Tickets , Tips and Tricks

Crazyfool01

5 hours ago, OrganicShamanic said:

...everything possibly...

I'd like to personally and publicly thank you @OrganicShamanic. Your stuff about the cookies. That was new to me and I think it may well have helped. I wasn't getting anywhere and so closed everything and started again.

Also @crazyfool1for starting this thread. You deserve a ticket Sir and I am so sorry you didn't succeed. I met a person once who claimed they got paid to be at the festival to just walk about because of their particular outfit. You and your hats deserve that honour. Maybe look into it?

8 hours ago, MrZigster said:

I'd like to personally and publicly thank you @OrganicShamanic. Your stuff about the cookies. That was new to me and I think it may well have helped. I wasn't getting anywhere and so closed everything and started again.

Also @crazyfool1for starting this thread. You deserve a ticket Sir and I am so sorry you didn't succeed. I met a person once who claimed they got paid to be at the festival to just walk about because of their particular outfit. You and your hats deserve that honour. Maybe look into it?

Spot on, we need a concentrated effort by us to get @crazyfool1 on to the farm! 

• Like 1

I have to say I think it's really crap that the site is able to boot you out between pages of the sale. I got through to enter details twice, and both times when I pressed Proceed, instantly the site 'lost connection'. I pressed back numerous times and was able to press Proceed again but both times eventually reached an 'event not found' Glastonbury-branded page, which I guess was my spot in the queue timing out. This just seems really unfair and a bad system :( is there a better way - have all details on one page for example? Or is this logistically not possible? Just looking for something to blame at this point in time I guess..... another long winter of uncertainty ahead, the same as last year... :(  I'm undecided at the moment whether to wait for the resale, or just book a holiday over the top of it and try to pretend it's another fallow year!

It's basically like standing at bar with a couple of hundred thousand folk and having 500 bartenders, instead of picking who has been there longest they pick someone at random who happens to be waving their cash at the exact time they turn round.

The down servers act like bouncers, keeping folk out the bar - shutting down and clearing cache is like putting on mates jacket so they don't recognise you and you hope you will get in

(At least in my head that's what it is like)

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, clarkete said:

Those people who feverishly crop up at 10 to 15 minutes past on this thread pasting reg and postcodes - do any of them get hooked up?

My perception is always that those able to try already have other batches to go for when free

I’ve tried getting tickets for a random poster before and managed to enter their details only to find their registrations had already been used. Nobody ever seems to edit their plea for help to say they’ve been successful, which is a shame as I could have been helping someone else. 

2 hours ago, JoeyT said:

Ballot? No thanks.

Currently anticipating the result of my entry to the London Marathon ballot which if the last 5 years are anything to go by will be a big fat rejection email...

Have hope! I got into this years London Marathon through the ballot....and the marathon was on the day of the Glasto ticket resale 28 April...and I got through and got my ticket using my tablet whilst on my way to the LM start line!

I'm trying to make some sort of connection there...?

2 hours ago, EMorgz92 said:

I have to say I think it's really crap that the site is able to boot you out between pages of the sale.

I agree - that's the bit that doesn't seem right.  F5ing for 30 minutes is where the queuing/fighting should happen.  Once you've got through to a booking page, then you should be given an appropriate number of glitch-free minutes (4?) to get it done - i.e. that bit of the system architecture should have enough resources to reliably handle the number of simultaneous bookings they're allowing.

A tweak like this wouldn't improve anyone's chances of getting tickets, but it would eliminate that particularly cruel slap in the face.  (To improve people's chances of getting tickets, we just need a few 2007 mud years.)

Edited by Mark E. Spliff

Yep, once you've got to the payment part you should be firmly 'IN' and there should be no ambiguity of whether the sale can go through or not. That's how most ticketing sites work - hard work to get onto the form, but the form itself should operate without error.

I was getting stuff about the 'class of tickets not being available' 10 mins before the sell-out! Had to fanny around for ages which took my sale right up to the wire. 

I suppose if there is a consolation to all this, it's that people who do end up getting tickets are there because they really want to be there (that's the theory anyway) 

Edited by UEF

23 minutes ago, musky said:

I’ve tried getting tickets for a random poster before and managed to enter their details only to find their registrations had already been used. Nobody ever seems to edit their plea for help to say they’ve been successful, which is a shame as I could have been helping someone else. 

That's a pisser but really doesn't surprise me

I must admit once I was through to the registration details page I had no issue whatsoever with any of the pages which followed.

I came on here expecting to post something along the lines of "glad they've sorted previous issues out" but clearly I was lucky with how it progressed.

Couldn't agree more that once "in" you should have no issues completing the purchase.

31 minutes ago, TheGoodWillOut said:

That's a pisser but really doesn't surprise me

Likewise. To be fair anyone asking for help is probably going to wait until they’ve received a confirmation email, which could well be after the sale has ended. 

40 minutes ago, UEF said:

Yep, once you've got to the payment part you should be firmly 'IN' and there should be no ambiguity of whether the sale can go through or not. That's how most ticketing sites work - hard work to get onto the form, but the form itself should operate without error.

Agreed! Not tech-savvy but I find it hard to understand why this isn't the case anyway? 

I know there are tens of thousands of people all on the registration or payment page at any one time in those 30 minutes but even at that, that's a fraction of the number of people stuck on the holding page, so surely once you do get past the holding page, it should be plain sailing as the traffic on those pages is massively reduced

2 hours ago, musky said:

Thanks for the reply, that does sound helpful of you but I guess a similar outcome to what one may anticipate - it seems like throwing a wish out to sea in a bottle and hoping for the best :) 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Sack truck said:

It's basically like standing at bar with a couple of hundred thousand folk and having 500 bartenders, instead of picking who has been there longest they pick someone at random who happens to be waving their cash at the exact time they turn round.

The down servers act like bouncers, keeping folk out the bar - shutting down and clearing cache is like putting on mates jacket so they don't recognise you and you hope you will get in

(At least in my head that's what it is like)

I think they refused to let me in because I look underage 

• Upvote 1

Looking back at yesterdays carnage, I found it odd how many were on this thread during the sale posting how hard it was to get online.There's one chap with about 4 posts in ten minutes. Surely you've got to give yourself every chance when the sale is on. Every second not spent refreshing one of your tabs, or clearing your cache/cookies etc, is a second wasted. 

1 hour ago, pentura said:

Agreed! Not tech-savvy but I find it hard to understand why this isn't the case anyway? 

I know there are tens of thousands of people all on the registration or payment page at any one time in those 30 minutes but even at that, that's a fraction of the number of people stuck on the holding page, so surely once you do get past the holding page, it should be plain sailing as the traffic on those pages is massively reduced

I think much of the issue lies with the load-balancing being swamped with requests and not able to handle it all.  All page requests, whether new ones that generate the holding page (as they will need to call a web server to load the page), or ones for transactions in progress will have to come through the load-balancers so that's likely the bottleneck.  The load-balancers are essentially just the gatekeepers, the man with the velvet rope...they simply determine if there is a space inside and either allow you in or tell you 'not tonight sir'....if they cant keep up with the volume of punters then things start to go wrong.  Once you have a session in progress it's a bit like going out for a fag and then trying to get back in the club again...you are entitled to get back in (you're waving that cookie...)but you need to get the door guy to see you and lift the rope while he's trying to keep the rest of the crowd at bay.

Anymore requests for rubbish analogies just let me know....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, MrZigster said:

one to look into ..for sure... cheers