Green Man 2020

6 minutes ago, lessthanwill1 said:

That would be extremely cool but can’t see it happening for some reason...would love it! Feel like it’s maybe a bit too experimental for a Green Man? Not sure...

I would do both if I could! 

Yeah, she's certainly a hard one to place. But she is doing some festivals in Europe this summer so it's possible she'll show up somewhere on these shores this summer. Don't imagine it's going to be at Reading or Download 😂

1 hour ago, lessthanwill1 said:

This year there’s LUMP, This is the Kit, Lankum. And for Americana, you can’t really do much better than Lucinda Williams. That’s just for starters!

LUMP and Lankum are on my list, and there's some good Americana low on the list - Honey Harper and Katy Pearson - but I saw Lucinda Williams last year and it was a little bit sad. Her voice is completely shot. A couple of people who saw her at Cambridge said that half of the audience disappeared during her set because she just couldn't sing, so I didn't just catch her on a bad night.

As I said, there's a lot I like, but it's safe to say I won't be taking up space in the tent for John(Times Two) or TFS. Unless it's really really wet outside.

21 minutes ago, Dark Mavis said:

LUMP and Lankum are on my list, and there's some good Americana low on the list - Honey Harper and Katy Pearson - but I saw Lucinda Williams last year and it was a little bit sad. Her voice is completely shot. A couple of people who saw her at Cambridge said that half of the audience disappeared during her set because she just couldn't sing, so I didn't just catch her on a bad night.

Oh that’s good to know, wasn’t aware of that! 

Has anyone on here been to Truck? Thinking of going this year and wondered what the site is like in comparison to GM and EOTR. 

Seems like the crowd is generally younger, maybe more student age but they have family camping so presumably there's plenty for kids to do?

15 hours ago, benali said:

Has anyone on here been to Truck? Thinking of going this year and wondered what the site is like in comparison to GM and EOTR. 

Seems like the crowd is generally younger, maybe more student age but they have family camping so presumably there's plenty for kids to do?

Not been to EOTR, but Truck and GM are pretty incomparable by all accounts. 

Truck doesn’t have a great deal going on aside from the music, but I don’t have kids so can’t comment on that side of things. 

About half the capacity of GM, but feels much more crowded as the site is quite small and narrow, with several pinch points. 

Wasn’t particularly keen, although that may be due to personal preference, etc. 

Who do we think we’re missing then?

Maybe one more Mountain Stage sub and a Far Out headliner in addition lots of others further down the bill?

Wouldn’t be surprised to see them add Fontaines DC. Also think it’s fair to assume Caroline Polachek will be added in due course.

Edited by lessthanwill1

Just beginning to delve into you playlist over the past couple of days, Will. Cheers again!

Looking through the first announcements for GM and EotR, I've made a bit of a personal comparison:

Must sees (that I've not seen yet):

• GM: 11/61
  • EotR: 8/52

Seen before, but keen again:

• GM: 12/61
  • EotR: 13/52

Seen before and not keen:

• GM: 6/61
  • EotR: 4/52

So, by that very personal count, I'd say that GM has more exciting names at first glance but EotR has more solid depth at this early stage. Although both do feel comparatively 'safe' this year. I'm still planning to do both at this point, but am more open to being swayed by the likes of Bearded Theory, Sea Change and some international fests than I was before either announcement.

Just to fire up some more debate those 6 I haven't particularly enjoyed live before are (Sandy) Alex G, Charlotte Adigery, Gruff Rhys, Katy J Pearson, Mac De Marco (love him on record, but was abysmal live) and Parquet Courts.

10 hours ago, JHad said:

Just to fire up some more debate those 6 I haven't particularly enjoyed live before are (Sandy) Alex G, Charlotte Adigery, Gruff Rhys, Katy J Pearson, Mac De Marco (love him on record, but was abysmal live) and Parquet Courts.

Disappointing to hear about Sandy, he’s one of the acts I’m most looking forward to. Also been really enjoying Charlotte Adigéry. 

Interesting to know others have enjoyed Parquet Courts. I haven’t seen them before but from what I’ve watched online they look fantastic. Guess would be headlining Far Out one night.

Edited by lessthanwill1

11 hours ago, Guy Incognito said:

Parquet Courts were fucking great at EOTR last year. They headlined the Garden stage which was an ideal slot. 

