Tickets , Tips and Tricks

Crazyfool01

2 hours ago, doogie said:

If you reach the Enter Registrations page then hit F5, you stay on the Enter Registrations page (unless you let it time out, but why would you do that?!)

Not always. One if our group got thrown out when he did that after panicking because page did not move on the next quickly enough. 

1 hour ago, Stu H said:

I think I post every year about some of the *potential* tech issues/obstacles - this is based on who I've worked for in the internet industry (and I work in Security, not web design).

SeeTickets will use a number of tech solutions to prevent 'attacks'. Basically mechanisms designed to prevent the site crashing (though they've failed many a time on that!). They need to find ways to allow proper buyers who are F5'ing like mad, but not letting bots or automated apps overload their servers.

If everybody used Refreshinator, there's barely a site on the planet that could cope with a million people doing that level of refreshing. Even if it's built with the best resilience. So my advice would be, don't use it. I can't confirm that they WON'T block your IP address (if they use a DDoS protection product or Web Application Firewall (very likely), which will be a third party app, it might judge it to be attack traffic and block). You do need to be mindful of that. It's not about how many times you can refresh in a given minute etc. I think it's already been mentioned on here that around 60 refreshes a minute has the potential to prevent you progressing).

VPNs won't get you any more joy than normal, other than if you have a number of you in your household trying, it's not the worst idea to split the traffic up across IP address ranges by using VPN

The 60 refreshes a minute thing.... Maybe you have a worry you can help me with.

During the resale I was refreshing as normal (definitely not more than once a second, I was waiting for the page to load and it wasn't a particilarly fast connection) and only ever getting the holding page. So far, so normal. But when the tickets had sold out, I was still refreshing and getting the holding off for a good few minutes. It was only after enough other people had told me it was all over and I checked online and then went out and back into the page that it said sold out. So what happened? Was I stuck in a loop i'd never have got out of?

I posted this after the resale in April and earlier today, but didn't get any answers and it's been making me fret!

1 hour ago, Sasperella said:

The 60 refreshes a minute thing.... Maybe you have a worry you can help me with.

During the resale I was refreshing as normal (definitely not more than once a second, I was waiting for the page to load and it wasn't a particilarly fast connection) and only ever getting the holding page. So far, so normal. But when the tickets had sold out, I was still refreshing and getting the holding off for a good few minutes. It was only after enough other people had told me it was all over and I checked online and then went out and back into the page that it said sold out. So what happened? Was I stuck in a loop i'd never have got out of?

I posted this after the resale in April and earlier today, but didn't get any answers and it's been making me fret!

I’ve had the same thing happen to me two different years, so there’s definitely a dummy waiting screen you can end up on that leads to no where, I’ve just assumed it’s due to exceeding the numbered if refreshes. To be safe it’s probably best to close your browser and re open every once in a while.

1 hour ago, Sasperella said:

I'm not sure about the timings of when they 'sold out' page goes live. It could be after every ticket is 'allocated' (i.e. on the payment page, but yet to take payment) or after successful payment. So perhaps the full quota were in the sales basket (so to speak) but then payments fail, or people close their browsers, or it crashes, technically freeing up that ticket.

Impossible to know - I'd keep trying until the site says you can't, rather than relying on Twitter etc - people were getting tickets after the official Twitter said they were gone.

Edited by Stu H

8 minutes ago, Stu H said:

I'm not sure about the timings of when they 'sold out' page goes live. It could be after every ticket is 'allocated' (i.e. on the payment page, but yet to take payment) or after successful payment. So perhaps the full quota were in the sales basket (so to speak) but then payments fail, or people close their browsers, or it crashes, technically freeing up that ticket.

Impossible to know - I'd keep trying until the site says you can't, rather than relying on Twitter etc - people were getting tickets after the official Twitter said they were gone.

I would probably just keep hammering f5 until the tears  of dejection and disappointment obscured my vision. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Sasperella said:

Would love to help, but it's all beyond me what happens. 

As an aside, I think that I may be in a loop. 

Loopy, loopy until I die!

