Coach Question

ian_sw

Had a look in Glasto info pages but I’m probably being blind and can’t find it... what are the packing limits for coach? Is it 1 bag each? Obviously trolleys are a no go but wondering if it’s possible to even take any alcohol if you’re on the coach as this is a big cost saving when you travel via your own methods.

26 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

Right, and the issue/ risk is that if people start abusing the system they will crack down and be strict on people who have missed it for legitimate reasons. 

It would be very easy for them to track how many tickets are turned over from the coaches and if that number starts climbing they will for sure end up doing something about it. 

Oh I completely agree that people shouldn’t be able to abuse the system and everything should be done to stop it. I just don’t see how they can do that without punishing people with genuine reasons.

6 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Had a look in Glasto info pages but I’m probably being blind and can’t find it... what are the packing limits for coach? Is it 1 bag each? Obviously trolleys are a no go but wondering if it’s possible to even take any alcohol if you’re on the coach as this is a big cost saving when you travel via your own methods.

I'm sure there isn't a limit 'per se'. It is more a reasonable 'what you can carry within reason' amount. I've never done the coach go Glastonbury, I have to a few other festivals years ago. I used to take a big rucksack, tent, and a smaller bag with alcohol. I only took spirits for space saving.

Bizzarely, I don't take much more when I drive apart from a camp bed and a chair!

1 hour ago, DareToDibble said:

Oh I completely agree that people shouldn’t be able to abuse the system and everything should be done to stop it. I just don’t see how they can do that without punishing people with genuine reasons.

Thing is, there'll probably be a tipping point where keeping the integrity of the (licence mandated) system intact will be considered more of a priority than finding a solution for the (presumably small number of) genuine cases. I've got no idea how close we are to that though.

2 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

Took a trolley of booze this year and just about squeezed it on at the end. Obv they aren't going to put a trolley on first when everybody has their bags to go on but luckily there was space. If there wasn't, the trolley would have been dumped. Driver discretion again. As the official line is "no trolleys" I wouldn't be surprised for some to just flat out refuse. Them the risks!

Edited by jyoung

9 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

You can definitely have more than one bag, but a trolley might be pushing it. I usually take a big rucksack (backpacker style), another reasonably large backpack (with sleeping bag, camping may and pillow all tied on), a bag for life with wellies and some cans/bags of cider in and a six-man tent. They've never had an issue with that and I cannot physically carry anything else anyway! Usually stick the smaller backpack and the bag for life on the coach with me, and big backpack and tent in the hold

10 hours ago, jyoung said:

Took a trolley of booze this year and just about squeezed it on at the end. Obv they aren't going to put a trolley on first when everybody has their bags to go on but luckily there was space. If there wasn't, the trolley would have been dumped. Driver discretion again. As the official line is "no trolleys" I wouldn't be surprised for some to just flat out refuse. Them the risks!

Dumping a trolley is hardly the Glastonbury ethos. Did you have someone with you who would have taken it away for you? 

A lot of people brought a lot more then I did from Newcastle, problem with the Newcastle coach is I won't be in site till after 5pm so I knew I would be looking for a camping space.

On our coach the driver actually forgot the tickets so these were waiting for us on site and got given out individually

Issue I have coach, and this is from what I've heard about it as I've never actually got it myself, is that coming back it's a free for all getting on. Two of my mates who got it back said people were basically left behind as their coach was full and they weren't checking tickets and people just got whatever one they could. 

Coach would be the least preferable to go down but annoyingly it gives an extra chance to get a ticket, tough one.

31 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

Issue I have coach, and this is from what I've heard about it as I've never actually got it myself, is that coming back it's a free for all getting on.

Certainly is. Get there early enough and you'll make it on but even so it might be a later coach and you'll have to wait for a few hours. Luck of the draw I guess. It's a bug bear of mine but that's a cross to bear if it means securing tickets.

41 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

Issue I have coach, and this is from what I've heard about it as I've never actually got it myself, is that coming back it's a free for all getting on. Two of my mates who got it back said people were basically left behind as their coach was full and they weren't checking tickets and people just got whatever one they could. 

