Green Man 2020

On 1/29/2020 at 8:59 PM, lessthanwill1 said:

Green Man Festival 2020 Playlist.

This is still a work in progress. The idea is I include my three favourite songs of each act. 

It's ordered in terms of my personal preference but I've also tried to make sure each artist is quite varied from the last one so that if you're listening in order it stays quite varied musically. If there's only one song, then it's because I haven't found three I like yet (unless they only have one or two songs on spotify, which is the case for a few!). 

I'll keep updating it as I listen to more of the acts and as more are announced. 

Just listening to your playlist. 

Tidy!

Thanks very much for doing this - totally appreciated!

Cheers. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Anyone know anything about the band called Caroline? Can’t find anything online about them beyond a similar description to the one on GM’s page - but the description sounds like something I’m going to really like.

https://www.greenman.net/artists/caroline

There's a link on that page that leads to a Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/carolinetheband/

Doesn't look like they have any music out and there's next to nothing on their About page so I'd guess they're this year's Black Midi/Scalping-like soft launch.

1 hour ago, semmtexx said:

@lessthanwill1 you have to be slightly careful though as it soon turns into a massive labour of love that other efesters start requesting!! Just ask @Brave Sir Robin 

😆👍

I love doing it so it’s no bother! Gives me an incentive to listen to all of the artists and discover some gems I might not otherwise listen to. 

Not sure I could listen to everyone on the Glastonbury bill though so I think he has a much harder task! 

15 minutes ago, lessthanwill1 said:

I love doing it so it’s no bother! Gives me an incentive to listen to all of the artists and discover some gems I might not otherwise listen to. 

Not sure I could listen to everyone on the Glastonbury bill though so I think he has a much harder task! 

Well it's much appreciated - so thank you again! 

Think we can expect 20-30 acts in the next announcement (1 March usually). 

I think 2 or 3 of those will be “bigger” acts - maybe a Mountain Stage sub and 1 or 2 acts for high up in the Far Out. Daughter, Bikini Kill and Bat for Lashes seem like decent bets. Maybe Phoebe Bridgers as well. 

Then around 5-10 low Mountain stage/mid Far Out/High (+ possible headliners) Walled Garden. Hoping for Dan Deacon, Les Savy Fav, Bonny Light Horseman, Caroline Polachek, Jenny Hval, Kelly Lee Owens. Probably get 1 or 2 DJs for after dark as well. BC Camplight seems likely. 

Rest likely made up of first few acts on Far Out and Walled Garden + some rising acts. 

Next announcement has the potential to turn a very solid announcement into an amazing line up. Fingers crossed! 

4 hours ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Think we can expect 20-30 acts in the next announcement (1 March usually). 

I think 2 or 3 of those will be “bigger” acts - maybe a Mountain Stage sub and 1 or 2 acts for high up in the Far Out. Daughter, Bikini Kill and Bat for Lashes seem like decent bets. Maybe Phoebe Bridgers as well. 

Then around 5-10 low Mountain stage/mid Far Out/High (+ possible headliners) Walled Garden. Hoping for Dan Deacon, Les Savy Fav, Bonny Light Horseman, Caroline Polachek, Jenny Hval, Kelly Lee Owens. Probably get 1 or 2 DJs for after dark as well. BC Camplight seems likely. 

Rest likely made up of first few acts on Far Out and Walled Garden + some rising acts. 

Next announcement has the potential to turn a very solid announcement into an amazing line up. Fingers crossed! 

You think Bikini Kill would play this? That would be kind of an odd one for Green Man wouldn't it?

I'd be surprised if Phoebe Bridgers comes back so quickly, she's in Europe for 3-4 weeks up to Latitude and then has a festival in Montreal at the start of August.

I don't know if Bikini Kill would that outre compared to some recent Far Out headliners, and it'd be strange for them to be in Europe in August and not have any UK visits.

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

You think Bikini Kill would play this? That would be kind of an odd one for Green Man wouldn't it?

I thought they’d be in the first announcement to be honest.

Octobe Beaver are another riot grrrl act that they’ve booked this year so perhaps not too “odd” for GM. I’d noticed that one of the main GM bookers started following Bikini Kill back when they announced the reunion last year so thought they’d be on GM’s radar. So I thought that plus their tour dates made them pretty likely. 

18 minutes ago, lessthanwill1 said:

I thought they’d be in the first announcement to be honest.

Octobe Beaver are another riot grrrl act that they’ve booked this year so perhaps not too “odd” for GM. I’d noticed that one of the main GM bookers started following Bikini Kill back when they announced the reunion last year so thought they’d be on GM’s radar. So I thought that plus their tour dates made them pretty likely. 

Fair. That's a good point about Otoboke Beaver.

Went to see John last night and got Black Midi tomorrow. No point asking either if they are playing GM because they are already booked! Likewise Murder Capital who I'm seeing next week. 

I didn't see them but Wife Swap USA played Southampton on Friday. Their first ever gig was in Brighton a few days before and sold out. Pretty crazy gigs apparently. Could be another possibility for Rising as they seem to have a bit of heat behind them. 

1 hour ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Anyone discovered someone new on the lineup that they’re enjoying? 

For me, it’s TORRES (had heard of her but not listened before - loving the new album!) and Lankum mainly. Also enjoying Alabaster Deplume much to my surprise given my initial listen - definitely a grower! 

RVG for  me.  I'd never heard of them before, but am loving their stuff (especially Cause and Effect) and really looking forward to seeing them in August.  Still lots more new names (to me) to listen to - may try Alabaster Deplume next after your recommendation!

15 minutes ago, BrighterNow said:

RVG for  me.  I'd never heard of them before, but am loving their stuff (especially Cause and Effect) and really looking forward to seeing them in August.  Still lots more new names (to me) to listen to - may try Alabaster Deplume next after your recommendation!

Yes I really like RVG. Looking forward to them as well!

I’m definitely enjoying his stuff but may not be for everyone. Quite an interesting mix of folk, jazz and spoken word. He actually supported The Comet is Coming on one of their recent tours. 

2 hours ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Anyone discovered someone new on the lineup that they’re enjoying? 

For me, it’s TORRES (had heard of her but not listened before - loving the new album!) and Lankum mainly. Also enjoying Alabaster Deplume much to my surprise given my initial listen - definitely a grower! 

Alabaster Deplume is definitely one of my 'finds' so far too, along with Otoboke Beaver and KOKOROKO. I also had no idea who LUMP were until now.