Jump to content

Green Man 2020


JHad
 Share

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Sure, but asking someone to hold off getting rid of their ticket until January so it helps the festival isn’t really reasonable.

I wasn't really thinking January, more the flood of people who in the weeks leading up to the festival suddenly decide they need a ticket, but I don't know if a company like Ticketline would be willing to refund half a booking.

In other news, interesting that EOTR has already confirmed six of this year's top seven, including three US acts, for 2021.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Sure, but asking someone to hold off getting rid of their ticket until January so it helps the festival isn’t really reasonable.

It's reasonable if you can afford it. But for the majority of people fronting a festival that you can't go to 200 quid is a big ask

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Saw a Quietus article from 3 days ago, about Bright Eyes.

 

"The band recently pulled a series of planned tour dates for 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic, but have been confirmed to play next year's Green Man, which will take place from August 19 to 22, 2021."

 

Must be a mistake, right?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Saw a Quietus article from 3 days ago, about Bright Eyes.

 

"The band recently pulled a series of planned tour dates for 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic, but have been confirmed to play next year's Green Man, which will take place from August 19 to 22, 2021."

 

Must be a mistake, right?

I'm with you. Should be EotR not GM shouldn't it? I can't see them doing both. Their London date has been rescheduled for the EotR weekend in 2021 too, which also seems to point that direction.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, JHad said:

I'm with you. Should be EotR not GM shouldn't it? I can't see them doing both. Their London date has been rescheduled for the EotR weekend in 2021 too, which also seems to point that direction.

I can't see anyone else referring to them playing GM 2021, so it wasn't on a press release or anything similar and sounds to me like they've taken a guess at which festival they were playing this year and not checked.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gutted about 2020 but really pleased that all 6 in our group is holding on to tickets for 2021.  The festival might be up against it so I would take a one off £20 and you can set up camp the day before, or pre-purchase your festival t-shirt etc etc.  I’ve see other festivals doing similar.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/30/2020 at 11:11 AM, Gilgamesh69 said:

Saw a Quietus article from 3 days ago, about Bright Eyes.

 

"The band recently pulled a series of planned tour dates for 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic, but have been confirmed to play next year's Green Man, which will take place from August 19 to 22, 2021."

 

Must be a mistake, right?

Don't get my hopes up like this!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Is Phoebe headliner sized yet? Thought she was just a strong sub 

 

But damn I'd sign that petition in a heartbeat lol

Who knows right now? She wouldn't have been in either of those positions before this album. Can't really gauge what kind of slots she'll play until live music resumes but she's had a bump with this record so maybe.

Edited by dentalplan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Is Phoebe headliner sized yet? Thought she was just a strong sub

 

No.6 in the new album chart, loads of press and positive word of mouth - in normal circumstances I would imagine GM and EOTR would completely be in contention for her to headline next year.

 

As for actual 2021 GM, though, I imagine they'll be trying to retain as much of this year's lineup as possible in the same way as EOTR have already announced three of the four 2020 headliners, the one everybody thought were going to headline and three of the bigger other names.

Edited by SweepingTheNation
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/19/2020 at 10:50 AM, lessthanwill1 said:

Thought some people here might be interested in this if they’re Midlands based.

 

F2F2E02E-694B-4787-8916-2B629B15CC84.jpeg

£22.50 for this looks blinding value! BUT....will it go ahead?

 

ALSO....due to having a child who will start school next year, we cant go to EOTR next year. So, having got a refund, we were gonna buy tickets for this instead. 

Anyone have any idea when (if?) tickets will be back on sale?

Edited by retromoz
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, retromoz said:

£22.50 for this looks blinding value! BUT....will it go ahead?

 

ALSO....due to having a child who will start school next year, we cant go to EOTR next year. So, having got a refund, we were gonna buy tickets for this instead. 

Anyone have any idea when (if?) tickets will be back on sale?

February looks very ambitious (sadly) and presumably will be hampered further by being during the winter spike.

Very worrying time for venues.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/28/2020 at 6:33 PM, Gilgamesh69 said:

Is Phoebe headliner sized yet? Thought she was just a strong sub 

 

But damn I'd sign that petition in a heartbeat lol

Will be interesting to see what venues she plays when she next tours. Potentially Brixton academy/Hammersmith Apollo!? 

Also can we start the Sufjan Stevens rumours now given the news of the new album this year. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

90% on Metacritic, number six in the album chart, featured practically everywhere, would currently have been prime support on a major world tour in normal circumstances, even Radio 1 playlisted at the moment. There is no way Bridgers isn't a massive deal in the context of where she'd play on a 10k capacity specialist festival, especially if the only argument otherwise is "she's below King Gizzard on an announcement made in December".

Although again, this is all speculative as I really doubt GM are going to make any huge new headliner announcements for 2021, if 2021 happens given they're already casting for a fundraiser.

Edited by SweepingTheNation
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

90% on Metacritic, number six in the album chart, featured practically everywhere, would currently have been prime support on a major world tour in normal circumstances, even Radio 1 playlisted at the moment. There is no way Bridgers isn't a massive deal in the context of where she'd play on a 10k capacity specialist festival, especially if the only argument otherwise is "she's below King Gizzard on an announcement made in December".

Although again, this is all speculative as I really doubt GM are going to make any huge new headliner announcements for 2021, if 2021 happens given they're already casting for a fundraiser.

Well that is a pretty decent slot she's got there at Latitude, I imagine it was with the prospect of a new album in mind. The poster was just a way of unspeculatively saying that she isn't as big as King Gizzard, and I would say nor is she as big as they were when they headlined.

Don't even get why people are still going after the King Gizzard booking - it was after they'd played Brixton which they sold out in one morning and before they sold out Ally Pally. Why not go after the Yo La Tengo booking now? Or Laura Marling.

I believe Idles got higher in the charts before they played second stage at this fest and were also Radio 1 playlisted. She's doing well and the album is phenomenal but I think folk are getting carried away and that she'd be third maybe second down the Mountain right now. Which is still decent, if it's good enough for like Eels and Sharon Van Etten. It would be kind of uncharacteristic of Green Man to launch an act to headline status so early in their career.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

King Gizzard were way bigger when they headlined. They were riding the crest of a wave at the time and had also put on a stunning set in the Far Out 2 years before. They've released some less well received stuff since but back then they were on top form. 

Phoebe Bridgers is good and all, but really don't see her as a headliner until another album is out. Even playing all the songs from both albums would leave her half an hour shy of filling a 2 hour slot!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, benali said:

King Gizzard were way bigger when they headlined. They were riding the crest of a wave at the time and had also put on a stunning set in the Far Out 2 years before. They've released some less well received stuff since but back then they were on top form. 

Phoebe Bridgers is good and all, but really don't see her as a headliner until another album is out. Even playing all the songs from both albums would leave her half an hour shy of filling a 2 hour slot!

Whether she is good or not (and IMO she is good but not yet great), for my money she doesn't have the stage presence or gravitas yet (with mostly that not being her fault but a function of her young age), nor is her music yet varied or her body of work sufficiently developed to justify a Headline slot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...