My theory is your best bet is to have one private/incognito mode window open for 2-3 different browsers and just refresh those. Each browser's incognito window will have separate sets of cookies so good chance they'll be hitting different servers in the pool. Secondly, if one of them proves to be leading nowhere for some reason (white screen of death) then it's easy to close and open again to completely clear the cookies/cache and start again (as opposed to clearing the cache of you regular browser window). 

Important note: only ever have ONE incognito tab/window per browser, i.e. the one hitting the ticket site. Cookies are shared across a browser's incognito tabs/windows so if you had had 2 open... say private window A on seeticekts, private window B on efestivals... and then you closed A and opened a new private window to try again but did NOT close B before that then you'll still be hitting the site with the same cookies. Both need to be closed before you start again with a new private window to force the clear out. Use your regular browser tab/window for any other stuff you might need open at the time.

Above all be organised. Have reg numbers, post codes and card numbers read to copy/paste and drill everyone else trying for your group on what to do.

Good luck all!
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Mr.Tease said:

I’ve had the same thing happen to me two different years, so there’s definitely a dummy waiting screen you can end up on that leads to no where, I’ve just assumed it’s due to exceeding the numbered if refreshes. To be safe it’s probably best to close your browser and re open every once in a while.

Scary huh? A screen you can get to that goes nowhere but you don't know you're on it....

I guess the thing is, going back out and in doesn't harm, right? Because you're not actually in a queue. So you only lose a second or so by doing it.

I know I was 100% not going faster than once a second though. It always takes my page so long to load that it blows my mind that anyone would refresh that fast anyway (as it seems to me it would mean refreshing away from a loading page that could lead to tickets!)

7 hours ago, kalifire said:

Question: does an incognito/private window prevent a cache of the booking pages from being made? For the last couple of festivals, I’ve relied on being able to go ‘back’ a page when I’ve tried to move forward and it hasn’t worked. 

Private mode creates a session like normal, but when you close the window it clears any cache and files on the local machine. 

Servers see it as a normal PC so it should be no different. 

8 hours ago, Sasperella said:

Scary huh? A screen you can get to that goes nowhere but you don't know you're on it....

I guess the thing is, going back out and in doesn't harm, right? Because you're not actually in a queue. So you only lose a second or so by doing it.

I know I was 100% not going faster than once a second though. It always takes my page so long to load that it blows my mind that anyone would refresh that fast anyway (as it seems to me it would mean refreshing away from a loading page that could lead to tickets!)

It's the stuff of nightmares- I only noticed it the first time because after tickets had sold out I realised I still had browser open in the background, still looping through the 20 second count down then refreshing. I'm merely clinging to to the hope that it's due to exceeding the number of refreshes- if it's just a random occurrence then that's extra worrying!

8 hours ago, kalifire said:

Question: does an incognito/private window prevent a cache of the booking pages from being made? For the last couple of festivals, I’ve relied on being able to go ‘back’ a page when I’ve tried to move forward and it hasn’t worked. 

I'm pretty sure they fixed the "go back and do another 6" loophole last year.

Now, once you're done with your booking, going back puts you in the F5 hell with everyone else - which is fair.

So, I've joined one of those ticket pyramid schemes. Basically a bunch of people join and then get randomly sorted into different groups. So let's say there's groups A, B, and C. If A gets tickets, they start trying to get tickets for Group B. Then when Group B gets tickets, both Groups A and B will start trying to get tickets for Group C. etc 

So basically the more groups that are successful with getting tickets, the higher the chances of the other groups involved getting tickets as well. Do these things work? Trying to figure out if there's a catch

5 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

So, I've joined one of those ticket pyramid schemes. Basically a bunch of people join and then get randomly sorted into different groups. So let's say there's groups A, B, and C. If A gets tickets, they start trying to get tickets for Group B. Then when Group B gets tickets, both Groups A and B will start trying to get tickets for Group C. etc 

So basically the more groups that are successful with getting tickets, the higher the chances of the other groups involved getting tickets as well. Do these things work? Trying to figure out if there's a catch

yes in terms of numbers ... but its dependant on how interlinked the groups are with friends etc ... it would be easy for people to say thats my tickets sorted im off for a pint ... and also just be a little wary around payment ... but saying that I did similar with someone from here last year who organised it and we got all 4 groups sorted