Shoulda, coulda, woulda... headliners

MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

I was having a discussion with my other half and we were talking about artists who have been relatively big and could have had their chance to shine as Pyramid headliners, which I googled and found this article about Dizzee Rascal... who about ten years ago was absolutely massive. Given other bands have been given the nod like Mumford and Sons, Kasabian etc, I wondered if there was anyone else who was pretty big, riding a wave, could have had a chance to boost/expand their fame, but never made the grade? And where else to ask but the knowledge on here. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/concerts/dizzee-rascal-should-headlining-glastonbury/

Incidentally, I saw Dizzee in 2017 on WH and it was absolutely mental, loved every minute of it.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Primal Scream, sometime between 1997 - 2000. Fucking ferocious live band back then. 

I thought they had headlined actually in the 90s but you're right, they would have smashed it. 

Also, New Order should have done it in the late 80s, or 90s.

Weird one, but I think Flo should have been booked to headline in the first place back in 2015. They nailed the headline set regardless, but should have been booked instead of The Who from the get go. 

My main one would be GnR. I was really skeptical of the comeback but they actually seemed to smash it. Would have LOVED to see them tear up the Pyramid.

1 minute ago, jparx said:

Weird one, but I think Flo should have been booked to headline in the first place back in 2015. They nailed the headline set regardless, but should have been booked instead of The Who from the get go. 

Pretty sure we were all expecting her to headline that year and her being rumoured but not as a headliner caused a lot of confusion.

As for Biffy, they peaked commercially ten years ago now so the Pyramid sub slot they got in '17 is as high as they're ever gonna go. There was a small window where they might've been able to top the bill, but there were seemingly always better options for Glastonbury.

7 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Great shout, but in place of who? The bands headlining in 2007 were massive and hugely relevant for the time

Were The Who relevant at the time? A great booking for sure but maybe they could have played the year after. 

2007 was the only chance to book DP