Jump to content

Green Man 2020


Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, Oceansky said:

I've been to primavera and would love to go again. The lineup is consistently incredible year after year. I didn't get the same feeling of escapism that I get from greenman though, which left me feeling a little disappointed. I think the sheer size of the thing coupled with the fact that you don't sleep on site takes some of the magic away. 

A great festival with similar lineup to Primavera is Best Kept Secret Festival in the Netherlands. Headliners this year are The National, Massive Attack and The Stokes. The site is amazing with built in safari Park. Man-made beaches over looking a giant lake Great for an early morning swim. Went last year and wish I could afford to go this year The Dutch are so friendly and the food was great too. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Green Man Festival 2020 Playlist. This is still a work in progress. The idea is I include my three favourite songs of each act.  It's ordered in terms of my personal preference but I've also

Looks awful. That pub by the bridge - The Bridge End I think - was badly flooded not that long ago as well.  Important for GM attendees to visit the town during the festival and spend a bit of mo

Please god no not Mac demarco 

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, eagles69 said:

A great festival with similar lineup to Primavera is Best Kept Secret Festival in the Netherlands. Headliners this year are The National, Massive Attack and The Stokes. The site is amazing with built in safari Park. Man-made beaches over looking a giant lake Great for an early morning swim. Went last year and wish I could afford to go this year The Dutch are so friendly and the food was great too. 

Thanks for the recommendation. Best Kept Secret does look great. Same story here, funds won't allow this year. Definitely consider it in the future though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, eagles69 said:

A great festival with similar lineup to Primavera is Best Kept Secret Festival in the Netherlands. Headliners this year are The National, Massive Attack and The Stokes. The site is amazing with built in safari Park. Man-made beaches over looking a giant lake Great for an early morning swim. Went last year and wish I could afford to go this year The Dutch are so friendly and the food was great too. 

+1 for BKS. We went in 2014, which I think was their second year (?). As poor, but time-rich students we ended up cycling there (not the sort of thing we'd ever done before) to save money and filmed our trip for the organisers. Got to spend an afternoon backstage with their main team (and Pete Doherty among others) whilst they decided my camera-work was shite and sent us on our way with more beers and enough food credit to see us through the weekend!

Tickets aren't too expensive, the food's great, the setting is perfect and the lineups are bang on - we saw James Blake, Pixies, Interpol, Caribou, Midlake, Franz Ferdinand, The War on Drugs, Nils Frahm, Mogwai, Wild Beasts, Slowdive, Metronomy, Belle & Sebastian, Elbow, Lykke Li, Fat White Family, Young Fathers etc packed into 3 days and there were tonnes of more pop and dance acts too and a decent undercard which I'd be way more into these days. 

It's also close to the Belgian border, so pro-tip: book Eurostar to anywhere in Belgium (£5 more than Brussels and gives you access to the whole country for 24 hours) as far out as possible and you can get from London to the border for £39 each way. Then local transport to Tilburg for the shuttle to site. We're considering going back this year, but waiting for others to announce before commiting. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2020 at 7:11 PM, raikeswood said:

Someone on the EOTR forum wanted to know about the differences between GM and EOTR, so I knocked this up in a bit of a hurry. I'm posting here too, for discussion.

OK, here goes, a quick personal EOTR/GM comparison as someone who goes to both festivals. 

  • Surroundings, ...

This is a brilliant list, and I agree with every result. All I'd add - and I'm surprised it doesn't come up more often (and, actually, kinda surprised it's a thing in the first place) is that EOTR has at least one more stage than GM!

Discounting Rising (perhaps unfairly, but on the basis that it's not 'open' in the sense of 'anyone could in theory play there'), GM only has Mountain, WG and Far Out... EOTR has Woods, Garden, Big Top, Tipi and Piano.

I love GM and go each year, but that can feel a bit short in terms of sheer kid-in-a-sweetshop interest...

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/24/2020 at 9:24 AM, lessthanwill1 said:

I’ve been listening to a lot of Dan Deacon recently. Very excited for the new album next week. Really hope he plays GM this year (he’s played before). Hopefully headlining the Walled Garden.

Must be! Highlight of 2018 for me.

