Shoulda, coulda, woulda... headliners

MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I thought the issue went a bit deeper than that, or am I mistaken? I thought there was some incident at a festival which tarred the band with a bad brush?

That was years back and the problem was more with themselves getting over what happened. They've headlined a lot of festivals since, including Reading and Leeds, so seem to have gotten over that hurdle. Just don't think the Eavis's see them as a Glastonbury headliner which is a real shame. They're unbelievable live.

Prince is the main one that comes to mind. Still mental to think The Who replaced him and that he could have been headlining the same festival as Kanye West. Shame it never came to pass. 

The others for me are The Stone Roses, booked and then split up. May not have had such an impact back then but it would still have been a show to see, wish they had have played over the last few years rather than just look for the money too. 

I'm a massive Pearl Jam fan and have repeatedly made the case for them, and remain convinced they would indeed 'smash it' if they ever headlined. One of the best live bands on the planet, and they know how to bring it to casual fans at fests without alienating the hardcore (Mad Cool was indeed incredible, and as an aside, had Glastonbury been on last year, it may have been PJ and DM as headliners...). I think anyone who comes back with the 'not relevant' or 'not that big' retort simply doesn't know how big they are, even in the UK. The last two O2 shows in '18 sold out very quickly, and were incredibly tough to get tickets for. I think the only explanation is the Eavii steering fairly wide of hard rock, but it may yet happen.

The Stone Roses. Of Course.

22 minutes ago, Cannedm said:

I remember when Skunk Anansie headlined in the 90s...always thought that was a very strange choice.. If memory serves, they had just released an album which wasn't great as well. It wasn't like they were massive at the time either. Still thought they were reasonable live but not headline material. 

Agreed, but the festival simply wasn't as big in the 90s as it is now. I think when Bowie headlined, it took a step up in terms of ability to draw stadium-sized acts. Blur, Pulp, Radiohead were all arena acts when they headlined in the 90s. Once Oasis graduated to stadia, they didn't return to Glastonbury until well into the 00s.

With SA, I wonder if the industry expectation was that the third album would push them into the big leagues and Glastonbury booking them earlier would be the first to have them as headliner. History of course told a different story.

2 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

That would be something. 

Eminem? I dunno if he’s a Glastonbury booking but he was/is absolutely massive. Price as said before the obvious one. 

The thing with Eminem is I find him quite a repellant character. The fact he's still using homophobic slurs on his recordings should rightly see him not on the Eavii's speed dial.

2 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

Agreed, but the festival simply wasn't as big in the 90s as it is now. I think when Bowie headlined, it took a step up in terms of ability to draw stadium-sized acts. 

The same year SA headlined (‘99), REM did too, and were still a huge act. I was genuinely surprised and extremely happy when they were announced. By then Bowie had played the much smaller Phoenix Festival a couple of times, so it wasn’t quite the coup it may seem in hindsight, although of course Bowie returning to Glastonbury for the first time since ‘71 was an event in itself.

48 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

The thing with Eminem is I find him quite a repellant character. The fact he's still using homophobic slurs on his recordings should rightly see him not on the Eavii's speed dial.

Yeah I don't think the Eavii need the headaches that booking Marshall Mathers would bring.

Plus he's utter bobbins live.

2 hours ago, maelzoid said:

That and the fact he’s one of the most overrated rappers of all time. 

7 minutes ago, nikkic said:

That and the fact he’s one of the most overrated rappers of all time. 

Well, I could never claim to be an expert on this, but I was always amazed at how rudimentary P Diddy's rapping is. Yet he's a billionaire and Gift of Gab (for example) is a cult act. But, I guess it's like most genres, the most commercially successful are rarely the best.

29 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

Well, I could never claim to be an expert on this, but I was always amazed at how rudimentary P Diddy's rapping is. Yet he's a billionaire and Gift of Gab (for example) is a cult act. But, I guess it's like most genres, the most commercially successful are rarely the best.

He isn't quite, according to forbes.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zackomalleygreenburg/2019/06/13/hip-hops-next-billionaires-richest-rappers-2019/

1 hour ago, didinowanttohearthat said:

Stone Roses should have done it when they first came back

Agree with this, it would have been brilliant.  I was always a passive Roses fan (in that I really liked their debut album), but saw them twice in Belfast on each of their comeback tours and they are 2 of the best gigs I've ever seen.  I was so surprised and totally blown away.

On the original comeback tour in 2013, there was a pretty strong headlining trio (Stones, Arctics and Mumfords [who were massive at the time]).

Similarly in 2017 you couldn't really see Radiohead, Sheeran or the Foos being bumped for them.

RHCP obviously pulled out in 1993 but were arguably the biggest band in the world post Californication. They possibly should have been an alternative to Travis or The Stereophonics in the early 00s

6 minutes ago, Username taken said:

RHCP obviously pulled out in 1993 but were arguably the biggest band in the world post Californication. They possibly should have been an alternative to Travis or The Stereophonics in the early 00s

I understand that there is bad blood between the fest and the chilis since '93.

I loved them at the time, and bought my 93 ticket in part because they were headlining. They are dreck now.

1 hour ago, maelzoid said:

Puffy a businessman then producer then I dunno a handsome fella and eventually a rapper.

4 hours ago, maelzoid said:

On shaky ground when you start criticising language used by MC’s in the past. Eminem has said some bad stuff (in character) but no worse than Tyler the Creator (who granted was also in character). Snoop Dogg, Jay Z and Kanye West also said some bad stuff in the past. 

I’m not a big or even moderate Eminem fan but he absolutely had the cross over with non hip hop crowds few else have had before or since. For the record I don’t think he’s a repulsive character. What makes you say he is? 

59 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

1. The idea that others have said worse in no way excuses what Eminem has said.  I'd level the same criticism at any of them. I hardly think that puts ME on shaky ground tbh. And whether it's in the past or not? I didn't like it when it came out.

2. I guess what I don't like is not only has he made a career on homophobia and misogyny (not exclusively), but his weaselly way of justifying it - it's only a joke, I'm in character, where I come from 'faggot' doesn't mean gay, it means lame or loser! Not a guy I'd have a beer with.

Sure, but on the basis of any "bad" words means exclusion, then Kendrick Lamar (and a lot of other rappers) would never headline. He says the n-word a lot, but kind of fits into the "where I'm from, it means something different". For the record, I dislike it when rappers use the n-word in their records (as well as homophobia) and the general casual use of it anyway, but I'm not a fan of language policing either. No one seemed to care when Run the Jewels were on stage pejoratively using the word "white" in their lyrics.

• Upvote 1