50 years of Glastonbury event with Emily & Guests

Hugh Jass

1 hour ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

So you're an apartheid supporter then? 

WTF?

(Or maybe too stupid or young to understand/know about it?)

No I’m not, but that article is sanctimonious claptrap. But it’s the guardian so of course it is. A paper for people who like to pretend they care about things as long as they care about it from a distance and don’t have to get their hands dirty or experience things first hand.

should Queen have played? No looking back, they shouldn’t have done. 

( don’t be a condescending prick, assuming things about people you don’t know is a very dangerous thing,)

• Downvote 6

37 minutes ago, Smeble said:

No I’m not, but that article is sanctimonious claptrap. But it’s the guardian so of course it is. A paper for people who like to pretend they care about things as long as they care about it from a distance and don’t have to get their hands dirty or experience things first hand.

should Queen have played? No looking back, they shouldn’t have done. 

( don’t be a condescending prick, assuming things about people you don’t know is a very dangerous thing,)

Really? Please tell why? 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Chrisp1986 said:

Michael say nothing really?

Nope just a evening of a few good stories and ‘we’ll get Fleetwood mac one day’

There was an opportunity before the  start for the audience to write a question for him someone asked about the kids field  and he was talking about artists that have played In there over the years at the time he  couldn’t remember the name of a Bristol artist that won the Mercury Prize . 

A friend of mine from the village was dropping me and my gf home. Michael asked them for a lift home whilst we were getting the book signed so on the way home I reminded him it was Roni Size who’s name escapes him on stage. 

On 11/1/2019 at 12:45 AM, Brave Sir Robin said:

Billy Bragg: There should be no Queen appearance, regardless of badgers, until they apologise for their Sun City appearance

As a Queen fan in the 80’s, I was very disappointed when they chose to play Sun City. 

However, they weren’t alone in doing so - but it’s always them that get the flak. Was Dolly Parton asked to apologise? She played Sun City during apartheid. As did Elton John. Did Rod Stewart have to grovel before he played Glasto?

Money talks and musicians often listen. Lionel Richie played a concert for Colonel Gaddafi in 2006. Mariah Carey and Beyoncé have played for Gaddafi’s family. Kanye West played for Kazakhstan’s leader’s family, despite his notorious human rights abuses. A lot of artists have a price

4 hours ago, henry bear said:

As a Queen fan in the 80’s, I was very disappointed when they chose to play Sun City. 

However, they weren’t alone in doing so - but it’s always them that get the flak. Was Dolly Parton asked to apologise? She played Sun City during apartheid. As did Elton John. Did Rod Stewart have to grovel before he played Glasto?

The reason seems pretty simple to me - Queen played after Artists Against Aprartheid had been formed, the others before. So it's just an awareness issue. Doesn't make the other acts actions OK of course.

Edited by incident
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, incident said:

The reason seems pretty simple to me - Queen played after Artists Against Aprartheid had been formed, the others before. So it's just an awareness issue. Doesn't make the other acts actions OK of course.

Don’t think you’re right. Artists Against Apartheid was a musical collaboration, and their records were released in late 1985, a year after Queen played Sun City.

The United Nations had declared a cultural boycott against artists playing South Africa, but many chose to ignore it, including Queen, Dolly Parton, Cher, Elton, Status Quo, Barry Manilow, George Benson and many others. Queen’s participation was no different from the others, other than it was picked up by the press.

Not everybody agrees with the notion of cultural boycotting. Queen didn’t, neither did Paul Simon - who broke it in order to record ‘Graceland’. Nick Cave and Radiohead don’t either - they have been very vocal regarding the cultural boycott of Israel.

11 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Don’t think you’re right. Artists Against Apartheid was a musical collaboration, and their records were released in late 1985, a year after Queen played Sun City.

AAA was started in 1983 and ran a series of rallies/concerts in the mid 80s. But regardless of that level of specifics, the basic point is that awareness grew throughout the decade, and so the acts that played in 82-83 flew under the radar a bit more. An easy example is that The Specials released Free Nelson Mandela in early 84, after Elton etc had played but before Queen did.