Rock Im Park/Rock Am Ring 2020

BlackFoxx

13 minutes ago, cristyflorin said:

RIP is city-based, near Nurember center, you can rent an airbnb and be a tourist during the day, eat in a restaurant etc. RAR is an isolated forest 1h away from the nearest city, where you're stuck in camping and the fest. RIP all the way.

Do three day, no camping tickets become available for RIP because they are available for RAR...

1 hour ago, cristyflorin said:

RIP is city-based, near Nurember center, you can rent an airbnb and be a tourist during the day, eat in a restaurant etc. RAR is an isolated forest 1h away from the nearest city, where you're stuck in camping and the fest. RIP all the way.

I kind of like the isolated feel, it went a festival feel and not a gig in a field each day.

Camping at Rock im Park is way worse compared to the other EU festivals I've been (Werchter, Sziget, Inmusic, Exit). It's loud 24h a day but it's not a party vibe, it's getting drunk/passing out vibe. It's literally one big dumpster, there's so much trash that I have no idea where it's actually coming from.

The festival itself is amazing tho! The sound quality is really good, arena (3rd stage) has a nice atmosphere and has amazing moshpits. Gate system works great on both outdoor stages. Big screens all over the place. There're plenty of places to get water etc. I have 0 complaints about the festival itself :D 

Basically what I want to say, don't do camping at Rock im Park

Edited by Nicklord

I've only been to Rock Im Park and did the Green Camping option which was fine and at least as good if not better to other UK festival camping options I'm used to. Had a really good number of showers you could buy an extra wristband for which was invaluable as it was quite hot the year I went. Don't remember much of a loud party atmosphere at all, more an issue of waking up early because of the heat rather than being kept up late instead. Festival site and camping was also really easy to get to from the train and was a really smooth transition from the airport. Had a little trouble trying to find a spot to begin with and the right campsite but would mark that down more to inexperience rather than anything else.

Festival itself was great though and saw Gorillaz and Muse for the first time with good spots for both. Also second the previous comment about the arena stage in the (I think?) ice hockey stadium on site, saw Alexisonfire play at about 1am to finish my festival and one of my favourite sets I've ever seen. Still got the set list on my wall at home. Would definitely recommend it as a festival if you like the lineup, usually scheduling is done really well and I had a great time when I went.

Green camping is a good shout, pretty decent quality. The main camping is quite loud & dirty though, think Reading fest + loud music blasting from stereos in front of tents ?

If you prefer music at the festival with flexibility offered by the town proximity over partying I would go for Park. If you come with a group to party, Ring is great. There are 2 key differences apart from location

- Ring runs pretty late into night (3am?) so you get more sets in the dark.

- Park has ice hockey stadium as the 3rd stage which has an interesting vibe. I can imagine it's not to everyone's taste though.

For the record, I am going to Park, this will be my 11th, so I am likely biased ?

Thanks guys, any info on alcohol sold?, beer, cider, spirits?

I think I'm going to look into green camp but way up options between this and Werchter. I went Germany to Dortmund for the Super Cup in August and found a couple of bars selling cider, the others didn't have a clue what I was on about so I'm not expecting much.

Becks beer is everywhere, few variants across the site, decent quality imho.

I think there's a cider place at the Arena stage (2nd) at the end of the field, as well as honey wine, etc.

Jack Daniels is the partner, they have few pos and the truck with the coctails, etc. 

I would say it's OK, better than Reading (except cider which is harder to get). And it's cheaper ?

1 hour ago, Ferda said:

Becks beer is everywhere, few variants across the site, decent quality imho.

I think there's a cider place at the Arena stage (2nd) at the end of the field, as well as honey wine, etc.

Jack Daniels is the partner, they have few pos and the truck with the coctails, etc. 

I would say it's OK, better than Reading (except cider which is harder to get). And it's cheaper ?

As long as I can get Somersby and JD it's fine. Have they stopped letting you take food in to the arena now?

I guess RAR is the much harder one to get to but the feeling is the experience will be a better one.

I saw the onsite shop at Leeds this year.....rammo outside with people avoiding truck prices. 

6 hours ago, thewayiam said:

As long as I can get Somersby and JD it's fine. Have they stopped letting you take food in to the arena now?

I guess RAR is the much harder one to get to but the feeling is the experience will be a better one.

I saw the onsite shop at Leeds this year.....rammo outside with people avoiding truck prices. 

I've never taken food into arena but I reckon it's not an issue as long as you carry it in the plastic A4 bag. The festival has quite useful FAQ, I recommend checking that to be sure as they change the policy from time to time. Food onsite is quite OK, but I find Reading better as the food offering is more varied there.

8 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Does either festival do day tickets?

Rock im Park pretty much every year around april or may, Rock am Ring didn't used to have day tickets, but since they didn't sell out in the recent years they are offering some limited day tickets too.

@ParanoidTourist: as I metioned above both festivals weren't sold out in the last two or three years (the year with Foo Fighters, Muse, Gorillaz and Thirty Seconds to Mars was a desaster) , but tickets will get more and more expensive the longer you wait (not including the secondary market ;) )

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Hullabaloo92 said:

@ParanoidTourist: as I metioned above both festivals weren't sold out in the last two or three years (the year with Foo Fighters, Muse, Gorillaz and Thirty Seconds to Mars was a desaster) , but tickets will get more and more expensive the longer you wait (not including the secondary market ;) )

Thanks for the info! Then I won't feel any ticket stress for a while;) 

43 minutes ago, Hullabaloo92 said:

Rock im Park pretty much every year around april or may, Rock am Ring didn't used to have day tickets, but since they didn't sell out in the recent years they are offering some limited day tickets too.

TBF though, Muse these days and then Gorillaz and 30STM is poor.

I think 199 euro is great for wed to sun, reckon I'm looking at RIP mainly due to the travelling from England.

Not completely true re sell-outs - RaR sold out 2014-17, 2018 was a weaker year, 2019 was close to sell out on both sites. Park was sold out in 2012, 15 and 17. I believe 2017 was their strongest year ever, with both sites selling out despite an increased capacity at Park.

Hard to guess for 2020, however RaR/RiP tend to sell out when having a German headliner which is not the case this year. Anyway, you are safe to buy next spring, it never sells out sooner than April.

Edited by Ferda
typos correction
  • Upvote 1