Jump to content
JHad

Green Man 2020

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, dpdp said:

Michael Kiwanuka is headlining Sunday night, according to his website.

Oh nice spot! I thought about looking up all that stuff but decided against it as festival dates on artists’ websites are often either the first date or all the dates of the festival so it’s not that helpful. 

Looks like he’ll be the Sunday headliner though in that case! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Hoping that this is one of the safer festivals? As it's toward the end of the season...

Fingers crossed. Imagine a fair few foreign bands will pull out but if that means no Mac demarco I'm happy with that 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, rug568 said:

Fingers crossed. Imagine a fair few foreign bands will pull out but if that means no Mac demarco I'm happy with that 

Lol that would be some silver lining!

At this point I’d be so grateful to get there that I wouldn’t mind whose playing! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm clinging on the fact that there will be a lot of amazing gigs when all this is over.

Boris has really thrown the venues and promoters under a bus today by telling people to stay at home but then not ordering them to actually close. 

If that instruction carries on much longer then a lot of them could go bust and that could have a catastrophic effect on the industry.

I went to a small gig this evening. About 50 people showed up, but many more tickets had been sold. We have a load of stuff booked over the next couple of months but I can't see any of it going ahead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, benali said:

I'm clinging on the fact that there will be a lot of amazing gigs when all this is over.

Boris has really thrown the venues and promoters under a bus today by telling people to stay at home but then not ordering them to actually close. 

If that instruction carries on much longer then a lot of them could go bust and that could have a catastrophic effect on the industry.

I went to a small gig this evening. About 50 people showed up, but many more tickets had been sold. We have a load of stuff booked over the next couple of months but I can't see any of it going ahead.

This! I work for a sizeable national promoters; to say that this announcement is a deeply concerning kick in the teeth would be an understatement. A lot of fear going round internally at the moment. Going to be hard to reschedule gigs in venues that have shut down etc.. Don't want to comment more as events are moving rapidly but if we stay on this trajectory then the results for the live sector could be gargantuan. 

 

Scary times we live in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice move by the chancellor to say pubs, bars etc don't have to pay business rates for the next year. He's seemingly far more competent and assured than his idiot boss. Probably because he's a Southampton fan, all the best people are!

Even people not from this city here have heard of The Joiners. They've started a GoFundMe to raise money to keep them going, over 50% of the way to their target in half a day. 

https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-us-survive-corona-virus

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

God I really hope Glastonbury’s cancellation doesn’t trigger a domino effect.

Hopefully GM’s dates and comparably smaller size means there’s some hope left. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd assume it wouldnt need as MUCH of an infrastructure putting in place that the behemoth of glasters. Other than that......I keep reading conflicting reports that this will end in June. Or October. Then begin again in November. Or June 2021. There wont be a vaccine till then. Or March 2021. Or, according to the EU, maybe Autumn this year!

Basically, no one knows. Prepare for the worst but hope for the best, i guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lessthanwill1 said:

God I really hope Glastonbury’s cancellation doesn’t trigger a domino effect.

I think it probably will. :( 

I think smaller fests will have looked at them and thought "if they can push on so can we". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I think it probably will. :( 

I think smaller fests will have looked at them and thought "if they can push on so can we". 

Agree. Glastonbury will have a trigger effect on the May/June festivals for sure.

Green Man however is some two months later than Glastonbury. So there remains hope. Green Man is also so much less challenging to organise (but still challenging!)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, xxialac said:

Agree. Glastonbury will have a trigger effect on the May/June festivals for sure.

Green Man however is some two months later than Glastonbury. So there remains hope. Green Man is also so much less challenging to organise (but still challenging!)

 

yeah, I can see Aug/September festies holding out for longer, but I reckon within a couple of weeks we're going to see most of the festies to the end of july getting cancelled.

Just my opinion, of course - but i think it's getting harder each day for people to convince themselves that this will be over quickly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, eFestivals said:

yeah, I can see Aug/September festies holding out for longer, but I reckon within a couple of weeks we're going to see most of the festies to the end of july getting cancelled.

Just my opinion, of course - but i think it's getting harder each day for people to convince themselves that this will be over quickly.

Yeah, totally agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glastonbury is different by its nature, though, as was laid out in the Eavis' message - it may well be that things will have improved enough by that weekend, but they'd have had to start work on the site before the end of this month.

Meanwhile...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PresentlyTense said:

Do we think they will just hold off on the announcement now?

 

Difficult to know isn’t it. I guess a lot of acts - particularly the non-UK ones - will be considering whether or not to cancel their tours. I imagine GM wouldn’t want to release the next announcement only for lots of those acts to pull out. 

Selfishly I want them to announce it ASAP just because I’d love to know who they’ve booked!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

now sold out

God I thought you'd posted to say it was cancelled. Don't need that kind of stress in my life

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

now sold out

Wonder if this is due to all the early summer festivals cancelling and people looking for a later alternative. Does it usually sell out this early? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Wonder if this is due to all the early summer festivals cancelling and people looking for a later alternative. Does it usually sell out this early? 

It’s selling out faster each year but this is a record.

It was very close to selling out at the beginning of March before Coronavirus took a hold of everything actually. I think it would have sold out even faster had it not been for the virus’ escalation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But the question is: why? The lineup is far from bad but I feel like there aren't many big draws this year, like Idles last year.

Perhaps it's starting to become like Glastonbury, in that it's developing a  dedicated following who will go regardless of who's playing, because they know it's just a great place?

 

 

Edited by Gilgamesh69

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

But the question is: why? The lineup is far from bad but I feel like there aren't many big draws this year, like Idles last year.

Perhaps it's starting to become like Glastonbury, in that it's developing a  dedicated following who will go regardless of who's playing, because they know it's just a great place?

 

 

Yep exactly that I think. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed.  I became a GM convert a few years ago and thought: "This is like many of the good bits of Glastonbury but without the hassle."

That said, in future years I'll still be trying for Glastonbury too but GM has got a lot of things right.  Many of the bands have been unknown to me but have turned out to be very good.  I think the GM bookers know their music well.  And the location and atmosphere is lovely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...