Acts Touring Around Glastonbury 2020

Gnomicide

44 minutes ago, ticketboy69 said:

There might be a correlation between having children and knowing who Camila Cabello is? It’s the only reason I know who she is. 

I think you are right on that one - my daughter would love to see her.

That being said, she has had 2 of the biggest hit singles in recent years so still think it strange that people haven’t heard of her .....

2 minutes ago, jyoung said:

arguably (almost def imo) none of them are similar to her.

Yeah they’re pop women and that’s more or less it. Starting to ache at how much this is becoming a thing.

FWIW I think the gap will end filled by another festival in a country where she isn’t already playing dates and Glastonbury won’t see her. Shame because I really wanted the Harry Kane guest spot.

5 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Only one of those did it and arguably (almost def imo) none of them are similar to her.

OK. My mistake.  Third down then.

Not similar on record, but similar in the sense that they've had a couple of big hit singles and are trying to consolidate that success into a career. 

9 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Yeah they’re pop women and that’s more or less it. Starting to ache at how much this is becoming a thing.

Yup. It’s a bit of an ache to see folks thinking all female pop artists are the same size or destined to only fill one spot and one spot only. Not all female artists have the same size following, just like not all male artists take the same spot on a lineup.

I think there’s a big chance of Camila playing. She’s not that big here outside of one or two popular radio singles and success with the very young music market (like early teens). However when listening to her music and the type of stuff she gets involved with I think there’s definitely room for expansion in the UK market. In the US she’s pretty much a household name, just how pop girls tend to be over there, but here she’s definitely not as well known as Miley or Katy Perry. I imagine if she played third down on the pyramid her crowd would not be anywhere near the size of those two.

Other sub works well. She can still bring whatever production she wants - and if there is a clash with Lana I can’t see that being an issue really. Not all female acts have the same fanbase, and not all female acts make the same music.

I for one would be at Lana and wouldn’t mind missing Camila - whereas I’m pretty sure someone in my group would prefer Camila over Lana as they will probably want something a bit more upbeat.

edit: I also think third down on the pyramid is too big for her. Camila isn’t really gunning to headline anything yet. Far too early in her career, and as other users have said she’s not established herself as a major ticket seller yet.

Edited by Matt42

For the record I only suggested third on Pyramid as her brand of pop IS more similar to the stuff you'd find on there rather than the Other Stage (more suited to the folk that spend all day at the Pyramid too as it's an easy bop). You're right that she isn't as big in the UK though and so yeah she could turn up halfway up the Pyramid rather than third.

Edited by jyoung

10 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I think she’s significantly smaller than Miley and Katy Perry. Especially in the UK.

Kind off a strange debate going here - not sure I can recall anyone actually claiming she is as big as Miley or Katy Perry and yet that's whats being debated.  I personally wouldn't put her close to them in size and popularity - but still that doesn't preclude her from doing a similar size slot.  Sometimes people are given a slot because it just fits with the schedule / dynamic.  I am pretty sure planning out the schedule is not done by a precise formula using metrics etc.  If that was the case Stormzy would never have headlined the Pyramid.  Sometimes they take risks and promote people above their standing, and sometimes the reverse.  I think that's a good thing.

11 minutes ago, jyoung said:

For the record I only suggested third on Pyramid as her brand of pop IS more similar to the stuff you'd find on there rather than the Other Stage (more suited to the folk that spend all day at the Pyramid too as it's an easy bop)

I'm with your logic here ?

2 minutes ago, Tuna said:

deflecting, is it? ;)

Don't think so. There are just fewer interesting male pop stars to compare her to.  You could bring up Lewis Capaldi, George Ezra, etc. but I dont feel qualified to guage where they are career-wise cos they're so MOR my brain starts to leak out my ears when I even try contemplating them.

But Emile sande and Ellie Goulding have subbed the other stage before? I don’t know why Camila doesn’t suit it? 

I reckon Ellie Goulding had more fans in the UK when she played that slot than Camila does now

Edited by Matt42