Verified by VISA?

midlifecrisis

I checked with Lloyds yesterday. They reckoned with them it is random, you may not necessarily be sent a 6 digit code, but obviously could do. It’ll certainly pay to be organised and expect this possibility as I’m sure some will lose out if they don’t have their phone nearby, or haven’t registered their phone with their bank.

I was under the assumption Visa debits were the only ones being checked, and credit cards were fine.

I live in Germany, was going to use my Barclays debit card because it's connected to my parent's address, but now is it better to use a credit card? On a side note, is international postage an extra cost? I'd prefer it sent to Ger. but I can't remember if they send it earlier or if it costs lots extra.

1 hour ago, Jay89 said:

Is there any way to find out my VBV details? I remember setting it up years ago, but no idea about emails and passwords. Although ticketmaster and Skiddle are always coming up with verified by visa screen when I book, but it goes through without having to put password in.

Try booking a cheap ticket through Seetickets and go through the forgotten password process etc....this one is just £3.30.

https://www.seetickets.com/event/the-family-dog-happninboy/hot-box/1437047?aff=efestivals

3 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Try booking a cheap ticket through Seetickets and go through the forgotten password process etc....this one is just £3.30.

https://www.seetickets.com/event/the-family-dog-happninboy/hot-box/1437047?aff=efestivals

Done, the only thing that popped up was something along the lines ‘your bank informed us you are enrolled’, don’t know what it was exactly, cause the page refreshed and the payment went through. I take it I should be alright the sale comes. Thanks @parsonjack

Just got off the phone with Barclays and they said that for a deposit of 50 pounds (even if it's plus a coach ticket), it wouldn't normally be picked up by Verified by Visa as suspicious. She couldn't confirm it definitely, but if it was picked up by VbV then I would be able to confirm it's authentic with my PIN card-reader device, by inserting my card and following the instructions etc. 

She couldn't say 100%, but she was fairly certain it wouldn't be a problem either way. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Just got off the phone with Barclays and they said that for a deposit of 50 pounds (even if it's plus a coach ticket), it wouldn't normally be picked up by Verified by Visa as suspicious. She couldn't confirm it definitely, but if it was picked up by VbV then I would be able to confirm it's authentic with my PIN card-reader device, by inserting my card and following the instructions etc. 

She couldn't say 100%, but she was fairly certain it wouldn't be a problem either way. 

That’s even more reassuring, cause I’m with Barclays too.

I haven't read all the thread so this may have been mentioned but I have a Visa Debit with Natwest, some purchases I've made recently I've just had to click a Visa security confirm button for the transaction to go through. I haven't had to put a code in on anything for a long time.

5 minutes ago, Jay89 said:

Done, the only thing that popped up was something along the lines ‘your bank informed us you are enrolled’, don’t know what it was exactly, cause the page refreshed and the payment went through. I take it I should be alright the sale comes. Thanks @parsonjack

Cool.....HotBox in Chelmsford must be stoked they are getting such a crowd for Friday night ?

8 minutes ago, mufcok said:

I haven't read all the thread so this may have been mentioned but I have a Visa Debit with Natwest, some purchases I've made recently I've just had to click a Visa security confirm button for the transaction to go through. I haven't had to put a code in on anything for a long time.

Yeah that's happened to me the past couple of days. I just press confirm. Pretty sure my Barclay card is the same, bought gig tickets Friday with my Mastercard and I didn't get a text either. 

Edited by AmazingAbby

I've just called my bank (Santander) and they said I should get a text immediately, and I'd need to just reply 'Y' for the transaction to be processed. I did stress that the tickets move really quickly and she maintained that it should be instant. It sounds likely that the process will be enforced if you're buying multiple coach ticket packages on Thursday (and probably also on Sunday) because they'll add up to high amounts.

There was no way for me to disable this part of their checks for Thursday and Sunday. The above might save someone a phone call ?

Edited by discgoesmic

2 minutes ago, discgoesmic said:

I've just called my bank (Santander) and they said I should get a text immediately, and I'd need to just reply 'Y' for the transaction to be processed. I did stress that the tickets move really quickly. and she maintained that it should be instant. It sounds likely that the process will be enforced if you're buying multiple coach ticket packages on Thursday (and probably also on Sunday) because they'll add up to high amounts.

There was no way for me to disable this part of their checks for Thursday and Sunday. The above might save someone a phone call ?

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, discgoesmic said:

I've just called my bank (Santander) and they said I should get a text immediately, and I'd need to just reply 'Y' for the transaction to be processed. I did stress that the tickets move really quickly and she maintained that it should be instant. It sounds likely that the process will be enforced if you're buying multiple coach ticket packages on Thursday (and probably also on Sunday) because they'll add up to high amounts.

To be fair to them, I get pretty much immediate texts from Barclays whenever I change my address or add a new payee or whatever on my app, so maybe it really will be instant. Just need to have your phone on you and it's not such a big deal. Unlike having to remember a password you don't know, which is a nightmare!

1 hour ago, discgoesmic said:

I could be screwed then. i have never owned a mobile phone so can't receive a text. It is my own pig headed fault as the longer i have not had one the longer i have rebutted the idea and although i knew about the new directive forgot it may affect my ticket buying chances.

As i said, it is my own fault and no one else to blame if it all goes wrong on Thursday, but what about the people who cant get a mobile signal at that critical time?

1 hour ago, tjamest said:

I could be screwed then. i have never owned a mobile phone so can't receive a text. It is my own pig headed fault as the longer i have not had one the longer i have rebutted the idea and although i knew about the new directive forgot it may affect my ticket buying chances.

As i said, it is my own fault and no one else to blame if it all goes wrong on Thursday, but what about the people who cant get a mobile signal at that critical time?

I would 100% call them and say you need another verification method - they might have an option for a home phone or something (not text but an automated call), but this would probably take longer. Going forward, Verified by Visa is going to be used more widely and will become the norm when shopping online, so I'd look into it ASAP ?

Yeah, looks like moving forward i may have to enter the modern age of communication that you all inhabit.

A pity as the longer i have been without having a phone the more i have resisted it and i have always enjoyed lobbing the fact into a conversation and seeing  the varying  degrees of disbelief from people when they realise that i'm not kidding.