Acts Touring Around Glastonbury 2020

Gnomicide

11 minutes ago, eastynh said:

La Roux surprisingly low on that line up. Would definitely like to see her at Glasto. 

JP afternoon slot?

Her long gap between albums has fucked any chance of her climbing further up lineups as people keep forgetting she even exists or that she's still an active musician. Think she did JP last time but would probably stick her there again if she were to play as I don't think she has the pull for any bigger stage anymore, but maybe I'm underestimating her. Maybe low Other? I'unno.

12 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Never been to Truck but always fancied it, however and I’m not sure whether it’s just me but it feels the policy has shifted in the last year or two from something more discerning and curated to just chasing the same lad pound that a dozen other festivals are after. A shame in my opinion.

DVIFBuxVMAA2KBZ.jpg

Edited by Supernintendo Chalmers
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Never been to Truck but always fancied it, however and I’m not sure whether it’s just me but it feels the policy has shifted in the last year or two from something more discerning and curated to just chasing the same lad pound that a dozen other festivals are after. A shame in my opinion.

I agree. There's a group of mid-sized festivals scattered around the country that seem to recycle the same names between them. Y-Not, Truck, Victorious, Standon Calling, Tramlines, Neighbourhood, Kendall Calling, etc. It is a shame, I'm always on the lookout for smaller festivals to squeeze in between the larger ones, but they have to be a little bit unique (lineup, location, theme) these days for me to part with my cash

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I agree. There's a group of mid-sized festivals scattered around the country that seem to recycle the same names between them. Y-Not, Truck, Victorious, Standon Calling, Tramlines, Neighbourhood, Kendall Calling, etc. It is a shame, I'm always on the lookout for smaller festivals to squeeze in between the larger ones, but they have to be a little bit unique (lineup, location, theme) these days for me to part with my cash

Maybe Bigfoot? https://bigfootfestival.co.uk/

A few of my group are seriously considering it, but also weighing that against the fact that it's literally the weekend before Glastonbury... 

3 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

The sad thing is, some of those festivals started off on the right track and slowly morphed in to every other festival. 

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Truck definitely feels like this. Wish I went 5-10 years ago.

The last Y-Not I went to felt completely different from the first couple. In the early days it had a similar spirit to Glastonbury - very similar to Avalon. Kudos to them for expanding it to such a degree but for me it's completely lost its personality.

All that being said, Snoop Dogg playing my home town and talking about "all the ladies in Matlock" was just bonkers.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Don’t really see the problem. This services a lot of people who have been disenfranchised by Reading and Leeds turning more to rap and stuff like T and V dying.

Just go to festivals that do appeal to you and let people have their fun.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Don’t really see the problem. This services a lot of people who have been disenfranchised by Reading and Leeds turning more to rap and stuff like T and V dying.

Just go to festivals that do appeal to you and let people have their fun.

You kind of missed my point. I didn't criticise those who attend and I am by far the fun police. I'm just suggesting that it may be a problem when people get bored of the same bills every year. Maybe the current business model is to attract people from their respective catchment area? Punters might not fancy making long journeys to larger events when there are great acts on their doorstep. Geographical location could still be the determining factor. But, unless they create some kind of USP, one or more of these mid-sized organisations may find themselves struggling in a clearly oversaturated market. Maybe Kendall's uniqueness is in its location? It's a beautiful part of the world. The others I fear for, unless they mix it up a bit.

2 hours ago, jparx said:

The last Y-Not I went to felt completely different from the first couple. In the early days it had a similar spirit to Glastonbury - very similar to Avalon. Kudos to them for expanding it to such a degree but for me it's completely lost its personality.

All that being said, Snoop Dogg playing my home town and talking about "all the ladies in Matlock" was just bonkers.

maaaaaaaaaaatlooock

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

You kind of missed my point. I didn't criticise those who attend and I am by far the fun police. I'm just suggesting that it may be a problem when people get bored of the same bills every year. Maybe the current business model is to attract people from their respective catchment area? Punters might not fancy making long journeys to larger events when there are great acts on their doorstep. Geographical location could still be the determining factor. But, unless they create some kind of USP, one or more of these mid-sized organisations may find themselves struggling in a clearly oversaturated market. Maybe Kendall's uniqueness is in its location? It's a beautiful part of the world. The others I fear for, unless they mix it up a bit.

So you see no difference between them apart from the location? None of them jump out more than the others? To me, Kendal skews older, Victorious has more of a pop bent, Truck has some heavier stuff, Y Not and Tramlines exist somewhere between those.

They clearly haven’t changed things up for no reason, they’re putting forward things that play better. Tbh I’m not even so sure what they’ve done that is remarkably different; Y Not in 2013 was topped by The Horrors, The Cribs, The Darkness, The Enemy, Ash and Mystery Jets. Just the same but bigger now.