no idea who’ll be there. It’s the 35th year so they might try for someone special? Neil Young still owes us one. Nick Cave maybe due a return? Can’t see them going much bigger than that. Maybe Blur or Gorillaz

There’s a Pukkelpop / Leeds and Reading sized hole in Vampire Weekends tour schedule but that also applies to Rock Werchters too so they’ll almost certainly play one of the two – they’d be my best guess at the Tame Impala/Arcade Fire slot. Or maybe Bon Iver  I’d hanker a guess at Dua Lipa headlining unless again she pops up at RW and Editors will no doubt be at one of the Belgian festivals.

Halsey is playing Antwerp in March so I can see her being there for the kids. Bears Den, Lewis Capaldi, Elbow and Liam Gallagher are all playing big gigs in Belgium early in the year so they could be about later in the summer.

Say this every year but I’d love to see the likes of Pixies, Suede, New Order, Foals and Phoenix in the Marquee and of course a return for Soulwax/2manydjs. There’s a lot of this years RW bill I’d like to see at Pukkelpop next year

One smaller band who may well be there are Black Country, New Road who I know Chokri is a fan of.

Edited by DDave

12 hours ago, Ken19 said:

Also, 34th, 35th, 39th... a festival is doing everything they could to bring the best line up possible together. But in August the market is tough. Too tough.

maybe childish gambino is making it up This time. 

When you say in August the market is tough, do you mean in general or the market for August 2020?

8 minutes ago, DDave said:

Yeah I thought that. I'm guessing it's because festivals with bigger budgets like to get their business done early and it takes a large amount of bands out of the running due to exclusivity deals.

Yes, august in general. 

Most of the bands prefer to do the festival period in june/july. Not because of the money (Readling/Leeds are paying a lot to get bands in their period to Europe). But because it is more practical for them. 

• Upvote 1

I'm going for the following headline combo

Pop starlet (Dua Lipa, Ellie Goulding Type)

Someone on the up who isn't quite ready for headlining (1975/Foals type)

Someone with a face tattoo who is soundcloud famous and I will inevitably hate (Lil' something or other)

Edited by TheNewUnion

2 hours ago, TheNewUnion said:

I'm going for the following headline combo

Pop starlet (Dua Lipa, Ellie Goulding Type)

Someone on the up who isn't quite ready for headlining (1975/Foals type)

Someone with a face tattoo who is soundcloud famous and I will inevitably hate (Lil' something or other)

Take my money! ?

I'll go with any of 

Pop = Dua Lipa / Halsey / Ellie Goulding / Years and Years / Christine & the Queens

Indie = Pixies / Vampire Weekend / Bon Iver /  Two Door Cinema Club / 1975 / Editors / Foals

Legends = Nick Cave / Neil Young / Iggy Pop / Blur

Rock = QOTSA / Kasabian / The Killers 

Rap/Urban = Childish Gambino / Chance the Rapper / Tyler the Creator / Mackelmore / Major fucking Lazer / ASAP Rocky

Dance = Disclosure / Netsky / Flume

Nothing overly ambitious aside from Neil Young and Blur and plenty of repeat acts that we know Pukkelpop love.

Something like a Main Stage line up of

Halsey / Chance the Rapper / Dua Lipa

Kasabian / QOTSA / Disclosure

Vampire Weekend / Nick Cave / Netsky

With a strong Marquee line up of Pixies / Foals / Phoenix / St Vincent / Suede etc

Is realistic (I think) and would do me.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Death By Sexy said:

Somebody on Festileaks claims 50% of the 2020 line-up was already booked during PKP 2019. 

Interesting. I have a feeling a lot of the acts booked may be from this years RW. We could even get The Cure if they come around again, they've a new album out soon (and maybe 2 too)

• 2 weeks later...

Would mean a fairly late announcement for them, unless they were sold out but Nick Cave and Bon Iver are playing Antwerp within a week of each other (23rd & 30th April). Their dates would probably fit better with Pukkelpop's than with Rock Werchters as they normally announce their headliners pretty early.

On a more ominous note, The 1975 and the Script also play within a week of each other in March which is prime announcement time for PKP.  Think the former definitely have a strong chance of being there.

35 minutes ago, johnybegood said:

Bring Me The Horizon announced for Highfield Festival the weekend before Pukkelpop in Germany.

Typical PKP booking, maybe subheadlining Main Stage? Marquee headliners in its rock day?

Had a miniscule crowd subbing for LCD Soundsystem in 2016 on the main so yeah, better suited to the Marquee on Rock day. 

3 minutes ago, Dietediet said:

On the other hand they subbed Rock Werchter main stage this year and played high slots at the majority of their festivals, so I doubt they'll accept a marquee spot.

Hopefully they'll swerve it altogether. 

Deichkind | Beat steaks | Bring Me The Horizon | Contra K | Clueso | Sido | RIN | Wanda | Grief | Giant Rooks | Leonids | Juju | Ferdinand and Left Boy | Nura | Fries shack | Callejon | Fever 333 | Betontod | Turbo state | Zebrahead | Blond

Are the other bands, who (apart from the German headliners who probably won't get booked) I've not heard of apart from Fever 333 who could definitely return.

13 hours ago, DDave said:

Are the other bands, who (apart from the German headliners who probably won't get booked) I've not heard of apart from Fever 333 who could definitely return.

Zebrahead (American punk outfit) played the Shelter a few years ago and so have PKP 'previous'. They were OK, but I'm not sure I'd go out of my way for them if they returned.

The Fever 333 I would definitely welcome back - they were excellent in 2018(?).