50 years of Glastonbury event with Emily & Guests

Hugh Jass

1 minute ago, Gnomicide said:

Sort of goes against the grain of perceived wisdom doesn't it? i.e. not announcing Glastonbury until the tour has sold a decent amount of tickets.

It really does, but I suppose if she announced the tour first the cat would be more or less out the bag with those dates anyway.

The GF announcement generated a huge amount of free publicity and goodwill towards her so it makes sense to strike while she's hot and follow up with her own tour announcement.

2 hours ago, Mackem said:

I saw Lamb there last night. It’s a few years since I was last there and I’d forgotten that a. It’s fcfs seating (so get there early or you’ll end up in the gods like I did) b. You can’t take your drinks into the chapel, so you’ll need to take it in turns to reserve seats or lose them.

Great venue though, you’re right

You absolutely can take your drink into the chapel. Just so long as it's a nice cup of tea.

On 10/29/2019 at 10:22 AM, Hugh Jass said:

It really does, but I suppose if she announced the tour first the cat would be more or less out the bag with those dates anyway.

The GF announcement generated a huge amount of free publicity and goodwill towards her so it makes sense to strike while she's hot and follow up with her own tour announcement.

I think Diana Ross is perhaps big enough not to have to worry about those things as much. 

A lovely night. Here are my notes of comments that stood out:

Ed O’Brien: you have to realise that you are a soundtrack for perhaps a few minutes, at most a couple of hours of someone’s weekend; 

it’s a continuation of thousand of yrs of celebrations of mid-summer;

spent most of last time in Shangri-la;

asked an 83-year old friend in Shangr-la how it felt and he said it was a meeting of tribes, East, West, North & South, which seemed perfect;

we loved always going to the crashed fuselage, which served tequila

Billy Bragg: at a festival you’ve gotta be like a busker, play what the crowd want.

I learnt you don’t want to move against a Coldplay crowd, I ended up pinned against a board by a pie shop!

There should be no Queen appearance, regardless of badgers, until they apologise for their Sun City appearance

Favourite thing of last year was the Crumbleshack opposite the Left Field, he had crumble for breakfast, lunch & dinner!

Caitlyn Moran loves how people at G are “competitively lovely”, just waiting to help each other out, everyone becomes a different person for the weekend & after;

the pirate ship she saw the 1st time she went, going by on a truck & staffed by Goth girls wearing short skirts dancing to No Diggity, looked like her idea of heaven!

Emily Eavis sells Sunday slots to acts on the basis that “people are so emotional”!

Edited by Brave Sir Robin
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4

10 hours ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

A lovely night. Here are my notes of comments that stood out:

Ed O’Brien: you have to realise that you are a soundtrack for perhaps a few minutes, at most a couple of hours of someone’s weekend; 

it’s a continuation of thousand of yrs of celebrations of mid-summer;

spent most of last time in Shangri-la;

asked an 83-year old friend in Shangr-la how it felt and he said it was a meeting of tribes, East, West, North & South, which seemed perfect;

we loved always going to the crashed fuselage, which served tequila

Billy Bragg: at a festival you’ve gotta be like a busker, play what the crowd want.

I learnt you don’t want to move against a Coldplay crowd, I ended up pinned against a board by a pie shop!

There should be no Queen appearance, regardless of badgers, until they apologise for their Sun City appearance

Favourite thing of last year was the Crumbleshack opposite the Left Field, he had crumble for breakfast, lunch & dinner!

Caitlyn Moran loves how people at G are “competitively lovely”, just waiting to help each other out, everyone becomes a different person for the weekend & after;

the pirate ship she saw the 1st time she went, going by on a truck & staffed by Goth girls wearing short skirts dancing to No Diggity, looked like her idea of heaven!

Emily Eavis sells Sunday slots to acts on the basis that “people are so emotional”!

Forgive my ignorance but what was the Sun City appearance (a gig i'm guessing?) and why should Queen be apologising for it? 

1 hour ago, Doug85 said:

Sounds as though Emily is considering making the Pyramid arena slightly bigger for this year as she mentioned moving the tent line back.

Typically I litter pick the Pyramid arena every morning so a bigger space means slightly more work :mellow:

And there goes another chunk of Row Mead camping :(.

Good summary @Brave Sir Robin it was a thoroughly enjoyable night.  The only other story which I liked hearing was when Mary McCartney and Emily were talking about Lionel Ritchies obsession with moss and how super friendly he is and making sure his path to stage was clear otherwise he would stop and talk to everyone.

Sadly no info around acts playing next year, but there is definitely good relationships with the locals and council so should see the festival running for the foreseeable future.