Tickets , Tips and Tricks

Crazyfool01

1 hour ago, Penrhos said:

Little worried - checked through the internet firewall logs and there's at least 30 people at work that have visited Glastonbury related pages in the last week or so. As the internet pipe is a single external-IP if anywhere near that many are attempting to use the internet at work to get tickets then the 1 second refresh limit from 1 source IP will be easily exceeded (as all traffic is routed through a Cisco Ironport appliance).

Think I'll go home early tomorrow just in case it DDOS blocks all the people at work and VPN back into work on my old laptop so I have two routes into seetickets instead. Although if that was the case anyone at UNI or any other major company would have the same problem.

Just finished running "windows Update" on both PC's so system performance should be optimal.

If you have that kind of access couldn't you prioritise your own machine and block the others? 

Edit: finished thread and seen it's been asked and answered.  D'oh! 

Edited by HotChipWillBreakYourLegs

1 hour ago, Gilb said:

Already thought of that

'As long as the holding page is there keep refreshing randomly every 1.5 to 3 seconds
    While bot.URL = "https://glastonbury.seetickets.com/content/extras"
        bot.Refresh
        Randomize
        randN = Int((3000 - 1500 + 1) * Rnd + 1500)
        bot.Wait randN
    Wend

By hardcoding the refresh in this are you not risking repeadedly kicking off a refresh before the page has completed loading (it can take a while when it gets busy) with no easy means to adjust it?

5 minutes ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

By hardcoding the refresh in this are you not risking repeadedly kicking off a refresh before the page has completed loading (it can take a while when it gets busy) with no easy means to adjust it?

Thought of that also.
As soon as it moves on from the holding page it exits the refresh loop, followed by another loop that continues until it verifies that the registration entry fields are loaded on the page.

If InStr(1, bot.URL, "addregistrations") > 0 Then       
        Do While bot.FindElementByName("registrations[0].RegistrationId").IsPresent = False
        'Loop to check that the registration fields are present
        Loop
.....then continues to populate each reg field with registration details taken from the spreadsheet.

I'm drinking from the bottle of Geek tonight!

10 minutes ago, Gilb said:

Thought of that also.
As soon as it moves on from the holding page it exits the refresh loop, followed by another loop that continues until it verifies that the registration entry fields are loaded on the page.

If InStr(1, bot.URL, "addregistrations") > 0 Then       
        Do While bot.FindElementByName("registrations[0].RegistrationId").IsPresent = False
        'Loop to check that the registration fields are present
        Loop
.....then continues to populate each reg field with registration details taken from the spreadsheet.

I'm drinking from the bottle of Geek tonight!

I probably wasn't making myself clear.

If the ticket buying page takes longer than 3 second to load (not uncommon) you will have kicked off another refresh of the holding page. Result being you will get the hoding page again rather than the prized ticket page? Quite possible I am wrong here but thought I should mention it.

Edited by HalfAnIdiot
typo

1 minute ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

If the ticket buying page takes longer than 3 second to load (not uncommon) you will have kicked off another refresh of the holding page. Result being you will get the hoding page again rather than the prized ticket page? Quite possible I am wrong here but thought I should mention it.

No it'll be fine since the browser URL will change as soon as it moves from the holding page over to the registration page. As soon as it does this the refresh loop stops and moves on to the next loop that waits for the reg. page to fully load.
I'll be putting to the test tomorrow on the coach sale anyway so will report the outcome.

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Anyone wanting help with the coach sale tonight drop me a message!

This is the exact spirit of Glastonbury and its alive and kicking in the eFestivals community. 

Not trying for the bus tickets but will be going all out on Sunday. Good luck to you Sir!

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, aforest said:

The shortcodes aren't working for me on Chrome, is there something I'm missing?

They don't work if you're trying them on either the top bar of the browser or on a google search (I think it must be chimes autocomplete that's stopping it)- is that the issue? If you go to a normal page with an entry bar and try it, it should be fine. Try going to this one and typing your short cut in the tracking code entry bar:

https://www.royalmail.com/track-your-item#/

6pm falls at the time I'm usually walking to my house from the tram stop. The journey includes a walk through a ginnel which, in the last week, has seen a number of human turds appear, fresh ones each morning. Gonna have to remember to look up from my phone at that bit, I'm not wading through human excrement like the end of the Shawshank Redemption to get somebody else's tickets... I'd consider doing it for my own though.

• Upvote 2

Catching up on this thread and my eyes stopped making sense of any kind of VPN, IP, URL computer chat after about two minutes. Had a dream last night that I stayed late at work to get tickets and people kept coming over to my desk asking me to do stuff at 5:59. This is the first ticket dream I've had and I really don't want anymore. 

8 minutes ago, Stone_Love said:

In all seriousness, when you are presented with the white screen of doom what should you do? 

Keep refreshing or move onto another already open web page?

Clear your cookies and try again. This is why I've been recommending you have just ONE incognito/private window open for your refreshing. Any issues had, close it and open another as a quick way of clearing any cookies being used.

Theory being one possible cause of this is your cookies sending you to a back-end server that's overloaded/dead. Forcing a new cookie to be issued will hopefully mean you are sent to a different one.

1 minute ago, Diva Sam said:

Tried using Tor last year.

Not even a sniff. Figured it was blocked cos of the cookies or something. 

As far as I understand it, your information would also be going through multiple 'nodes' (servers that are setup for privacy) - sometimes it can be 20/30 to load a single page. So, not only would you sacrifice speed which is critical, but your payment information could potentially be sent unencrypted as it's impossible to know the security standards of the nodes (regular people set them up and they control your traffic). The actual transaction would be encrypted, but it's possible the node owners could grab the information as plain text from the booking page.

Best of luck today folks! Hopefully the tips and tricks in this thread, perseverance and blessings from the ticket gods will see all us eFesters through. 

Ticket anxiety has been through the roof for weeks now, with day 1 finally upon us, and seeing the page monitors go-off, it's safe to say I am bricking it and riddled with fear

Now, off to find my Pepto Bismol...

2 minutes ago, discgoesmic said:

As far as I understand it, your information would also be going through multiple 'nodes' (servers that are setup for privacy) - sometimes it can be 20/30 to load a single page. So, not only would you sacrifice speed which is critical, but your payment information could potentially be sent unencrypted as it's impossible to know the security standards of the nodes (regular people set them up and they control your traffic). The actual transaction would be encrypted, but it's possible the node owners could grab the information as plain text from the booking page.

SOO DONT USE TOR...  I got it

cool beans

best whack out the ipad and extra laptop then