Green Man 2020

That's a strong EOTR line up. I'm going against the grain on this forum as not being too fussed by the headliners (not that I don't like them, more just a bit ambivalent) but there's a load of ridiculously good stuff below. 

Still not sure if we can go.... Waiting for schools to confirm their start dates.  

On 1/16/2020 at 10:34 AM, the wonderwhy said:

Michael Kiwanuka 
Caribou 
Bat For Lashes
Phoebe Bridgers
Baxter Dury
Bikini Kill
Floating Points
Black Midi
Fontaines DC
Sleaford Mods 

Apologies for playing it safe :P 

EOTR announcement looking pretty good for my prediction! 

2 of my top 5 wishlist (Angel Olsen and Richard Dawson) have gone but Bat For Lashes, Jenny Hval and Bikini Kill are still in the running. 

Headliners I’m not sure now. Thought Pixies were nailed on. Caribou is the only one I’m sure about. Mac Demarco looks like the next most likely given he’s playing at Paredes. As @dentaIpIan mentioned a while back, Michael Kiwanuka is at Latitude which makes him unlikely for GM as they don’t often share acts high up the bill. 

Other possibilities?
- Sleater Kinney would be awesome but I’m not totally convinced they would headline (you can still buy tickets for their Brixton show for example) - would love it though!
- I’ve had a suspicion that Yeah Yeah Yeahs would headline based on nothing other than the fact GM started following them on twitter shortly after last year’s festival. Nothing to suggest that they’ll be in Europe over the summer though but they are active in the US.
- Iggy Pop maybe an outside bet as well - active in Europe a couple of weeks before GM. 

Hoping there are some more unusual bookings: Les Savy Fav, Bauhaus, Duster, Explosions in the Sky would be really great bookings for example. 

• Upvote 1

Someone on the EOTR forum wanted to know about the differences between GM and EOTR, so I knocked this up in a bit of a hurry. I'm posting here too, for discussion.

OK, here goes, a quick personal EOTR/GM comparison as someone who goes to both festivals. 

• Surroundings, outside of the site itself. Both great, but Green Man wins here. The mountains and the town of Crickhowell within walking distance.
  • The site itself. EOTR wins here for the Garden Stage and the Woods alone.
  • Food. Score draw.
  • Beer. Both excellent, but EOTR wins here purely because the good stuff is more spread out across the site not just in one place. The queues at The Courtyard at GM can be off-putting.
  • Main Stage: The Mountain Stage at GM wins here.
  • Second Stage: No competition. The Garden Stage at EOTR is magnificent.
  • Tented Stage: Green Man wins here for open sides.
  • Camping: Score draw.
  • Car Parking: The walk from Orange Car Park at GM is grim, so EOTR gets the points.
  • People: Similar but different. Green Man has more families. So the points depend on your attitude to that.
  • Comedy and Literature: Much more a thing at Green Man.
  • Local community involvement: Easy win for Green Man.
  • Music: Look at the lineup and decide for yourself. It's a personal thing.
  • Upvote 3

So as far as I can tell this is the list of North American GM-friendly acts who we know are in Europe around that weekend and aren't at EOTR:

Iggy Pop, Bon Iver, Caribou, Bikini Kill, Mac Demarco, Parquet Courts, Ty Segall, Badbadnotgood, (Sandy) Alex G, Chromatics, Woods, The Tallest Man On Earth, Tropical Fuck Storm, Crack Cloud

If Iggy and Justin aren't in their plans/out of price range I'm not seeing a lot of headliner potential there. Maybe an imported name or two still to be announced, with Pukkelpop among those not showing their hand yet?

4 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

So as far as I can tell this is the list of North American GM-friendly acts who we know are in Europe around that weekend and aren't at EOTR:

Iggy Pop, Bon Iver, Caribou, Bikini Kill, Mac Demarco, Parquet Courts, Ty Segall, Badbadnotgood, (Sandy) Alex G, Chromatics, Woods, The Tallest Man On Earth, Tropical Fuck Storm, Crack Cloud

If Iggy and Justin aren't in their plans/out of price range I'm not seeing a lot of headliner potential there. Maybe an imported name or two still to be announced, with Pukkelpop among those not showing their hand yet?

Tropical Fuck Storm are Australian 😛 

But yeah get your point. The later summer festivals are still in there early stages of announcing so I imagine there are a few who will emerge over the next week. Sleater Kinney being one of them. 

9 hours ago, Happyboypricey said:

Any revised headliner predictions?

I didn't give any headliners (surely still too early for Fontaines - I think they're a far our headliner, perhaps) in my 10 predictions (which I'm still pretty happy with after the EotR announcement!), so will plump for a mixture of those dream/realistic headline options I posted back at the start of the thread. What do we think of Nick Cave (yeah, right), Caribou/Jon Hopkins and Courtney Barnett?

1 hour ago, SweepingTheNation said:

I’m pretty sure Mac would be a headliner if he was at GM. Yeah not sure when Pukkelpop, Lowlands and Route du Rock announce their line ups - anyone know? Will probably be after GM anyway now. Imported name could be Yeah Yeah Yeahs!

1 hour ago, JHad said:

What do we think of Nick Cave (yeah, right), Caribou/Jon Hopkins and Courtney Barnett?

Nick Cave just seems like a pipe dream. Playing arenas. Must be too big...

