Jump to content

Acts Touring Around Glastonbury 2020


Gnomicide

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Memory Man said:

Leeds venues:

God Tier - Brudenell Social Club (Main Room), Belgrave Music Hall

Good Tier - Wharf Chambers, Headrow House (if you're at the front, average if not),

Average Tier - Wardrobe (if you're at the front, below average to poor if not), o2 Academy (good production and sound, dreadful bar toilets security), Key Club

Below Average Tier - Brudenell (Games Room, just doesnt compare to main room, vibe feel soulless and the bolt-on that it is and a much less good bar offering. Annoying to enter and exit when busy), Arena

Shit Tier - Stylus

Beyond awful tier - Refectory

disclaimer: I always stand towards the front at gigs and can't understand anyone who doesnt.

I think the first direct arena is actually pretty good. Unless you're in like the back row in tye top tier then you feel about 4 miles from the stage.

No matter where you're stood you get a pretty good view and all facilities are spot on, bars, toilets etc.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, pryce said:

Shame the Civic, Wulfrun and Slade rooms are in Wolverhampton because they would be instantly the best in Birmingham. Really don't like anywhere on brum. 

 

They were great venues. Saw a lot of the Kerrang bands in the Civic and Wulfrun in the early 2000s - and also Whitesnake playing to a half full room in 2004. Not sure if I ever saw a sellout there, but movement, bar access and everything else was very good.

 

A thread for all of this would be cool, but where would it go? I've got a lot of birmingham opinions

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My go at Newcastle Venues:

God:  The Sage*

Good :   Boiler Shop, Cluny, Cumberland Arms,  Bobiks

Average:  Think Tank

Bad: Riverside, 02 Academy,  Northumbria Institute

Hell:  02 City Hall ,  Utilita Arena 

 

*technically Gateshead

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Memory Man said:

Leeds venues:

God Tier - Brudenell Social Club (Main Room), Belgrave Music Hall

Good Tier - Wharf Chambers, Headrow House (if you're at the front, average if not),

Average Tier - Wardrobe (if you're at the front, below average to poor if not), o2 Academy (good production and sound, dreadful bar toilets security), Key Club

Below Average Tier - Brudenell (Games Room, just doesnt compare to main room, vibe feel soulless and the bolt-on that it is and a much less good bar offering. Annoying to enter and exit when busy), Arena

Shit Tier - Stylus

Beyond awful tier - Refectory

disclaimer: I always stand towards the front at gigs and can't understand anyone who doesnt.

Hmm, I'm unconvinced by this. 

Very generous to Belgrave & Headrow House. 

Equally very harsh on Stylus (love that place), Wardrobe, and the Arena. 

Comically I very rarely stand towards the front these days. I find you get much better sound and a bit of room further back. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Memory Man said:

Leeds venues:

God Tier - Brudenell Social Club (Main Room), Belgrave Music Hall

Good Tier - Wharf Chambers, Headrow House (if you're at the front, average if not),

Average Tier - Wardrobe (if you're at the front, below average to poor if not), o2 Academy (good production and sound, dreadful bar toilets security), Key Club

Below Average Tier - Brudenell (Games Room, just doesnt compare to main room, vibe feel soulless and the bolt-on that it is and a much less good bar offering. Annoying to enter and exit when busy), Arena

Shit Tier - Stylus

Beyond awful tier - Refectory

disclaimer: I always stand towards the front at gigs and can't understand anyone who doesnt.

Now we're talking. Can't disagree with most of that (including your disclaimer!), though I would shift your below average choices up to average. The arena is decent, though I wouldn't say I enjoy it any more than Manchester.

Used to agree with Stylus, though recently I've made an effort to get there early and get a good spot, and have enjoyed it a lot more. Still seems oversold though, especially when you see all the people around the bar area and beyond.

