Acts Touring Around Glastonbury 2020

Gnomicide

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

I was really surprised by the Dome.  Saw Bear's Den and First Aid Kit there and it was lovely stuff, so kind of thought it was just great for lower-key acts. Then saw IDLES and realised they could do sweaty as well :D

Keep forgetting to check the Market's listings.  Generally use the town search function on egigs and always forget to check Hove. Worth a visit I take it?

It's just a beautiful venue but yeah it is much more flexible than it seems. Great for folky stuff like Fleet Foxes but I've also been to some raucous Maccabees gigs there as well. Definitely get down to TOM if you can, some lovely pubs in Hove too.

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Really? They upgraded me and a pregnant Mrs J from standing to front row VIP seats directly in front of the stage. Can't knock that for service.

That's decent tbf, I just hate the venue. Giant conference room with awful acoustics. Been to several gigs there and never been impressed with the sound.

48 minutes ago, priest17 said:

If you're curious, Night People is awful, RNCM was really raw and interesting although there's not much leg room in the seats, Bridgewater Hall sounded amazing, bit fancy for me though.

I'm surprised for all the love of Castle Hotel. Its one of favourite pubs in town and I've seen some good gigs there but it doesn't register as an amazing venue for me. 

I had my graduation at Bridgewater Hall so will always raise a smile when I think of it. Went up, shook hands, got a mock certificate and then snook out the side door, where I then sat at the bar and got absolutely plastered while the rest of the engineering school went up to receive a blank piece of paper tied with a bow.

RNCM is a great venue. I went to see Johnny Marr do a talk in there.

Etihad is great (obviously)

Old Trafford (the real one) is great

Old Trafford (Football ground) is a shithole

Heaton Park is great

Maine Rd was far better than all the other outside venues.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, eastynh said:

I had my graduation at Bridgewater Hall so will always raise a smile when I think of it. Went up, shook hands, got a mock certificate and then snook out the side door, where I then sat at the bar and got absolutely plastered while the rest of the engineering school went up to receive a blank piece of paper tied with a bow.

RNCM is a great venue. I went to see Johnny Marr do a talk in there.

Heaton Park is great

Maine Rd was far better than all the other outside venues.

5A89FEA3-BE51-43CA-BEA5-AA31506FC50C.gif

Edited by lukethekid

Leeds venues:

God Tier - Brudenell Social Club (Main Room), Belgrave Music Hall

Good Tier - Wharf Chambers, Headrow House (if you're at the front, average if not),

Average Tier - Wardrobe (if you're at the front, below average to poor if not), o2 Academy (good production and sound, dreadful bar toilets security), Key Club

Below Average Tier - Brudenell (Games Room, just doesnt compare to main room, vibe feel soulless and the bolt-on that it is and a much less good bar offering. Annoying to enter and exit when busy), Arena

Shit Tier - Stylus

Beyond awful tier - Refectory

disclaimer: I always stand towards the front at gigs and can't understand anyone who doesnt.

Edited by Memory Man

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Obviously there are hundreds of venues in London, but as a flavour:

• God: The Roundhouse, Brixton Academy, Royal Albert Hall, APE (Victoria Park)
  • Good: Hammersmith Apollo, Ally Pally, Shepherds Bush Empire, Electric (Camden),
  • Average: The O2, Village Underground, Kentish Town Forum, Hackney Empire, The London Stadium
  • Shite: Wembley Stadium and Arena, Hyde Park

Brixton in God Tier, and Apollo below? That's grim

What do y'all think of Barbican Hall and Royal Festival Hall?

Can't believe no one mentioned the White Hotel as great Manchester venues.

18 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Not all football teams get given a stadium for nothing.

55 minutes ago, Quark said:

Still working my way around the venues around Brighton.  Only one I'm not a massive fan of so far is the Ropetackle Centre in Shoreham. Very odd venue for a gig, feels like a school hall. Of the ones I've done

Tier 1 - Brighton Dome Concert Hall, Concorde 2

Tier 2 - Patterns, Chalk (prev The Haunt), Prince Albert, The Hope

Tier 3 - Green Door Store, East Street Tap

Tier 4 - Ropetackle

Green Door is one of my favourites I'd move it up a tier and move Patterns down as it has a very awkward layout for live gigs. Had my first visit to Chalk last week, a massive improvement on the Haunt.

Others to note

Tier 2. Komedia, Komedia Studio, The Greys

Tier 3. The Arch (formerly Zap), Coalition, The Latest Music Bar

Tier 4. The Volks

Tier shit. Every other seafront club venue, the one I tried to watch Squid in during the Great Escape was awful.

1 minute ago, Divein said:

Can't believe no one mentioned the White Hotel as great Manchester venues.

Not all football teams get given a stadium for nothing.

If thats a dig at City, its a poor one as it seems you have no idea what you are talking about.

Old Trafford was paid for in full by a bloke called John Henry Davis after United had nearly gone bump and were rescued with City's help by Davis. It did not cost United a penny.

Old Trafford was then renovated out of public money after the second world war.

It was then renovated yet again out of public money in time for the 1966 world cup as United had run it down into a shithole (they have a habbit of doing that)

City did not get the Etihad for nothing. They had to give the council Maine Rd which was worth millions. They then had to pay 20million towards renovating it so it was fit for purpose. On top of that they paid for the recent renovation of the south stand. Also added to that is the fact the council received  20 million from the Etihad naming rights. Plus the millions it receives each year for the lease.

