Green Man 2020

20 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Looks good but I reckon fontaines wont be that low: headlining or nothing next year I'd say

They're not bigger than Idles were/are. I also still don't get why The Tallest Man On Earth would headline that stage over LSF and Bridgers. (Also, not a lot of Welsh acts)

Edited by SweepingTheNation

8 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

They're not bigger than Idles were/are. I also still don't get why The Tallest Man On Earth would headline that stage over LSF and Bridgers. (Also, not a lot of Welsh acts)

TMOE headlined that stage a while back and i'd say he's got a fair bit bigger since then (as has the festival of course but not to the extent that he wouldn't be at that same level). He's a fair bit bigger than Les Savy Fav for sure. I'm not sure they're that well known really. They haven't been active in ages but are back again this year. 

Phoebe Bridgers is obviously very popular. I think she'll be releasing new music as well this year. Bigger than TMOE though? I don't think so yet. 

Yeah I'm not familiar with many Welsh acts so that's certainly an issue with my prediction. 

Edited by lessthanwill1

6 hours ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Only a month now until the lineup comes out! 

On that note, I've drawn up a highly speculative and probably hugely inaccurate prediction for GM 2020.  It's based on a mixture of acts that are: around at the time of Green Man; have been recently followed by GM on twitter; released new music this year; and acts that I just hope are playing.  It doesn't include after dark acts. 

Would you be happy with this? Where have I gone wrong?

GM.PNG

I'd be pretty happy with this line up but the Pixies/Les Savy Fav clash on the Sunday would be cruel!

I've got a feeling The Orielles are going to be in there somewhere, probably the Walled Garden.

45 minutes ago, Cottsy said:

I'd be pretty happy with this line up but the Pixies/Les Savy Fav clash on the Sunday would be cruel!

I've got a feeling The Orielles are going to be in there somewhere, probably the Walled Garden.

Yeah that’s a pretty bad clash actually as they’re pretty similar. Maybe swap LSF with KKB! 

Orielles definitely a good shout was considering putting them in. 

If you'd added Pom Poko to that Saturday Far Out line up I'm not sure I'd ever recover. Can't believe you haven't done the Rising Stage line up though. Slacker!

My son messaged Sports Team a few weeks ago and said he'd give them a fiver if they played Green Man to which they replied "you're on".

The second half of gig season is about to hit us so a good time to sound out a few bands at the merch stalls and get some festival info!

1 hour ago, benali said:

If you'd added Pom Poko to that Saturday Far Out line up I'm not sure I'd ever recover. Can't believe you haven't done the Rising Stage line up though. Slacker!

My son messaged Sports Team a few weeks ago and said he'd give them a fiver if they played Green Man to which they replied "you're on".

The second half of gig season is about to hit us so a good time to sound out a few bands at the merch stalls and get some festival info!

Yes was trying to fit Pom Poko in somewhere! Haha predicting the Rising Stage was a step too far for me. 

Sports Team seem like a good bet as well. 

Let us know if you hear anything! 

On 12/31/2019 at 9:54 AM, lessthanwill1 said:

Only a month now until the lineup comes out! 

On that note, I've drawn up a highly speculative and probably hugely inaccurate prediction for GM 2020.  It's based on a mixture of acts that are: around at the time of Green Man; have been recently followed by GM on twitter; released new music this year; and acts that I just hope are playing.  It doesn't include after dark acts. 

Would you be happy with this? Where have I gone wrong?

GM.PNG

As much as I’d dig it Angel Olsen is  pretty far off headlining. 

For me, Angel Olsen is right on the cusp of headlining somewhere like GM and I think it would be brilliant if they bumped her up to headliner like they’ve done with King Gizzard and Future Islands in recent years. 

She’s playing at venues that previous headliners have played at before headlining GM. I don’t really see a material size difference between her and Caribou for instance and people seem happy to suggest him as a headliner.

3 hours ago, dentalplan said:

As much as I can get down with the acts; plotting a whole punk/post-punk day on the Saturday Far Out bill would be naff.

Yeah for sure. GM always do a good job of mixing genres so i’m sure the real thing will be a lot more varied!

Edited by lessthanwill1

8 minutes ago, lessthanwill1 said:

For me, Angel Olsen is right on the cusp of headlining somewhere like GM and I think it would be brilliant if they bumped her up to headliner like they’ve done with King Gizzard and Future Islands in recent years. 

She’s playing at venues that previous headliners have played at before headlining GM. I don’t really see a material size difference between her and Caribou for instance and people seem happy to suggest him as a headliner.

Caribou is/are selling out academy-sized venues this year (as were KGATLW) and Angel Olsen is the level below that. Definitely more of a punt for her, but hopefully one they've taken.

7 hours ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Yeah for sure. GM always do a good job of mixing genres so i’m sure the real thing will be a lot more varied!

This is likely a blind spot on my behalf, but I had to look her up when you first mentioned her back along. Very glad I did, mind you! I might be the exception of course, but on that (admittedly limited) basis I'd be surprised if she was well known enough to headline.

Looks like I’m perhaps projecting my love of Angel Olsen on to her relative size too much then.

9 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Caribou is/are selling out academy-sized venues this year (as were KGATLW) and Angel Olsen is the level below that. Definitely more of a punt for her, but hopefully one they've taken.

Fair point. I hadn’t realised you could still buy tickets for her Apollo show. Apollo is at the same level as Brixton Academy right though in terms of capacity? I’m assuming it will eventually sell out though, perhaps it won’t. 

5 hours ago, the wonderwhy said:

She’s playing venues smaller than Shaz and Eels did last year so can’t see it unfortunately, especially as they’re growing next year. 

Is she? Might be mistaken but I thought Sharon played at the Roundhouse which is smaller than the Apollo (where Angel Olsen is playing in Feb) and think Eels played the Apollo the week after GM. 

2 hours ago, JHad said:

This is likely a blind spot on my behalf, but I had to look her up when you first mentioned her back along. Very glad I did, mind you! I might be the exception of course, but on that (admittedly limited) basis I'd be surprised if she was well known enough to headline.

Fair enough! She’s played at GM a couple of times before so she’s well known to the GM crowd. 4 albums in now all with pretty high levels of critical acclaim. I think she could pull it off but perhaps I’m overstepping as a big fan.

2 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Do they usually announce most of the main acts? Headliners, subs etc

Last couple of years they've announced 2/3 of the headliners with the third coming later on. They have announced all headliners in previous versions though so it's not a strict rule. 

First announcement last year contained most of the bigger acts but some were still announced later on (e.g. Eels and Yo La Tengo). 

The quantity of acts announced in the first announcement also varies quite a bit. Last year they announced pretty much double the amount of acts that were initially announced in 2018.