Tickets , Tips and Tricks

Crazyfool01

As I'm not going to the festival this year, I haven't got the nerves like a lot of people on here will have. However, I will be trying to get tickets for some friends, so I am experiencing the perverse thrill of whether I'll get through or not on T Day. I can't offer any advice on how not to be nervous though, other than perhaps taking some Valium and smoking joints for two weeks!

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

As I'm not going to the festival this year, I haven't got the nerves like a lot of people on here will have. However, I will be trying to get tickets for some friends, so I am experiencing the perverse thrill of whether I'll get through or not on T Day. I can't offer any advice on how not to be nervous though, other than perhaps taking some Valium and smoking joints for two weeks!

good advice ... might take up yoga instead :) .... im still almost as nervous trying for friends though .. although that usually corresponds with the time im buying :) 

29 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I like that everyone is secretly keeping their tips to themselves ?

I think it's just that there aren't any tips or tricks to help with the ticket sale. It's designed so that nobody is advantaged.

As for advice, I'd just say be organised, be vigilant and prepare for the worst - but I'm sure that's not the kind of thing people click through for.

4 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Can anyone tell me if a VPN or wired connection is of any advantage ?

A wired connection eg Cat5 cable from laptop/PC direct into the router would only be an advantage where your wifi link was flaky....but assuming you are near enough to run a cable then that's prob not the case.

As for VPN...all it's going to do is give you a different source IP to that assigned by your router and that's about it.  Theres certainly no advantage in terms of speed, and it could be argued it would actually be adding latency needing to go via the VPN server.  

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

A wired connection eg Cat5 cable from laptop/PC direct into the router would only be an advantage where your wifi link was flaky....but assuming you are near enough to run a cable then that's prob not the case.

As for VPN...all it's going to do is give you a different source IP to that assigned by your router and that's about it.  Theres certainly no advantage in terms of speed, and it could be argued it would actually be adding latency needing to go via the VPN server.  

Cheers ... so it wouldn’t get me another IP address then ? 

24 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

So are you saying that is better to be in the same room as your router then?

46 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Cheers ... so it wouldn’t get me another IP address then ? 

That's exactly what a VPN would do. But the IP address is gonna have just the same chance as you would normally have, and be slightly slower.

If you're asking because you're looking to avoid trying from the same IP with two devices then I don't see why not but it's likely not worth investing in solely for this sale. Could also just drop onto 4G to avoid using the same channel as your main station.

41 minutes ago, AlParkin03 said:

Just out of interest is anyone trying to get tickets with any auto refresh software eg Refreshinator. Heard mixed things and wasn’t sure if Seetickets can detect it

Refreshinator? They have warned pretty strongly against that one and threatened cancellation of tickets. Plus I recall hearing that a load of folk bought that app and then didn't get a ticket anyway lmao. You might get away with using a simple Auto Refresh extension and setting it lower than the maximum refresh rate but you might as well be hitting F5. Bit slower but less of a margin of error.

Edited by dentalplan

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

That's exactly what a VPN would do. But the IP address is gonna have just the same chance as you would normally have, and be slightly slower.

If you're asking because you're looking to avoid trying from the same IP with two devices then I don't see why not but it's likely not worth investing in solely for this sale. Could also just drop onto 4G to avoid using the same channel as your main station.

Refreshinator? They have warned pretty strongly against that one and threatened cancellation of tickets. Plus I recall hearing that a load of folk bought that app and then didn't get a ticket anyway lmao. You can use a simple Auto Refresh extension and set it lower than the maximum refresh rate but you might as well be hitting F5. Bit slower but less of a margin of error.

cheers ... will just tether phone to iPad then ... not sure I have the IT ability to do it anyway  .... and was worried I might have got that death screen thing .. and wanted a fall back option 

15 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

I can’t recall what the advice was on how frequently you can safety do F5 without the risk of being locked out for a while?

60 hits in 60 seconds.

It's a rolling thing so if you do creep over the impact is temporary.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stt11 said:

So are you saying that is better to be in the same room as your router then?

I always take my laptop right next to my router but I've no idea if it makes a difference!

If you open different browsers e.g. chrome, edge, opera and mozilla does the maximum number of refreshes allowed in a minute add all these together so if you refresh each one every second it counts as four refreshes per second?

• Like 1