Green Man 2020

1 hour ago, March Hare said:

Who said anything about them opening doors? Perhaps read the lines instead of looking between them? ;)

Anyway...was it a while ago? Maybe due a return? Saw them last night and it was a cracking set

Huh, rude. Saying Four Tet was a 'great move' and that Hot Chip would be 'great in that spot' suggests that Four Tet was something new and Hot Chip would be following suit, when it isn't the case. It's not on me, there's no other way to interpret it!

But yeah, Hot Chip headlined 2015 - so the album tour before this one. I think there have only been one or two repeat headliners and they've been a longer gap than five years so it seems fairly unlikely. And just personal opinion but I really can't see it being anyone other than Caribou fulfilling that piece of the headliner set.

1 hour ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

So what's the headliner pool looking like? By my count there's potential for First Aid Kit, Caribou, Michael Kiwanuka, Angel Olsen, with Pavement being a real shot for the stars.

I thought I read elsewhere a while back that Pavement were doing Primavera as their only European festivals. 

My money has been on Dan Snaith, in whatever guise he chooses, for Saturday night headliner since how Four Tet went down this year. 

I wouldn't be jumping up and down about any of the others you've suggested, but would happily see any of them. They do seem to be popular choices.

I'm going to throw a few more out there that I don't think have been mentioned: Christine & The Queens, Iggy Pop, St Vincent, Arcade Fire?

3 hours ago, JHad said:

I'm going to throw a few more out there that I don't think have been mentioned: Christine & The Queens, Iggy Pop, St Vincent, Arcade Fire?

C&TQ: Would love it but i can't see it happening really, seems a bit far from what GM usually book. Could be wrong though

Iggy Pop: Could definitely see it. Seems to be getting a lot of 6 music coverage at the moment. 

St Vincent: Headlined in 2015 - might be due a return but GM have rarely had repeat headliners. The last was Fleet Foxes i think and that was an 8 year gap. 

Arcade Fire: Too big

Edited by lessthanwill1

19 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

They've been announced for Mad Cool in early July so I'd guess they aren't going to hang around in or return so quickly to Europe.

That's a good point actually I hadn't seen that. 

Think we should start getting a better idea in the coming weeks for the non-UK acts when the other August European festivals start announcing some names. 

Ones to look out for are Parades de Coura, Lowlands, Pukkelpop and Route du Rock mainly I think. I seem to remember Parades announcing a few names in November last year but not sure when the others usually reveal their line ups. 

Great week for live music that almost makes up for missing out on GM this year. 

Weyes Blood on Wednesday. Would be amazing on the Mountain Stage. Such an incredible voice and pretty funny as well. Would suit GM perfectly. 

Charli XCX on Thursday (Rina Sawayama supporting). Honestly one of the best gigs of my life but not for GM obviously. Christine came on to sing Gone with Charli which was pretty incredible. 

Mirrors Festival today. Sadly could only go to half of this but still saw:

• Empath: could see them fitting in at GM for sure but wasn't blown away. The Eye is a great tune though.
  • Ada Lea: one of my favourite albums of the year. Started off a bit nervy due to some sound issues but was great by the end. Would love to see her again in the Walled Garden. 
  • Just Mustard: Had been wanting to see them for ages - was blown away. Love these guys. Hopefully they return to GM soon. 
  • Porridge Radio: wasn't all too familiar with them but was really impressed. I knew Eugh and Give/Take which were fantastic but the rest was great. Need to check them out more. Anyone see them at GM this year? 

On 11/2/2019 at 11:01 PM, lessthanwill1 said:

Great week for live music that almost makes up for missing out on GM this year. 

• Just Mustard: Had been wanting to see them for ages - was blown away. Love these guys. Hopefully they return to GM soon. 
  • Porridge Radio: wasn't all too familiar with them but was really impressed. I knew Eugh and Give/Take which were fantastic but the rest was great. Need to check them out more. Anyone see them at GM this year? 

Yes, I caught both in Rising and both made my 'best of' list for the weekend. Porridge Radio especially were phenomenal! They'e supporting BC Camplight at Islington Assembly Hall (and maybe other dates, although a quick search came to nothing) later this month, if anyone wants to catch them.

I've been on a similar gig-binge since GM, although trying to catch the acts I wasn't able to squeeze in due to the insanely good lineup! I think the GM19 bands I've so far seen post-festival have been Black Country New Road (x3), Chelou, Richard Thompson, Callum Easter, Snapped Ankles (x2), Dry Cleaning and Nilufer Yanya with Squid, James Yorkston, Art School Girlfriend, Oscar Lang and Pictish Trail to come before the year's out. Cheers again for the playlist - I discovered plenty there!

I've grown more convinced about BCNR every time I've seen them (twice more coming up!). One of the few bands I feel like I could see every single night, which is a rarity for me because even those I really enjoy I don't tend to want to see again until they've released at least one more album.