Glad to hear that. I was really looking forward to them when I saw them at Field Day (back in the Vic Park days), but came away disappointed. Hopefully just a rare off day for whatever reason! 

12 hours ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Who do we think we’re missing then?

Maybe one more Mountain Stage sub and a Far Out headliner in addition lots of others further down the bill?

Wouldn’t be surprised to see them add Fontaines DC. Also think it’s fair to assume Caroline Polachek will be added in due course.

I think Daughter will probably get added as a sub once they've announced some new music, and I agree Fontaines DC seem likely, probably as a Far Out headliner. 

I'd be surprised if Bikini Kill aren't added somewhere given they're all over Europe the couple of weeks before. 

1 hour ago, JHad said:

Glad to hear that. I was really looking forward to them when I saw them at Field Day (back in the Vic Park days), but came away disappointed. Hopefully just a rare off day for whatever reason! 

I've seen Parquet Courts about 5 times.  They've been alternately good and not so good (e.g. Field Day), but never giving me the suspicion that they could deliver the blow-everybody-away brilliance of last year's EOTR set.  Just about top of my must-see list for GM now, and I think I'd prefer them to be outside on the Mountain (so would have to be subs) rather than on Far Out. However, if they are headlining Far Out, I'm fine with that as I'm not fussed if I miss all of the Mountain headliners.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JHad said:

I was also at that set and thought it was pretty bad. I've seen them about 5 times in 5 years and EOTR 2019 was probably the best! I think the main reason for that was due to them having a long set and not just sort of being sandwiched between bands.

39 minutes ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Agreed. Do we know if it’s going to be Felt Mountain in full??

Well this seems to imply so. The tour is with a string section isn't it? I'm not sure how I feel about them doing an album show, but if they're bringing a string section then that could be quite beautiful

Screenshot_20200201_231058_com.android.chrome.jpg

Edited by Gilgamesh69

9 hours ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Well this seems to imply so. The tour is with a string section isn't it? I'm not sure how I feel about them doing an album show, but if they're bringing a string section then that could be quite beautiful

Screenshot_20200201_231058_com.android.chrome.jpg

This is from their website. Seems like it won’t be exclusively Felt Mountain but will draw heavily upon it? That sounds perfect.

CEA8C19E-940E-4206-8302-F7B6195E05AC.jpeg

On 1/31/2020 at 9:27 PM, JHad said:

Gruff Rhys can go either way in my experience, but I've enjoyed his shows supporting the last two albums. 

On 1/29/2020 at 11:05 AM, evannn said:

If Riverlodge doesn't want this, I may well (please). Need to discuss with SO if we're doing Settlers, but I think we likely will be

Sorry for the delay evannn. I have posted my tickets on fanticks.com, but my listing is Pending at the moment. Settlers is great by the way. You can walk along the river or the canal into Crickhowell, or up Table Mountain. The bookshop coffee place is a nice place to hang out too.

On 2/1/2020 at 10:42 AM, the wonderwhy said:

I think Daughter will probably get added as a sub once they've announced some new music, and I agree Fontaines DC seem likely, probably as a Far Out headliner. 

I'd be surprised if Bikini Kill aren't added somewhere given they're all over Europe the couple of weeks before. 

Hope you’re right about Daughter and Bikini Kill.

Though if we’ve got a mountain sub to be announced still I would love for it to be Bar for Lashes. Hope we’ve also got Dan Deacon to come as well. 

On 1/29/2020 at 10:39 AM, grumpyhack said:

Bagged four tickets plus my caravan ticket this morning.  The line up names mean very little to me, but that's more of a comment on my current musical knowledge. than the status of the acts.  Having been twice before I reckon it's a delightful fest in a magnificent setting.  Always been happily surprised by a few bands so now a chance to start my YouTube voyage of discovery - plus any recommendations from here..

It's only about 40 miles up the road for me so is an easy caravan tow.  And, like all fests for me, it's not so much about the music as a chance to chill with old friends. Maybe an EFests meet to be arranged nearer the time?

Agree here. Never been too much about the line up for me either, whatever festival I've been to. It's the whole set up, music, food, beers, dancing with family and friends in the outdoors and then at the end of the evening back at the camper with a brew and a good chat.