Acts Touring Around Glastonbury 2020

Gnomicide

29 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

None of you really know true suffering untilyou’ve watched a gig at Bristol O2

Bristol O2 or Carling Academy as it was when I lived down there is absolutely fine, I raise you Edinburgh Corn Exchange as a truly awful venue for a gig, it's a big concrete shoe box that ensures only 50 people can see the stage.

10 hours ago, the wonderwhy said:

Definitive list of Manchester venues: 

God tier: Albert Hall, Yes (both rooms), Deaf Institute, Castle Hotel, Gullivers 
Good tier: Apollo, Ritz, Academy 2, Academy 3, Soup Kitchen, Night & Day, Band on the Wall,
Average tier: Gorilla, Arena, Academy 1, Club Academy, Castlefield Bowl
Shit tier: Victoria Warehouse, Bread Shed or whatever dumb new name it has at the time of writing

Pretty much spot on....

But I’m compelled to add The Met in Bury (It is in Greater Manchester after all. Manchester cultural venue of the year last two years, just saying).

Absolutely nothing to do with the fact I work there of course. 😃

For a 400 capacity upstairs, 100 downstairs, ain’t too shabby to have last weekend 4 sell out shows, two with Richard Hawley, one Turin Brakes. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, the wonderwhy said:

God tier: Albert Hall, Yes (both rooms), Deaf Institute, Castle Hotel, Gullivers 
Good tier: Apollo, Ritz, Academy 2, Academy 3, Soup Kitchen, Night & Day, Band on the Wall,
Shit tier: Victoria Warehouse, Bread Shed or whatever dumb new name it has at the time of writing

8 hours ago, priest17 said:

Gorilla's been done dirty there.

Yes a good effort but I'm not sure what Gorilla has done wrong!
I think I could put Club Academy on the same tier but behind Academy 3, then 2. It's all good apart from the pillar(s).

16 minutes ago, mcshed said:

Bristol O2 or Carling Academy as it was when I lived down there is absolutely fine, I raise you Edinburgh Corn Exchange as a truly awful venue for a gig, it's a big concrete shoe box that ensures only 50 people can see the stage.

Yeah the Corn Exchange is terrible, especially compared to the Usher Hall in Edinburgh which is the same size but is a really great venue. There's not really any other decent sized Edinburgh venues but thankfully most acts seem to avoid the Corn Exchange these days.

The old Birmingham Academy underneath Argos was brilliant, worked there for a couple of years and had a great time. Highlight was when Prodigy turned up with their own sound system that was designed for outdoor shows! We couldn’t turn any lights on the bars as this sound system took up all the power the building had! Ears were ringing for days after that.

The new Academy is shite.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, priest17 said:

Gorilla's been done dirty there.

25 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Yes a good effort but I'm not sure what Gorilla has done wrong!
I think I could put Club Academy on the same tier but behind Academy 3, then 2. It's all good apart from the pillar(s).

Gorilla looks great but when you factor in:

- they're constantly overselling it
- the location of the bar at the back is just stupid and it only sells naff beer
- the wifi never works
- the air con is stupidly loud it drowns out any quieter act (Phoebe Bridgers had no hope)

Its just an annoying place to go to a gig. I nearly put it in shite but its location and aesthetics save it a bit.  

18 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

Yeah the Corn Exchange is terrible, especially compared to the Usher Hall in Edinburgh which is the same size but is a really great venue. There's not really any other decent sized Edinburgh venues but thankfully most acts seem to avoid the Corn Exchange these days.

17 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Yeah it's truly woeful, buy I've probably only been there about 3 times in the last decade.

Edinburgh's a bit of a desert for live music.

The HMV Picture House was a bit of soulless chasm but I do miss it now it's gone. There are plans for an arena thing out at Station which would be a nightmare to get to for most people but I'd be able to walk back to Bonnyrigg so I'm keen.

4 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

- the location of the bar at the back is just stupid and it only sells naff beer
- the wifi never works
- the air con is stupidly loud it drowns out any quieter act (Phoebe Bridgers had no hope)

Its just an annoying place to go to a gig. I nearly put it in shite but its location and aesthetics save it a bit.  