Snapped Ankles were also obviously sensational live, especially at the Village Underground with the visuals (and many lyrics) representing the neighbourhoods just outside.

I think Nilufer Yanya would also go down very well in a kinder slot (i.e. not up against FJM and Idles).

2 hours ago, JHad said:

I've been on a similar gig-binge since GM, although trying to catch the acts I wasn't able to squeeze in due to the insanely good lineup! I think the GM19 bands I've so far seen post-festival have been Black Country New Road (x3), Chelou, Richard Thompson, Callum Easter, Snapped Ankles (x2), Dry Cleaning and Nilufer Yanya with Squid, James Yorkston, Art School Girlfriend, Oscar Lang and Pictish Trail to come before the year's out. Cheers again for the playlist - I discovered plenty there!

A great set of gigs that. I've not managed to see Squid yet - desperate to see them. Seems unlikely that they'll be at GM three years in a row but you never know. 

BCNR were indeed excellent when I saw them at the 100 club although I'm hoping they release some new music soon. 

Wish I could have gone to that Snapped Ankles show at Village Underground. I bet it was amazing. As with Squid, seems unlikely they would return again for the third time in a row but hopefully they do - that Friday late night Walled Garden set is made for them! 

Agreed re: Nilufer that must have been a small crowd! Hopefully she returns soon - love the album! 

3 hours ago, lessthanwill1 said:

A great set of gigs that. I've not managed to see Squid yet - desperate to see them. Seems unlikely that they'll be at GM three years in a row but you never know. 

BCNR were indeed excellent when I saw them at the 100 club although I'm hoping they release some new music soon. 

Wish I could have gone to that Snapped Ankles show at Village Underground. I bet it was amazing. As with Squid, seems unlikely they would return again for the third time in a row but hopefully they do - that Friday late night Walled Garden set is made for them! 

Agreed re: Nilufer that must have been a small crowd! Hopefully she returns soon - love the album! 

They're just the GM-related ones ?. I've been the making the most of being in London a few weeks before starting a new job, so will have to cut back very soon!

I caught Squid earlier in the year at APE in the Jager tent with one of the free tickets and this Wednesday they're supporting Warmduscher. Still no luck catching them headline! Indeed, their Scala show next April sold out pretty much immediately. I guess they could come back and move considerably up the bill given the following they're building. 

Warmduscher tonight for me, supported by Lazarus Kane who on the basis of one song looks like he has something special. Yak on Friday, Sports Team and Crows in a couple of weeks. 

Saw Snapped Ankles a couple of weeks back in Guildford but I was so tired I didn't enjoy it as much as I should have.

Amazing time of year for gigs. I've missed nearly as much as I wanted to see including HMLTD, Feet, Chastity Belt and Working Men's Club.

3 hours ago, benali said:

Warmduscher tonight for me, supported by Lazarus Kane who on the basis of one song looks like he has something special. Yak on Friday, Sports Team and Crows in a couple of weeks. 

Saw Snapped Ankles a couple of weeks back in Guildford but I was so tired I didn't enjoy it as much as I should have.

Amazing time of year for gigs. I've missed nearly as much as I wanted to see including HMLTD, Feet, Chastity Belt and Working Men's Club.

It is a phenomenal time is year! Enjoy Warmduscher! 

I had tickets for Working Men's Club in Guildford but had to abandon plans at the last minute. They're my one big regret to have missed so far this year, especially given their tour dates are all now miles away. I had considered going to Norwich, but hadn't realised quite how far that out from London ?. However... there are rumours of a free gig in a Reading pub on Friday night. 

9 hours ago, JHad said:

It is a phenomenal time is year! Enjoy Warmduscher! 

I had tickets for Working Men's Club in Guildford but had to abandon plans at the last minute. They're my one big regret to have missed so far this year, especially given their tour dates are all now miles away. I had considered going to Norwich, but hadn't realised quite how far that out from London ?. However... there are rumours of a free gig in a Reading pub on Friday night. 

Hopefully more than rumours as I've had it on my calendar for a while now!  Purple Turtle is not the grestest venue, but needs must.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Born in the fifties said:

Hopefully more than rumours as I've had it on my calendar for a while now!  Purple Turtle is not the grestest venue, but needs must.

Awesome! I hadn't been able to substantiate what I'd heard, but I now see there's a Facebook event for it. I'm not sure how I missed that before, but was going to chance it anyway! Seems like it's 250 capacity? I'm not sure how likely that is to fill in Reading, but I'm going to get down early just in case. 

First names for Oya festival have been announced: Bon Iver and Bikini Kill (Bon Iver confirmed as one of the headliners but Bikini Kill have not been confirmed as a headliner). 

The festival takes place in Norway between 11-15 August.

GM and Oya typically share a few acts (e.g. Idles, Big Thief and Stereolab this year).  

Edited by lessthanwill1