Emily in Cheltenham

ian the worm

8 minutes ago, FakeEmpire said:

There as an absolute dickhead in the crowd who interrupted her when she was explaining that a ballot might mean that people who aren't that bothered end up with tickets whereas at the moment the majority of people who are "really, really trying, do get tickets".  She pointed to the stats showing the huge drop in demand after 15-20 mins where people give up and a guy shouted out "DISAGREE" (excellent mansplaining, disagreeing with someone reporting on the actual stats).   He explained that he'd been trying to go for 10 years and she politely pointed out that she was surprised to hear that because demand hasn't always been as high as this.

What she says is perfectly logical, he should have understood that even though there was a huge drop, it may have gone from something like 1/20 to 1/3 chance, so doesn’t mean he or anyone else would definitely get a ticket even with a huge drop. 

24 minutes ago, FakeEmpire said:

she was explaining that a ballot might mean that people who aren't that bothered end up with tickets whereas at the moment the majority of people who are "really, really trying, do get tickets".

it's good to hear she said that - it means the festival wants the system working in the same way as people here have thought they do.

Whether someone thinks that's fair or not is merely a matter of opinion. 

She did say something along the lines of the reason they are doing the 50 tickets ballot is because they "knew they had to do some kind of ballot" and so I wonder if future plans will involve some tickets in a ballot but the majority under the normal system.

She did also say they discuss it regularly and review it every year but my impression was she was happy with the current system.    

When the one guy was kicking off about not being able to go for 10 years, someone did shout "volunteer then!"

Even being on the sad end of not getting tickets this year I still say the current system is better than a ballot. Interesting that she said after 15-20 minutes there is less demand it goes to show that my thing about making See Tickets less efficient rather than more efficient is the answer. I wish they wouldn't bother scaling and let it take 4-5 hours of pressing F5 for it to sell out. 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

yep, it seems to be that.

He had shows booked in and announced until just-before-Glasto for ages, and then suddenly in the spring a few extras were announced.

Wonder if he really hacked them off by pulling out and that's where the "definitely not Macca" came from?

2 minutes ago, jparx said:

Wonder if he really hacked them off by pulling out and that's where the "definitely not Macca" came from?

I presume it was a pain in the arse, but one of those 'these things happen' moments.

I definitely think Nick saying 'not macca' was a result of him cancelling, but I'm not thinking it's grudge driven, I'm thinking it's because of what happened Nick is in the loop* for macca's 2020 plans.

(* as they were at that time, anyway)

5 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

"She said the stats show a huge drop off 15-20 mins into sale from where some people give up."

I've been saying this for years....there is definitely a 'sweet spot' to be exploited by the persistent.....

Only in 2015 did I get in instantly. Other times it’s been a good 20 minutes into the sale. I always thought it was because those that get tickets obviously click off the site.

Edited by Matt42

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I presume it was a pain in the arse, but one of those 'these things happen' moments.

I definitely think Nick saying 'not macca' was a result of him cancelling, but I'm not thinking it's grudge driven, I'm thinking it's because of what happened Nick is in the loop* for macca's 2020 plans.

I do wonder if Macca's comments on the radio about it being a "remote possibility" come down to him originally not planning on doing shows next year, lining up with Nick's comment, but he's now looking at doing some shows. Just wild speculation of course. 

5 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

"She said the stats show a huge drop off 15-20 mins into sale from where some people give up."

I've been saying this for years....there is definitely a 'sweet spot' to be exploited by the persistent.....

I did see people on twitter complaining after 15 minutes that they couldn't get through. I can't have sympathy with people failing to get tickets when they've already given after 15 minutes and on twitter moaning about it.

2 minutes ago, jparx said:

I do wonder if Macca's comments on the radio about it being a "remote possibility" come down to him originally not planning on doing shows next year, lining up with Nick's comment, but he's now looking at doing some shows. Just wild speculation of course

I think it had more to do with him having to give a nice answer to a question.

Having said that, you might be right.

18 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Heh yes indeed - got my crew's tickets on Sunday at precisely 09:21 ?

Interesting.... having read through the headliners thread with people repeatedly saying that they think Macca will be one of the headliners, I now don't feel as confident.

The first comments came from Michael Eavis (with the whole "don't make a big thing about it, will you") when asked about Macca playing Glasto.

I now get the impression that Eavis said this shortly after Macca had pulled out of 2019 and naturally wanted to try and get him to perform at 2020 instead. So nothing concrete there at all. Just pure hope.

Obviously when he is interviewed he claims that it's a "possibility" but seeing as he is currently not touring it's a lot of work and admin to get into place.

I don't think he is booked as a headliner at this stage.

I'd rather he headlined over someone like the 1975 (in my personal opinion).... 200,000 people in one field singing "Hey Jude" sounds fucking awesome to me.

38 minutes ago, SiJo86 said:

I'd rather he headlined over someone like the 1975 (in my personal opinion).... 200,000 people in one field singing "Hey Jude" sounds fucking awesome to me.

It was fucking awesome in 2004, and I'd be down the front again if Macca comes back (& I get a ticket ?).

22 minutes ago, Matt87 said:

Didn't Macca say that his kids were telling him to play the 50th? 

ou know, I don’t know, I mean people are saying that it would be good if I did it, so I’m starting to think about whether I can or whether it would be a good thing. My kids are saying “Dad we’ve got to talk about Glastonbury” and I think I know what they mean. So they go every year, like a lot of people these days, and it is a great festival and we played there quite a long time ago so, maybe it is time to go back, I don’t know, I’d have to put a few things in place and try and do that but it’s starting to become some sort of remote possibility. (ZB: fingers crossed) I mean it’s definitely not fixed yet but people are starting to talk about it.

I don't think there was anything to it apart from answering a question nicely.

1 hour ago, Avalon_Fields said:

It’s good news, and further reason not to have a ballot as the primary route to tickets, the present system means anyone has the chance to buy tickets but rewards the most keen by this ‘sweet spot’. 

we got ours around the 18 minute mark. 

I got in at around 20 past and IIRC correctly that seems to be the optimum time to get in for me in recent years. 

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

At the talk in on the acoustic stage with Michael this year he did make a point of saying it doesn't sit well with them when people pull out and drop them in it. Could mean more than 1 act in particular was in his head when he said that but still it shows he has that mindset when they come around again. 

Also found this thread very interesting, especially the parts about headliner bookings.  I'm hoping to book goes into more detail of who they had booked and pulled out, acts they had to call upon at the last minute and the ones that got away. 

58 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

At the talk in on the acoustic stage with Michael this year he did make a point of saying it doesn't sit well with them when people pull out and drop them in it. Could mean more than 1 act in particular was in his head when he said that but still it shows he has that mindset when they come around again. 

Yeah that's totally understandable of course, but I imagine that when it comes to booking one of the biggest stars on the planet for the 50th anniversary, their memory of recent inconveniences becomes a little fuzzy, if there's a chance they could come and make up for it with an incredible performance on the biggest night of the festival's history