Green Man 2020

4 hours ago, dpdp said:

Michael Kiwanuka is headlining Sunday night, according to his website.

Oh nice spot! I thought about looking up all that stuff but decided against it as festival dates on artists’ websites are often either the first date or all the dates of the festival so it’s not that helpful. 

Looks like he’ll be the Sunday headliner though in that case! 

I'm clinging on the fact that there will be a lot of amazing gigs when all this is over.

Boris has really thrown the venues and promoters under a bus today by telling people to stay at home but then not ordering them to actually close. 

If that instruction carries on much longer then a lot of them could go bust and that could have a catastrophic effect on the industry.

I went to a small gig this evening. About 50 people showed up, but many more tickets had been sold. We have a load of stuff booked over the next couple of months but I can't see any of it going ahead.

12 minutes ago, benali said:

I'm clinging on the fact that there will be a lot of amazing gigs when all this is over.

Boris has really thrown the venues and promoters under a bus today by telling people to stay at home but then not ordering them to actually close. 

If that instruction carries on much longer then a lot of them could go bust and that could have a catastrophic effect on the industry.

I went to a small gig this evening. About 50 people showed up, but many more tickets had been sold. We have a load of stuff booked over the next couple of months but I can't see any of it going ahead.

This! I work for a sizeable national promoters; to say that this announcement is a deeply concerning kick in the teeth would be an understatement. A lot of fear going round internally at the moment. Going to be hard to reschedule gigs in venues that have shut down etc.. Don't want to comment more as events are moving rapidly but if we stay on this trajectory then the results for the live sector could be gargantuan. 

Scary times we live in. 

Nice move by the chancellor to say pubs, bars etc don't have to pay business rates for the next year. He's seemingly far more competent and assured than his idiot boss. Probably because he's a Southampton fan, all the best people are!

Even people not from this city here have heard of The Joiners. They've started a GoFundMe to raise money to keep them going, over 50% of the way to their target in half a day. 

https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-us-survive-corona-virus

• Upvote 1

I'd assume it wouldnt need as MUCH of an infrastructure putting in place that the behemoth of glasters. Other than that......I keep reading conflicting reports that this will end in June. Or October. Then begin again in November. Or June 2021. There wont be a vaccine till then. Or March 2021. Or, according to the EU, maybe Autumn this year!

Basically, no one knows. Prepare for the worst but hope for the best, i guess.

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I think it probably will. :( 

I think smaller fests will have looked at them and thought "if they can push on so can we". 

Agree. Glastonbury will have a trigger effect on the May/June festivals for sure.

Green Man however is some two months later than Glastonbury. So there remains hope. Green Man is also so much less challenging to organise (but still challenging!)

Just now, xxialac said:

Agree. Glastonbury will have a trigger effect on the May/June festivals for sure.

Green Man however is some two months later than Glastonbury. So there remains hope. Green Man is also so much less challenging to organise (but still challenging!)

yeah, I can see Aug/September festies holding out for longer, but I reckon within a couple of weeks we're going to see most of the festies to the end of july getting cancelled.

Just my opinion, of course - but i think it's getting harder each day for people to convince themselves that this will be over quickly.

Just now, eFestivals said:

yeah, I can see Aug/September festies holding out for longer, but I reckon within a couple of weeks we're going to see most of the festies to the end of july getting cancelled.

Just my opinion, of course - but i think it's getting harder each day for people to convince themselves that this will be over quickly.

Yeah, totally agree.

2 hours ago, PresentlyTense said:

Do we think they will just hold off on the announcement now?

Difficult to know isn’t it. I guess a lot of acts - particularly the non-UK ones - will be considering whether or not to cancel their tours. I imagine GM wouldn’t want to release the next announcement only for lots of those acts to pull out. 

Selfishly I want them to announce it ASAP just because I’d love to know who they’ve booked!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Wonder if this is due to all the early summer festivals cancelling and people looking for a later alternative. Does it usually sell out this early? 

It’s selling out faster each year but this is a record.

It was very close to selling out at the beginning of March before Coronavirus took a hold of everything actually. I think it would have sold out even faster had it not been for the virus’ escalation. 

But the question is: why? The lineup is far from bad but I feel like there aren't many big draws this year, like Idles last year.

Perhaps it's starting to become like Glastonbury, in that it's developing a  dedicated following who will go regardless of who's playing, because they know it's just a great place?

Edited by Gilgamesh69

15 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

But the question is: why? The lineup is far from bad but I feel like there aren't many big draws this year, like Idles last year.

Perhaps it's starting to become like Glastonbury, in that it's developing a  dedicated following who will go regardless of who's playing, because they know it's just a great place?

Yep exactly that I think. 

Agreed.  I became a GM convert a few years ago and thought: "This is like many of the good bits of Glastonbury but without the hassle."

That said, in future years I'll still be trying for Glastonbury too but GM has got a lot of things right.  Many of the bands have been unknown to me but have turned out to be very good.  I think the GM bookers know their music well.  And the location and atmosphere is lovely.