Would also add Hyde Park Book Club, Church, and Library to the good venues. Would add Leeds Beckett uni and Oporto to the average list

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jon F said:

My go at Newcastle Venues:

God:  The Sage*

Good :   Boiler Shop, Cluny, Cumberland Arms,  Bobiks

Average:  Think Tank

Bad: Riverside, 02 Academy,  Northumbria Institute

Hell:  02 City Hall ,  Utilita Arena 

 

*technically Gateshead

Wouldn't put City Hall in hell; was there for The Last Shadow Puppets and thought it was alright. Would agree with the rest though, perhaps the Cluny gets elevated for it's beer and pre-gig food.

Hopefully they'll take a leaf out of Leeds book when building the new Arena over the river.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, The Martini Police said:

What's wrong with the Birmingham arena/NIA? I thought it was pretty good when I saw Arctic Monkeys there. Location is great too, unlike the NEC arena (or whatever it's called now).

As far as arenas go, it's decent.  Good sound in there, can see the stage well from anywhere, never too overcrowded on the floor.

Bar queues are horrendous though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Fish Bulb said:

Castle & Falcon (old Ceol Castle) is also decent, but it is tiny, so does it count?

I'm going to a gig at St Paul's Church in a couple of weeks. Surely that, by definition, is God Tier?

I saw Laura Marling at St Paul's in 2008 - it was an interesting experience!  Didn't realise anyone else still played there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, rawrsomesauce said:

Cardiff venues...

God: Clwb Ifor Bach

Good: Tramshed, The Moon, Fuel

Average: The Globe, Great Hall

Bad: Motorpoint Arena

I've not been to Y Plas since it was Solus so I have no idea what it's like in there these days but Solus was good. 

I actually don't mind the Motorpoint Arena.  Toilet queues are a problem but other than that, it's alright.   It's a lot smaller than some of the other arenas so you get a more 'intimate' arena experience.   Sure, it's soulless, but they all are.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, FakeEmpire said:

I actually don't mind the Motorpoint Arena.  Toilet queues are a problem but other than that, it's alright.   It's a lot smaller than some of the other arenas so you get a more 'intimate' arena experience.   Sure, it's soulless, but they all are.

Most of the time, the sound is awful in there in my experience. The only time I remember the sound being relatively okay was Biffy there in 2013, likewise in 2016. Not to mention, security are usually absolute dicks. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Divein said:

Can't believe no one mentioned the White Hotel as great Manchester venues.

 

Not all football teams get given a stadium for nothing.

I added it in my OP, Black Midi there last year was my fave gig in a long time.

 

4 hours ago, Memory Man said:

Leeds venues:

God Tier - Brudenell Social Club (Main Room), Belgrave Music Hall

Good Tier - Wharf Chambers, Headrow House (if you're at the front, average if not),

Average Tier - Wardrobe (if you're at the front, below average to poor if not), o2 Academy (good production and sound, dreadful bar toilets security), Key Club

Below Average Tier - Brudenell (Games Room, just doesnt compare to main room, vibe feel soulless and the bolt-on that it is and a much less good bar offering. Annoying to enter and exit when busy), Arena

Shit Tier - Stylus

Beyond awful tier - Refectory

disclaimer: I always stand towards the front at gigs and can't understand anyone who doesnt.

 

5 hours ago, priest17 said:

If you're curious, Night People is awful, RNCM was really raw and interesting although there's not much leg room in the seats, Bridgewater Hall sounded amazing, bit fancy for me though.

 

I'm surprised for all the love of Castle Hotel. Its one of favourite pubs in town and I've seen some good gigs there but it doesn't register as an amazing venue for me. 

 

Yeh not a lot on at Night People that has taken my fancy tbh.
I'll see Midi at RNCM in June - looking forward to it.

 

Also Leeds people - whats the Irish Centre like? Agreed that Brudenell is God tier, not been to many others since Cockpit/Basement days

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, The Martini Police said:

What's wrong with the Birmingham arena/NIA? I thought it was pretty good when I saw Arctic Monkeys there. Location is great too, unlike the NEC arena (or whatever it's called now).

