F5 on multiple devices

Mr Benn

4 minutes ago, Mr Benn said:

Any tips on how to refresh if you’re using several browsers on several devices at once?.  Or best just stick to one? X 

Unless you have the motor skills and reaction times of a fighter pilot you'll struggle to F5 between different devices any more frequently than you can with 1 device, 1 browser and 1 finger....bearing in mind also that if you F5 more than 1/second you'll get blocked by a 'busy' page as you'll be seen as an auto-refresh tool.

That said you could compromise by having secondary devices auto-refreshing while you focus on a manual approach on another device.  Just make sure that the auto-refresh rate is slow enough that it doesn't take you over 1/second and you can be sure of stopping it if you get a registration page before it fires again.

1 hour ago, Lycra said:

The 60/min refresh is for your IP address, not per device or tab. Setting up 3 devices autofreshing 60x per minute on your Wi-Fi or hardwired device will be seen as 180/min from your IP address.

It's an unproven theory but best to be safe by setting them up so they are all on separate connections eg the manual one on wifi, and a couple of others on separate 4G hotspots.

Quick question. If I have two laptops running the ticket site, one on WiFi and one with a VPN, would i still run the risk of going over the 60/min limit if I refresh each one at my usual rate or would the VPN mean the WiFi laptop is the only one running on my IP (contributing to the limit). 

this might be a stupid question ?

1 hour ago, AlParkin03 said:

Quick question. If I have two laptops running the ticket site, one on WiFi and one with a VPN, would i still run the risk of going over the 60/min limit if I refresh each one at my usual rate or would the VPN mean the WiFi laptop is the only one running on my IP (contributing to the limit). 

this might be a stupid question ?

Not a daft question at all but you've answered it yourself....the VPN device will be seen by Seetickets as a separate IP source to your wifi.

11 hours ago, Mr Benn said:

Thanks all.

so having say an iPad, iPhone, another iPad and 2 laptops all running from the same WiFi is a no no? 

Would it Be seen an multiple devices form 1 IP address? 

Yes. The general consensus is that the See server blocks hook ups to IP addresses which hit it more than 60x per minute. So if you run multiple devices through the same IP address, ie your router, then every f5 on each of your devices counts as one of the 60 limit the router has.

See have this limit to stop people bombarding it's server with hits from auto-connect software to their advantage of getting tickets.  It also eases the load on See's IT systems.

Note: this is the perceived belief. SEE and GF acknowledge the ticket sales system has protection against auto-connect software but I personally have seen no official confirmation of it's workings. 

1 hour ago, Lycra said:

Note: this is the perceived belief. SEE and GF acknowledge the ticket sales system has protection against auto-connect software but I personally have seen no official confirmation of it's workings. 

If I recall correctly from previous years, I believe @parsonjack did some testing of what could be done before the limit triggered?

3 hours ago, clarkete said:

If I recall correctly from previous years, I believe @parsonjack did some testing of what could be done before the limit triggered?

Yep....i did some testing at the weekend which pretty much proved that hits from several devices on same wifi are see as coming from same IP and therefore *could* count cumulatively towards the 60/min limit.

I say *could* because I'm reasonably certain that there is another factor in play which reduces this likelihood.  Each 'hit' is directed to a back end application server (of which there are several...) but the direction to whichever server is determined by a cookie that gets given to the source machine when it makes a request.  The hits from an IP address are counted cumulatively on the server itself, so it's only if 2 devices on same wifi are directed to the same server that the hits will count together to the blocking limit.  The cookie allocation is effectively random so the likelihood of this happening is somewhat minimal if you only have say 2 devices on same wifi and IP address.....the more devices you have though the more the risk.

The advice would therefore be to have all devices on different IP's (share across wifi, 4G, VPN etc) where you can.

• Upvote 2