Coach would be the least preferable to go down but annoyingly it gives an extra chance to get a ticket, tough one.

They were on time but couldn't get on?

Ours have been a bit of a free for all, but there's been no problem whatsoever with capacity and it was a comparatively swift and painless way out of site.

16 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Certainly is. Get there early enough and you'll make it on but even so it might be a later coach and you'll have to wait for a few hours. Luck of the draw I guess. It's a bug bear of mine but that's a cross to bear if it means securing tickets.

Are you not allocated times?

Just now, lukethekid said:

Are you not allocated times?

Yeah but what happens if you turn up at 7.30am for your 8.30am coach, the 7.30am one gets delayed, doesn't arrive until 8.30 and so on and so forth. More and more people turning up 7.30 departures are there, 8.30 and 9.30s turning up early. You have to hang around until they tell you a gate to go to, by which point anybody who is going to your destination, regardless of departure time, will just head straight to the gate. Bit of a free for all but I guess it depends where you're going. Plenty of London coaches, other places maybe not.

This is just my experience by the way. Others will have had no problem, some will have had nightmares. It differs.

12 minutes ago, clarkete said:

They were on time but couldn't get on?

Ours have been a bit of a free for all, but there's been no problem whatsoever with capacity and it was a comparatively swift and painless way out of site.

We had a 5.30am coach this year. Was in Samula till 5am, picked up our stuff from the lock up at gate a and walked straight onto our coach.

We were a group of 6. The total number on our coach, including driver was 13....

38 minutes ago, Sweet_pea said:

We had a 5.30am coach this year. Was in Samula till 5am, picked up our stuff from the lock up at gate a and walked straight onto our coach.

We were a group of 6. The total number on our coach, including driver was 13....

Crikey that's a hardcore time to travel.

(edited had forgotten what Samula was for a minute :) ) 

My mind is pretty simply and I can only think of a limited number of explanations:-

1. You had a vital appointment that day

2. You were still partying from the night before

3. You're a papergirl

4. You're a milkwoman

Edited by clarkete

1 hour ago, jyoung said:

Yeah but what happens if you turn up at 7.30am for your 8.30am coach, the 7.30am one gets delayed, doesn't arrive until 8.30 and so on and so forth. More and more people turning up 7.30 departures are there, 8.30 and 9.30s turning up early. You have to hang around until they tell you a gate to go to, by which point anybody who is going to your destination, regardless of departure time, will just head straight to the gate. Bit of a free for all but I guess it depends where you're going. Plenty of London coaches, other places maybe not.

This is just my experience by the way. Others will have had no problem, some will have had nightmares. It differs.

Ahhhh I get ya. So assumably they don't check who you are getting on to the coaches? Bit daft init. A couple of members from our group want to try in the coach sale to try an optimise our chances of ticket success, I'm not 100% onboard with the idea but I'll go with the general consensus. 

38 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Crikey that's a hardcore time to travel.

(edited had forgotten what Samula was for a minute :) ) 

My mind is pretty simply and I can only think of a limited number of explanations:-

1. You had a vital appointment that day

2. You were still partying from the night before

3. You're a papergirl

4. You're a milkwoman

In my defense, I took no notice of the return coach time when I was clicking through the booking process. All I knew is that I was on one of the first coaches to the Festival ?

But yes, we packed up early Sunday and then just partied through. Seeing the sun coming up through the trees in Samula was pretty special.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, lukethekid said:

Ahhhh I get ya. So assumably they don't check who you are getting on to the coaches? Bit daft init. A couple of members from our group want to try in the coach sale to try an optimise our chances of ticket success, I'm not 100% onboard with the idea but I'll go with the general consensus. 

Is daft mate but I guess they just want to get people offsite as quickly as possible. That's my experience going to Liverpool by the way.

12 minutes ago, lukethekid said:

In regards to times and stuff are you just allocated a time or can you pick? 

You can only pick times from London and (I think) Bristol. With Liverpool you get what you're given. I think it works on a first come first served basis. My tickets were booked four minutes into the sale and I was lucky enough to be on the 6am coach. I think if you get through, say twenty five minutes into the sale and secure tickets, you're likely to be on a later coach.

Edited by jyoung