I saw David Bowie in what turned out to be his last ever tour at the NEC so willing to give it a pass.

Venues in Brum are shaky at best. For the second city its live music offerings are piss poor.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, rawrsomesauce said:

Most of the time, the sound is awful in there in my experience. The only time I remember the sound being relatively okay was Biffy there in 2013, likewise in 2016. Not to mention, security are usually absolute dicks. 

Ah right.

Admittedly, some of my better experiences there have been gigs where they've not shfited all the tickets.   Frank Turner & Pixies were both brilliant, no sound problems where I was.  

I've not been in the seats since my first ever gig back in 2001 though so can't comment on the sound up there!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, adequate8 said:

I added it in my OP, Black Midi there last year was my fave gig in a long time.

 

 

Yeh not a lot on at Night People that has taken my fancy tbh.
I'll see Midi at RNCM in June - looking forward to it.

 

Also Leeds people - whats the Irish Centre like? Agreed that Brudenell is God tier, not been to many others since Cockpit/Basement days

I've not been to the Irish Centre in years but found it a pretty good venue. Parking is a bit of a mare. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, zeppelin said:

Hmm, I'm unconvinced by this. 

Very generous to Belgrave & Headrow House. 

Equally very harsh on Stylus (love that place), Wardrobe, and the Arena. 

Comically I very rarely stand towards the front these days. I find you get much better sound and a bit of room further back. 

Belgrave and headrow's sound systems are superb and punch above their weight for the size of venue. They get massive plus points for me by having a good bar offering but that probably shows what an alcoholic i am 😄

The last time I went to stylus was for Sleaford Mods and admittedly we were late in but could not physically get on the floor itself so had to stand around the side about 3 deep. it was beyond shite. you couldnt see much and the sound was muddy AF. the bar offering is a joke. If we'd got there earlier then it would have been better. Going up and down narrow steps to access the floor is also ridiculous. for how well sold it was (oversold) it was a joke and borderline dangerous.

Edited by Memory Man
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Jon F said:

My go at Newcastle Venues:

God:  The Sage*

Good :   Boiler Shop, Cluny, Cumberland Arms,  Bobiks

Average:  Think Tank

Bad: Riverside, 02 Academy,  Northumbria Institute

Hell:  02 City Hall ,  Utilita Arena 

 

*technically Gateshead

Controversial here but I prefer the current Riverside to the old one. The sound is mint.

Id have Boiler Shop at God Level.
Academy I’d have as hell. 
Northumbria average.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, FakeEmpire said:

There's lots I haven't done but I will go with:

God Tier - None

Good - Hare & Hounds, Digbeth Arena, The Sunflower Lounge

Average - O2 Institute, Birmingham Arena, Resorts World Arena, Mama Roux's, Symphony Hall

Terrible - O2 Academy

 

 

 

God Tier: NIA, The Asylum 1, Academy 3

Good: The Mill, The Victoria, Academy 2, Castle & Falcon, Institute 1, Institute 3, The Asylum 2, NEC, Actress & Bishop, Symphony Hall, Hare & Hounds, Digbeth Arena, The Station (Kings Heath)

Average: Academy 1, Sunflower Lounge, Institute 2, Town Hall, Ort, Glee Club, Scruffy Murphy's

Terrible: Mama Roux's.

 

I woulda put Irish Centre and The Flapper in the good catergory but rip.

I haven't been to Dead Wax yet.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Badlands said:

Controversial here but I prefer the current Riverside to the old one. The sound is mint.

Id have Boiler Shop at God Level.
Academy I’d have as hell. 
Northumbria average.

 

Sound at the new Riverside is great if you're in the main area - once you get to the slightly raised bit at the back it's a muffled mess.  That only happens when gigs sell out though - I was stuck there for most of Idles but my own fault for getting there late.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...