Caribou yes. My dream would be for Jon Hopkins to headline with Caribou subbing but seems unlikely. Probably will have one or the other and Caribou seem the most likely fit currently. 

Courtney Barnett is another good shout. Although she only headlined EOTR as Beirut pulled out so not sure if she’s quite big enough yet. No indication that she’ll be around either yet. 

26 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

Just remembered Daughter have a single date announced for August. Think they're nailed on. Probably to sub. 

Yeah they’d be a great sub. Think they subbed when they last played a while back so you could arguably make a case for them being bumped up as they’ve released another album since then.

8 minutes ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Yeah they’d be a great sub. Think they subbed when they last played a while back so you could arguably make a case for them being bumped up as they’ve released another album since then.

Seems they did- 2014. Funnily enough Caribou and Mac Demarco both played the tent that night. 

Anyway, yeah could potentially be in the running for a headliner slot. 

To add to my thoughts re: Yeah Yeah Yeahs 

Yeah Yeah Yeahs are playing Shaky Knees Festival in the US in May. The interesting point being that in 2019 and 2018 GM shared acts with Shaky Knees high up the bill (Father John Misty in 2019, and Fleet Foxes and War on Drugs in 2018).

Perhaps there is some relationship there between the festivals? I’ve seen GM tweet about how much they like Shaky Knees before. I don’t see any of the other highly billed acts at Shaky Knees being at GM (i.e. headliners and acts on the first two lines of the poster). 

Still pretty unlikely I guess but could see it happening. 

Edited by lessthanwill1

57 minutes ago, lessthanwill1 said:

To add to my thoughts re: Yeah Yeah Yeahs 

Yeah Yeah Yeahs are playing Shaky Knees Festival in the US in May. The interesting point being that in 2019 and 2018 GM shared acts with Shaky Knees high up the bill (Father John Misty in 2019, and Fleet Foxes and War on Drugs in 2018).

Perhaps there is some relationship there between the festivals? I’ve seen GM tweet about how much they like Shaky Knees before. I don’t see any of the other highly billed acts at Shaky Knees being at GM (i.e. headliners and acts on the first two lines of the poster). 

Still pretty unlikely I guess but could see it happening. 

I'm going to run with that and say The Strokes - nailed on 🤣

18 hours ago, lessthanwill1 said:

2 of my top 5 wishlist (Angel Olsen and Richard Dawson) have gone but Bat For Lashes, Jenny Hval and Bikini Kill are still in the running. 

Headliners I’m not sure now. Thought Pixies were nailed on. Caribou is the only one I’m sure about. Mac Demarco looks like the next most likely given he’s playing at Paredes. As @dentaIpIan mentioned a while back, Michael Kiwanuka is at Latitude which makes him unlikely for GM as they don’t often share acts high up the bill. 

Other possibilities?
- Sleater Kinney would be awesome but I’m not totally convinced they would headline (you can still buy tickets for their Brixton show for example) - would love it though!
- I’ve had a suspicion that Yeah Yeah Yeahs would headline based on nothing other than the fact GM started following them on twitter shortly after last year’s festival. Nothing to suggest that they’ll be in Europe over the summer though but they are active in the US.
- Iggy Pop maybe an outside bet as well - active in Europe a couple of weeks before GM. 

Hoping there are some more unusual bookings: Les Savy Fav, Bauhaus, Duster, Explosions in the Sky would be really great bookings for example. 

I'm the one who was asking about both EOTR and GM, but if GM pulled the yeah yeah yeahs in then that would tempt me!

51 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Weyes blood playing shepherds Bush empire june 10th as a UK exclusive 

Following sold out shows at both Islington Assembly Hall and Electric Brixton last year, 2020 sees her return to London for the UK exclusive show of the tour.”

I read that as being a UK exclusive show in respect of that tour rather than a UK exclusive show in general if that makes sense. So she could still be playing at a UK festival?

However, as she’s back in America in August it seems unlikely that she’ll come back to UK so quickly in time for Green Man. Last show is on 14 August so it’s possible but I imagine she’ll be taking a well earned break! 

23 hours ago, raikeswood said:

Someone on the EOTR forum wanted to know about the differences between GM and EOTR, so I knocked this up in a bit of a hurry. I'm posting here too, for discussion.

OK, here goes, a quick personal EOTR/GM comparison as someone who goes to both festivals. 

• Surroundings, outside of the site itself. Both great, but Green Man wins here. The mountains and the town of Crickhowell within walking distance.
  • The site itself. EOTR wins here for the Garden Stage and the Woods alone.
  • Food. Score draw.
  • Beer. Both excellent, but EOTR wins here purely because the good stuff is more spread out across the site not just in one place. The queues at The Courtyard at GM can be off-putting.
  • Main Stage: The Mountain Stage at GM wins here.
  • Second Stage: No competition. The Garden Stage at EOTR is magnificent.
  • Tented Stage: Green Man wins here for open sides.
  • Camping: Score draw.
  • Car Parking: The walk from Orange Car Park at GM is grim, so EOTR gets the points.
  • People: Similar but different. Green Man has more families. So the points depend on your attitude to that.
  • Comedy and Literature: Much more a thing at Green Man.
  • Local community involvement: Easy win for Green Man.
  • Music: Look at the lineup and decide for yourself. It's a personal thing.

Also, has anyone here got anything to add who's done both?

Pros and Cons of both? Likelihood is I'll go off the line up and green man is geographically closer as I'm north east England!

Also never visited Wales!