The council and local residents do very well out of the agreement with City. City have just spent more on a training complex across the road from the stadium, than the actual stadium costs. the only reason they don't build a brand new one is because the current agreement benefits everyone, not just City.

20 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

Leeds venues:

Good Tier - Wharf Chambers, Headrow House (if you're at the front, average if not),

Average Tier - Wardrobe (if you're at the front, below average to poor if not), o2 Academy (good production and sound, dreadful bar toilets security), Key Club

Below Average Tier - Brudenell (Games Room, just doesnt compare to main room, vibe feel soulless and the bolt-on that it is and a much less good bar offering. Annoying to enter and exit when busy), Arena

Shit Tier - Stylus

disclaimer: I always stand towards the front at gigs and can't understand anyone who doesnt.

If everyone stood at the front there wouldn't be space for you!

Where would you have put the Cockpit?

8 minutes ago, eastynh said:

If thats a dig at City, its a poor one as it seems you have no idea what you are talking about.

Old Trafford was paid for in full by a bloke called John Henry Davis after United had nearly gone bump and were rescued with City's help by Davis. It did not cost United a penny.

Old Trafford was then renovated out of public money after the second world war.

It was then renovated yet again out of public money in time for the 1966 world cup as United had run it down into a shithole (they have a habbit of doing that)

City did not get the Etihad for nothing. They had to give the council Maine Rd which was worth millions. They then had to pay 20million towards renovating it so it was fit for purpose. On top of that they paid for the recent renovation of the south stand. Also added to that is the fact the council received  20 million from the Etihad naming rights. Plus the millions it receives each year for the lease.

The council and local residents do very well out of the agreement with City. City have just spent more on a training complex across the road from the stadium, than the actual stadium costs. the only reason they don't build a brand new one is because the current agreement benefits everyone, not just City.

Haha, all the best mate. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Where would you have put the Cockpit?

Probably good tier. It had an awful bar but just had that type of atmosphere that always led to great gigs. Grotty but in a weirdly good way. The stage was really high up which meant you had a good view from everywhere.

in the original post i meant community room for brudenell (not games room)

Edited by Memory Man

28 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

Leeds venues:

Shit Tier - Stylus

Not been to all of the above but of the ones I have been to would agree with your categorising other than probably move Stylus up one but that's based on the 1 gig I have seen there.  Refectory is one of my least favourite venues full stop and am a bit gutted that the Inner City Electronic festival is putting stuff on there.  

The new room at the Brudenell at the back is excellent (is it called the community room or something)- saw British Sea Power there and was great so would put that in Good/God.  Also saw them at Leeds Irish Centre which is another good venue.

23 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

in the original post i meant community room for brudenell (not games room)

In my post I thought community room was great!

Meant to also say that not a big fan of the Leeds Met/Beckett venue. Seen some good bands there but don't like the venue. 

50 minutes ago, Hotchilidog said:

Green Door is one of my favourites I'd move it up a tier and move Patterns down as it has a very awkward layout for live gigs. Had my first visit to Chalk last week, a massive improvement on the Haunt.

Others to note

Tier 2. Komedia, Komedia Studio, The Greys

Tier 3. The Arch (formerly Zap), Coalition, The Latest Music Bar

Tier 4. The Volks

Tier shit. Every other seafront club venue, the one I tried to watch Squid in during the Great Escape was awful.

I quite like the Patterns set up myself and definitely need to give GDS another go.

Been to Komedia for stand up but not music yet.

Trouble is that because I don't live in Brighton I'm probably less in step with what's going on with the smaller venues, so just haven't had call to go to them yet.  Be keeping eyes open for some of these now though

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Saw the National at the Brighton Centre just before Christmas and thought the venue was ace.

Was also at this gig and agree - I thought it was a decent venue.   My first visit there (& to Brighton actually) and was impressed by most of it.  Easy to get a good, comfortable spot in sold out standing area, good sightlines, good sound, bar queues well organised & fast moving.  No complaints here.

8 minutes ago, Fish Bulb said:

At this risk of sounding like the Forum police, should this be it's own thread? It's definitely interesting enough to be one.

Also, can someone do Birmingham so I can disagree with them please? 

There's lots I haven't done but I will go with:

God Tier - None

Good - Hare & Hounds, Digbeth Arena, The Sunflower Lounge

Average - O2 Institute, Birmingham Arena, Resorts World Arena, Mama Roux's, Symphony Hall

Terrible - O2 Academy

2 minutes ago, FakeEmpire said:

There's lots I haven't done but I will go with:

God Tier - None

Good - Hare & Hounds, Digbeth Arena, The Sunflower Lounge

Average - O2 Institute, Birmingham Arena, Resorts World Arena, Mama Roux's, Symphony Hall

Terrible - O2 Academy

Castle & Falcon (old Ceol Castle) is also decent, but it is tiny, so does it count?

I'm going to a gig at St Paul's Church in a couple of weeks. Surely that, by definition, is God Tier?

1 hour ago, Memory Man said:

Leeds venues:

Shit Tier - Stylus

I think the first direct arena is actually pretty good. Unless you're in like the back row in tye top tier then you feel about 4 miles from the stage.

No matter where you're stood you get a pretty good view and all facilities are spot on, bars, toilets etc.