- not sure I've been to a sold out gig there, I'll take your word for it
- the bar behind the stage? Yeah that's stupid. But what venue doesn't largely only sell naff beer?!
- shrug. I guess you might need it to find people if there's no signal either though...
- haven't been to a quiet gig either so again I'll take your word for it.

@kingcrawler @Gilgamesh69 @Brave Sir Robin @FakeEmpire the Angel Olsen show was great but its worth saying that it was quite a different prospect to the previous time I saw her live. Thanks to her voice and the band (including violin and cello) it sounded "big" but the whole approach and atmosphere is more introspective and stripped down. To the point where Shut Up Kiss Me kinda stood out like a sore thumb compared to the rest of the set (it still sounded great though). Also, she only played 13 songs so it was pretty short (about 1 hour 15 mins or so). Provided you're OK with those factors I'm sure you'll have a good time. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

- the wifi never works

I don't really feel like I've dealt with any of that but I guess that's just down to experience and what you're looking for. Seen some of my favourite gigs there so it'll always have a place in my heart. 

Really curious to see you do the same bullet point judging for all the venue's now but I won't make you do that (or make anyone else have to read that) ahah

24 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

- the wifi never works

Sorry, but I'm not having inadequate WiFi as a reason to downvote a gig venue.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, the wonderwhy said:

The soup kitchen's sound system isnt up to it in my opinion.

I'd move Gorilla & Castlefield Bowl up 1 & Soup Kitchen down 1.

Never been to Gullivers or Castle Hotel so can't comment. 

I agree with the rest.

The arena is hard to get right. The best use of it I have seen has been.... whisper it...... U2. (Shockingly good, in fact the best gig I have been to there since..... U2 in 2001)

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

Talk to people dammit!!

Festivals, yes. Gigs, sometimes but rarer.

Thing is that as a solo gig goer you are a bit of an outlier, which I'm absolutely fine with btw. Most people tend to go in groups, and naturally have conversations among themselves.  The short(ish) gap between sets and general setup doesn't generally offer the same opportunities for getting into conversation with strangers.

Not to say it doesn't happen as I've had some interesting chats, generally with other friendless weirdos like myself. But it's rarer at gigs. Although I have absolutely ended up dancing and singing along with complete strangers :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

The old Birmingham Academy underneath Argos was brilliant, worked there for a couple of years and had a great time. Highlight was when Prodigy turned up with their own sound system that was designed for outdoor shows! We couldn’t turn any lights on the bars as this sound system took up all the power the building had! Ears were ringing for days after that.

The new Academy is shite.

Around the time of Origin of Symmetry being out, Muse had a show on there with their army of fans queueing all day, my dad pulled up outside Argos to get me a lightsaber (I was about 7/8 at the time), Muse decide to pull up behind us and a swarm of blue haired followers engulfed our 90s Vauxhall, the aul' fella had no idea what the hell what was going on

1 hour ago, kingcrawler said:

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Yeah it's truly woeful, buy I've probably only been there about 3 times in the last decade.

Edinburgh's a bit of a desert for live music.

34 minutes ago, mcshed said:

The HMV Picture House was a bit of soulless chasm but I do miss it now it's gone. There are plans for an arena thing out at Station which would be a nightmare to get to for most people but I'd be able to walk back to Bonnyrigg so I'm keen.

Edinburgh is my home town though I haven't lived there since 96 but still have mates back there, 1 of whom is in a band (well a few bands actually) and he and other mates echo the above and say that Edinburgh is pretty poor for live music venues.

When I lived there I saw bands at the Playhouse (which I don't think really ever gets used for them any more), Queens Hall, Preservation Hall and the Venue (which has sadly closed down along with many other venues).  I used to go through to the Barrowlands a lot as a lot of bands missed Edinburgh off their tour dates.

37 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

@kingcrawler @Gilgamesh69 @Brave Sir Robin @FakeEmpire the Angel Olsen show was great but its worth saying that it was quite a different prospect to the previous time I saw her live. Thanks to her voice and the band (including violin and cello) it sounded "big" but the whole approach and atmosphere is more introspective and stripped down. To the point where Shut Up Kiss Me kinda stood out like a sore thumb compared to the rest of the set (it still sounded great though). Also, she only played 13 songs so it was pretty short (about 1 hour 15 mins or so). Provided you're OK with those factors I'm sure you'll have a good time. 

It's my first time seeing her so I'll take whatever comes!