Acts Touring Around Glastonbury 2020

Gnomicide

6 minutes ago, Gingerfish79 said:

I'm off to Ally Pally on Saturday to see Bombay Bike Club... cant wait for the gig but already cursing the walk up that f'ing hill!

Only been to Ally Pally once for Chvrches, and have to say that I didn't really see the attraction of it at the time.  Just felt like a massive warehouse, but fully accept I'm probably missing something as there seems to be a lot of love for it!

Just now, Quark said:

Only been to Ally Pally once for Chvrches, and have to say that I didn't really see the attraction of it at the time.  Just felt like a massive warehouse, but fully accept I'm probably missing something as there seems to be a lot of love for it!

I think it's a marmite venue.  The building itself is amazing (as is the view of London from outside) but I find that unless you are in the first third of the concert hall, the sound is absolute shite.  I won't go to gigs there I dislike it as a venue so much, and quite a few of my friends feel the same

6 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Or the bus from Wood Green station if Piccadilly line is easier for you. 

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Get the bus from Finsbury Park. Stops right outside.

Thanks both, I'll investigate. Its a more immediate issue on this visit as I'm likely to be 3/4s full of Guinness after watching the rugby!

5 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Pretty much agree. 

Personally think O2 is the worst venue in London so it would be lower. 

I also used to live 10 minutes from Ally Pally so I’d maybe have it higher, although I understand for most people it’s a ball ache to get to. 

Roundhouse and Brixton the GOATs.

See I don't mind the O2, I know a lot of people hate it but for me it's perfectly adequate as an arena.

Helps that I only live 15 minutes away.

5 minutes ago, Quark said:

Its a lovely building, the food and drink offering is good and the views over London are great. The sound quality is average at best (it is especially poor for the support bands), but the atmosphere has always been great when I've been there.

52 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Obviously there are hundreds of venues in London, but as a flavour:

• God: The Roundhouse, Brixton Academy, Royal Albert Hall, APE (Victoria Park)
  • Good: Hammersmith Apollo, Ally Pally, Shepherds Bush Empire, Electric (Camden),
  • Average: The O2, Village Underground, Kentish Town Forum, Hackney Empire, The London Stadium
  • Shite: Wembley Stadium and Arena, Hyde Park

Would tend to agree with this aside from The London Stadium. Getting out of there back to Stratford Station can be awful with the way you are routed - took us almost 1.5 hours to get out and on the tube after Guns n Roses in 2017. 

Special mention to The Astoria, alas no more. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, adequate8 said:

My shouts:

God tier: Albert Hall, Yes (both rooms), Deaf Institute, Castle Hotel, White Hotel, Band on the Wall, Apollo
Good tier: Ritz, Academy 3, Soup Kitchen, Night & Day, Gullivers, Gorilla
Average tier: Arena, Club Academy, Castlefield Bowl, Academy 2, Jimmys, Peer Hat
Shit tier: Victoria Warehouse, Aatma, Academy 1

Never been to: RNCM, Bridgwater Hall, Night People

If you're curious, Night People is awful, RNCM was really raw and interesting although there's not much leg room in the seats, Bridgewater Hall sounded amazing, bit fancy for me though.

I'm surprised for all the love of Castle Hotel. Its one of favourite pubs in town and I've seen some good gigs there but it doesn't register as an amazing venue for me. 

God tier: Albert Hall, Deaf Institute, White Hotel, Apollo
Good tier: Ritz, Academy 3, Soup Kitchen, Gullivers, Gorilla, Yes (basement), Castle Hotel, RNCM, Band on the Wall
Average tier: Arena, Castlefield Bowl, Academy 2, Jimmys, Peer Hat, Aatma, Retro, Yes (Pink Room), Night & Day, Bridgewater Hall
Shit tier: Victoria Warehouse, Academy 1, Club Academy, Night People

Still working my way around the venues around Brighton.  Only one I'm not a massive fan of so far is the Ropetackle Centre in Shoreham. Very odd venue for a gig, feels like a school hall. Of the ones I've done

Tier 1 - Brighton Dome Concert Hall, Concorde 2

Tier 2 - Patterns, Chalk (prev The Haunt), Prince Albert, The Hope

Tier 3 - Green Door Store, East Street Tap

Tier 4 - Ropetackle

35 minutes ago, Chef said:

Would tend to agree with this aside from The London Stadium. Getting out of there back to Stratford Station can be awful with the way you are routed - took us almost 1.5 hours to get out and on the tube after Guns n Roses in 2017. 

I have only been to 1 gig there, Depeche Mode, and thankfully we were staying at the Premier Inn by Stratford International station as queues in the other direction to Stratford station looked horrendous.

So if folk are going there for gigs I'd suggest going back via Stratford International if feasible.

35 minutes ago, Chef said:

I have only been to 1 gig there, Depeche Mode, and thankfully we were staying at the Premier Inn by Stratford International station as queues in the other direction to Stratford station looked horrendous.

So if folk are going there for gigs I'd suggest going back via Stratford International if feasible.

1 minute ago, Quark said:

Still working my way around the venues around Brighton.  Only one I'm not a massive fan of so far is the Ropetackle Centre in Shoreham. Very odd venue for a gig, feels like a school hall. Of the ones I've done

Tier 4 - Ropetackle

Saw the National at the Brighton Centre just before Christmas and thought the venue was ace.

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

Saw the National at the Brighton Centre just before Christmas and thought the venue was ace.

Not been there for a gig yet.  Only ones that tempted me were Prodigy (yep, should have gone for that one :() and Sam Fender (couldn't get a ticket).

8 minutes ago, Quark said:

Tier 4 - Ropetackle

Green Door Store is definitely better than that. Also think Brighton Centre is pretty poor. 

11 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Noooooooo Brighton Centre is the worst one!

13 minutes ago, Quark said:

Tier 4 - Ropetackle

My formative years were spent getting sweaty in Concorde 2 - great place. The Dome is definitely top dog though. Patterns was Audio when I used to go to gigs there and I loved the low ceiling. The Haunt was alright but a proper sticky floor one! Green Door Store I only ever did club nights. The Blind Tiger was a belter of a venue until it closed due to noise complaints. Also seen some decent stuff at unusual venues ie St Bartholomews and Unitarian Church thanks to Great Escape. You need to get to The Old Market in Hove!

Edited by jyoung

1 minute ago, Guy Incognito said:

Green Door Store is definitely better than that. Also think Brighton Centre is pretty poor. 

I've only seen one gig there and it was pretty dead so may not be giving it a fair run, but the whole low concrete wall in the corner thing just made it all feel a bit...odd.  Although the location and history gives it some cool points.  Keeping an eye on the listings for something to watch.  I know @balti-pie is a fan as well.

Just now, jyoung said:

My formative years were spent getting sweaty in Concorde 2 - great place. The Dome is definitely top dog though. Patterns was Audio when I used to go to gigs there and I loved the low ceiling. The Haunt was alright but a proper sticky floor one! Green Door Store similar on that front. You need to get to The Old Market in Hove!

I was really surprised by the Dome.  Saw Bear's Den and First Aid Kit there and it was lovely stuff, so kind of thought it was just great for lower-key acts. Then saw IDLES and realised they could do sweaty as well :D

Keep forgetting to check the Market's listings.  Generally use the town search function on egigs and always forget to check Hove. Worth a visit I take it?

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

Really? They upgraded me and a pregnant Mrs J from standing to front row VIP seats directly in front of the stage. Can't knock that for service.

Ah, is that how you got round the pregnant Mrs Jass issue? Worked out well then! :D