Acts Touring Around Glastonbury 2020

Gnomicide

3 minutes ago, eastynh said:

I love the Albert Hall as well. Just got a lot of memories attached to the Apollo as it harks back to an era when the place was not choc full of gig venues, like it is now.

Without derailing the thread too much, there are plans for a 20K(ish) gig venue on the grounds around the Etihad. Think the owners of the arena are currently trying to put a feeble objection in.

A venue at the Etihad would be perfect for me as it is a 5 minute walk away,

As much as I hate the Manchester arena, it’s location on top of a railway station is very handy. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, dotdash79 said:

As much as I hate the Manchester arena, it’s location on top of a railway station is very handy. 

I know what you mean as I am 3 stops away on the tram.

Seen a lot of my fave bands at the arena and 20ish years ago when it was the Nynex, I was that inebriated that I did not really care about the sound.

These days though I recognise it for what it is, a soulless bowl with terrible sound. It is just a terrible place for a live gig. Birmingham and Leeds have far better arenas for live gigs, even if they are a little smaller. 

10 minutes ago, eastynh said:

I know what you mean as I am 3 stops away on the tram.

Seen a lot of my fave bands at the arena and 20ish years ago when it was the Nynex, I was that inebriated that I did not really care about the sound.

These days though I recognise it for what it is, a soulless bowl with terrible sound. It is just a terrible place for a live gig. Birmingham and Leeds have far better arenas for live gigs, even if they are a little smaller. 

Yea saying that the sound for the chemical brothers was really good in November. 

I think the issue is that the seats are so steep, and that it really was the first of the new generation arenas when it was built in the early 90s. I remember it being the old red star parcel depo sidings. 

30 minutes ago, eastynh said:

In fairness Leeds was developed specifically for music. Most arenas aren't so it's easy to see why the sound might be better. 

43 minutes ago, eastynh said:

I love the Albert Hall as well. Just got a lot of memories attached to the Apollo as it harks back to an era when the place was not choc full of gig venues, like it is now.

Without derailing the thread too much, there are plans for a 20K(ish) gig venue on the grounds around the Etihad. Think the owners of the arena are currently trying to put a feeble objection in.

A venue at the Etihad would be perfect for me as it is a 5 minute walk away,

Be good if they built that like the Leeds one. Only arena I actually quite like. 

1 hour ago, dotdash79 said:

Yea saying that the sound for the chemical brothers was really good in November. 

I think the issue is that the seats are so steep, and that it really was the first of the new generation arenas when it was built in the early 90s. I remember it being the old red star parcel depo sidings. 

I went to that Chems gig. Took ill after it, 2 weeks in hospital and still not right now 🤦‍♂️🙈😂.

Red Star, now that is a blast from the past. My family all lived up near the Rialto on Bury New Rd, so was constantly walking past that into town.

1 hour ago, the wonderwhy said:

Ritz is great but defo held back by being O2. The best venue in Manchester is objectively the Albert Hall. Pricey beer tho. 

The Albert Hall is amazing but my love for it is starting to wane. Its undeniably beautiful but its a drinkers nightmare from trying to get a beer, to paying for it, to disposing it from your body.

I don't have a lot of love for the Pink Room at YES but the basement has proven to be great. I love Soup Kitchen but Warmduscher there was ridiculous, they must have well oversold it. Bet Marc turns-up-5-mins-late Riley didn't buy a bloody ticket. I always liked Band On The Wall as there's some great places to drink round there when you've got an excuse to go up that way, interested what they come up with the extension that's planned.

I never liked the arena, compounded by selling chocolate pots there throughout uni, the last three gigs I've been to there have all been great though and I came away glad they were all there (Slipknot, Gods of Rap, Nick Cave).

2 hours ago, eastynh said:

There are some great venues in Manchester. The only crap ones are the arena and the Victoria Warehouse. The Ritz is ace now it has been renovated. 

The Apollo is my favourite.

When I moved down to Leeds from Scotland, Leeds wasn't the best for gigs (much better now) and I didn't have many mates that went to gigs in Leeds so I used to go to the Apollo a lot. Great venue and probably up there with Barrowlands as my favourite.

I've not been to the Ritz since it's been done up but am off to see BC Camplight there in November.

As I said Leeds is a lot better now. Especially like the Brudenell. Shame the Cockpit closed. 

Edited by dondo

3 hours ago, eastynh said:

There are some great venues in Manchester. The only crap ones are the arena and the Victoria Warehouse. The Ritz is ace now it has been renovated. 

The Apollo is my favourite.

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Apollo

Deaf Institiute

Night & Day

Bring back The International 2!

1 hour ago, eastynh said:

I went to that Chems gig. Took ill after it, 2 weeks in hospital and still not right now 🤦‍♂️🙈😂.

Red Star, now that is a blast from the past. My family all lived up near the Rialto on Bury New Rd, so was constantly walking past that into town.

Oh man hope you get better soon.

Bury New Road is a strange road up to Prestwich, so many cultures it's like a history of Manchester in 5 miles.

I used to go to the Academy loads, went back for idles in December and it's a lot smaller than I remember, Academy 3 must be like a shoe box.

Definitive list of Manchester venues: 

God tier: Albert Hall, Yes (both rooms), Deaf Institute, Castle Hotel, Gullivers 
Good tier: Apollo, Ritz, Academy 2, Academy 3, Soup Kitchen, Night & Day, Band on the Wall,
Average tier: Gorilla, Arena, Academy 1, Club Academy, Castlefield Bowl
Shit tier: Victoria Warehouse, Bread Shed or whatever dumb new name it has at the time of writing

4 minutes ago, Divein said:

As I’ve said many times The Apollo is a great venue but why is it so hard to get a pint? 

I don’t even bother drinking at the Apollo, last gig I went to was the prodigy. Almost missed it due to the clutch going in the car but the recovery driver dropped us at the gig then took my car back to my house. 

A work colleague once told me he saw green day at sankeys soap. Not sure what that would be like. 

1 hour ago, the wonderwhy said:

God tier: Albert Hall, Yes (both rooms), Deaf Institute, Castle Hotel, Gullivers 
Good tier: Apollo, Ritz, Academy 2, Academy 3, Soup Kitchen, Night & Day, Band on the Wall,
Shit tier: Victoria Warehouse, Bread Shed or whatever dumb new name it has at the time of writing

Gorilla's been done dirty there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, the wonderwhy said:

Damn! I wish I lived back in Manchester.

10 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

None of you really know true suffering untilyou’ve watched a gig at Bristol O2

As far as o2 academy venues go i think its probably one of the better ones. At least it is wide and not deep so you have a decent view from most parts. 

The worst type of venues are those that are narrow and long. Academies all have the shittest and most expensive drinks in the industry and they should be ashamed of their bar offering in the year 2020.

The worst venues are when the toilets are in the basement, such a nightmare.

Edited by Memory Man