I caught Dan Deacon on the Thursday back when St Vincent and SFA headlined the fest. He was great.  Phoebe Bridgers was brilliant in 2018. Loved how many of the artists stuck around that year to watch each other (Snail Mail, Lucy Dacus, Frankie Cosmos, Haley Henderickx). My favourite Walled Garden line up!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Happyboypricey said:

I caught Dan Deacon on the Thursday back when St Vincent and SFA headlined the fest. He was great.  Phoebe Bridgers was brilliant in 2018. Loved how many of the artists stuck around that year to watch each other (Snail Mail, Lucy Dacus, Frankie Cosmos, Haley Henderickx). My favourite Walled Garden line up!

Good to know about Dan Deacon. I haven’t see him before but his sets look like a lot of fun!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/24/2020 at 4:11 PM, lessthanwill1 said:

What about Jesus and Mary Chain performing Darklands in full?

Playing in Glasgow on Friday 14 August at that Kelvingrove Bandstand event in Glasgow. FJM did it last year before headlining GM, as did Fleet Foxes in 2018. 

Reckon they’d be bang on for Thursday night 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Jetshymotion said:

This is a brilliant list, and I agree with every result. All I'd add - and I'm surprised it doesn't come up more often (and, actually, kinda surprised it's a thing in the first place) is that EOTR has at least one more stage than GM!

Discounting Rising (perhaps unfairly, but on the basis that it's not 'open' in the sense of 'anyone could in theory play there'), GM only has Mountain, WG and Far Out... EOTR has Woods, Garden, Big Top, Tipi and Piano.

I love GM and go each year, but that can feel a bit short in terms of sheer kid-in-a-sweetshop interest...

Thanks for your kind words.

However, to be fair, GM has Rising Stage (not sure I understand your discounting) and Chai Wallahs, so arguably it has more stages.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, raikeswood said:

Thanks for your kind words.

However, to be fair, GM has Rising Stage (not sure I understand your discounting) and Chai Wallahs, so arguably it has more stages.

Not more. 
Both have 5 under your system.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Really enjoying the new BC Camplight single. Must be a sure bet for GM - not sure why I didn’t have him down in my prediction! 

I'm really hoping he'll be there - and if he is, he'll probably be top of my list to see.  Fingers crossed!

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, BrighterNow said:

I'm really hoping he'll be there - and if he is, he'll probably be top of my list to see.  Fingers crossed!

I’m seeing him on Tues eve as part of IVW at Guildford Boiler Room - hoping to hear a few tracks off the new album 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2020 at 9:40 PM, raikeswood said:

Thanks for your kind words.

However, to be fair, GM has Rising Stage (not sure I understand your discounting) and Chai Wallahs, so arguably it has more stages.

Hey no problem! To explain...

I was discounting Rising on the basis that it is reserved for 'new' acts (although I'm not sure how that's defined)?

Chai Wallahs I did forget about, actually  - although, again, it is somewhat niche, and they also aim to put on 'less established' (their words) acts.

I guess you might equally say that GM does more for new acts than EOTR, which is great, but I think my point was simply that GM only has 3 stages where the top 80/90% of the bill can play; EOTR has 4 - and lots of those higher up the EOTR bill will also do bits on the Piano stage, too... (so arguably 5).

Not slagging off GM, or Rising / Chai Wallahs by any means - it's just always struck me as a strangely overlooked yet substantial distinction given how similarly both festivals are thought of (including by me!).

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I say this as a big EOTR fan but I think the number of stages is pretty much equivalent.

Yes, EOTR has the piano stage but almost all names who played there last year were very small names or new bands. And they don't really play proper sets there. And also GM had something similar in the signing tent where I saw Liminanas do an amazing intimate set last year. 

 

Tipi has better bands than Rising admittedly but both feature new bands reasonably heavily.

So I'd say it's very even on the number of stages front. EOTR slightly ahead but not a 'substantial distinction' for me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2020 at 1:47 PM, mario man said:

I’m seeing him on Tues eve as part of IVW at Guildford Boiler Room - hoping to hear a few tracks off the new album 

Enjoy!  I'm jealous - not seen him live (yet - hopefully will be rectified this year).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...