Green Man 2020

Nah, she was 100% on the poster on the lineup page this morning, somewhere around where Richard Dawson is. In fact everything has shifted around a bit. 

Weird. Maybe she's pulled out. 

EDIT: I remember I was going to post that I thought it was odd she didn't have her own bio on the website. 

Edited by the wonderwhy

Will's scoring should definitely be weighted with extra points given for guessing people lower down the bill. Maybe one point for a headliner (we all knew Caribou were going to play) and 20 points for acts at the end of the list.

In which case I'm declaring myself the winner for predicting Lazarus Kane. Haha. 

Green Man Festival 2020 Playlist.

This is still a work in progress. The idea is I include my three favourite songs of each act. 

It's ordered in terms of my personal preference but I've also tried to make sure each artist is quite varied from the last one so that if you're listening in order it stays quite varied musically. If there's only one song, then it's because I haven't found three I like yet (unless they only have one or two songs on spotify, which is the case for a few!). 

I'll keep updating it as I listen to more of the acts and as more are announced. 

Edited by lessthanwill1
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Green Man Festival 2020 Playlist.

This is still a work in progress. The idea is I include my three favourite songs of each act. 

It's ordered in terms of my personal preference but I've also tried to make sure each artist is quite varied from the last one so that if you're listening in order it stays quite varied musically. If there's only one song, then it's because I haven't found three I like yet (unless they only have one or two songs on spotify, which is the case for a few!). 

I'll keep updating it as I listen to more of the acts and as more are announced. 

Thanks mate, good work.

So, who do y'all think will put on the best headline set?

18 hours ago, the wonderwhy said:

So what do we reckon we have so far then? 

Mountain headliners: Michael Kiwanuka (Friday), Caribou (Saturday), Mac DeMarco (Sunday)
Mountain subs: Thundercat? Goldfrapp? 
Far Out headliners: Little Dragon (Thursday), Parquet Courts, Ty Segall 
Walled Garden headliners: Gruff Rhys? 
After Dark: Black Midi? Moon Duo? 

Can see Lankum as a Walled Garden headliner personally. Fantastic droney folk music. 

1 minute ago, zero000 said:

Is there likely to be any further announcements? I’m tempted to go as I’m relatively local, but the lineup is a bit middling for me.  

Yep, they added Yo La Tengo, Eels, Growlers and a bunch of smaller acts in the second announcement last year then there was a third announcement that filled out the stage splits 

The lineup is gradually drifting towards post-punk noise and indie rock, and away from folk and Americana. The first one I came to was in 2011, and it's striking just how much less shouty the mix of music was then. This first announcement seems to have more identikit loudness than ever before,

There's still plenty of stuff I like every year, but I find I don't go to Far Out much any more.

19 minutes ago, Dark Mavis said:

The lineup is gradually drifting towards post-punk noise and indie rock, and away from folk and Americana. The first one I came to was in 2011, and it's striking just how much less shouty the mix of music was then. This first announcement seems to have more identikit loudness than ever before,

There's still plenty of stuff I like every year, but I find I don't go to Far Out much any more.

Interestingly that's the complete opposite to our family who now spend more time in the Far Out than the other stages. 

Maybe the shift in styles is GM keeping up with current trends because ultimately they need to shift tickets and having those bands achieves this. 

24 minutes ago, Dark Mavis said:

Agree with the general sentiment. There’s certainly less of a folk/Americana focus with a greater emphasis on a wide variety of genres (which is better for me, personally). 

That being said, there’s some great folk to be found still. Last year, there was Bridget St John (folk icon), James Yorkston and Jesca Hoop plus other newer names down the bill. This year there’s LUMP, This is the Kit, Lankum. And for Americana, you can’t really do much better than Lucinda Williams. That’s just for starters!

20 hours ago, the wonderwhy said:

Hmmm I wonder if its because they're not allowed to announce her yet for some reason? 

Anyway, seen loads of bands tweet/post that version of the poster now. 

She’s just announced a show at St Pancras Old Church on 4 March so maybe that’s why! That’s in addition to the Heaven show on 11 March (which is sold out - I’m going to that one). 

The wording of their tweet - “not currently” - suggests she’ll be there but I imagine she wanted to shift tickets first for the new show. 

3 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Reckon Lingua Ignota will show up at either this or End of the Road? Not sure what other festivals she'd fit really.

I'm trying to decide between this and EOTR... or should I do both? 🤔

That would be extremely cool but can’t see it happening for some reason...would love it! Feel like it’s maybe a bit too experimental for a Green Man? Not sure...

I would do both if I could!