Green Man 2020

Saw Pixies tonight at Ally Pally. Think they’ve got to be strong headliner contenders for next year. Getting quite a lot of coverage on 6 music at the moment, followed by GM on twitter so obviously on their radar.

A more condensed version of the set I saw would go down extremely well I think. They sounded amazing but there was a section 3/4ers of the way through with 5 or 6 new songs and it was a bit dead. But then the highs were fantastic: Tame, Debaser, Monkey Gone to Heaven, Hey, Bone Machine etc. 

9 hours ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Saw Pixies tonight at Ally Pally. Think they’ve got to be strong headliner contenders for next year. Getting quite a lot of coverage on 6 music at the moment, followed by GM on twitter so obviously on their radar.

A more condensed version of the set I saw would go down extremely well I think. They sounded amazing but there was a section 3/4ers of the way through with 5 or 6 new songs and it was a bit dead. But then the highs were fantastic: Tame, Debaser, Monkey Gone to Heaven, Hey, Bone Machine etc. 

I saw them headline Best Kept Secret in 2014 and, amongst a stellar line up, they feel a bit flat IMO with a shrinking crowd. That was shortly after Kim Deal left though, so maybe they were still adjusting a little. I have to say, I still enjoyed the set. 

Perhaps they'd go down better with a GM crowd? 

So this was my first time seeing them so I’m not sure what the earlier comeback gigs were like but my impression from reading reviews are that they’re now very much back on form.

Paz sounded fantastic on bass and it was nice to see at least one of the band members looking thrilled to the crowd reactions for the Surfa Rosa/Doolittle songs!

• Like 1

Full pricings, as per GM email today.

Adult Early Bird - £180
Settler's Pass Early Bird - £230

Student Early Bird - £155
Student Settler's Pass Early Bird - £205

Accompanied Teen Early Bird - £115
Accompanied Teen Settler's Pass Early Bird - £160
(Age 13-17 & must be accompanied by over 21y/o) 

Little Folk Early Bird - £28
Little Folk Settler's Pass Early Bird - £37
(Age 5-12 & must be accompanied by over 21y/o)

Infant Ticket - £0
(Age 0-4 & must be accompanied by over 21y/o)

Orange Car Park Ticket - £20
Park & Ride - £5
Settlement Car Park - £30

Live-in Vehicle
Campervan Early Bird - £95
Settler's Pass Campervan - £120
(Vehicle under 6m, max pitch size 6m x 5m) 

Motorhome Early Bird - £120
Settler's Pass Motorhome - £150
(Vehicle over 6m or towed by car, max pitch size 9m x 5m) 

Does anyone know if £155 for an early bird student ticket is actually any cheaper than a normal student ticket? I can't remember this year's prices, but feel that it was about that.

Edited by JHad
  • Upvote 1

Only skimmed the email earlier, just re read it and noticed they are banning gazebos and event shelters. 

Thoughts? We take an average size shelter but it seemed that this year people were turning up with huge event shelters, sometimes even more than one. I get the fact that camping space is limited and there were people struggling to find room late on Thursday and Friday, however from a selfish point of view I'm a bit gutted because we love having ours up.

1 hour ago, benali said:

Only skimmed the email earlier, just re read it and noticed they are banning gazebos and event shelters. 

Thoughts? We take an average size shelter but it seemed that this year people were turning up with huge event shelters, sometimes even more than one. I get the fact that camping space is limited and there were people struggling to find room late on Thursday and Friday, however from a selfish point of view I'm a bit gutted because we love having ours up.

A gazebo is a lifesaver if, like our group, you bring a load of two/three man tents and need somewhere to sit in the rain. On the other hand, people do bring multiple even shelters and really spread out.

Maybe they've redone their risk assessment and they're banning them because of that? Run away gazebos can be dangerous and maybe there was an incident at the festival? I say this because GM is not pushed for camping space. There was still space for relatively large tents near us all Friday, and this was pretty close to one of the entrances. 

I feel this is going to be ignored by quite a lot of people though. Unless they have stewards going round dismantling them I don't see people paying much attention. 

Maybe they want to increase the number of tickets they sell and therefore will need more tent space.  It’s a shame, if groups showed some common sense the rule wouldn’t be there.  The stench of middle class entitlement is a little overpowering in places.

I was in settlers camping and it filled up over the Thursday/Friday.  The event shelters, often coupled with gazebos, took the piss a little.  We had one gazebo between 14 of it and it was enough.  Rare that we were all under it at the same time.

I don’t have a gazebo or an event shelter but agree it is a shame. I want the festival to stay exactly how it is (maybe more tiny rebel), however it’s also built up enough credibility for me to trust this has been done with the best of intentions. 

Any other changes and I may start to panic though!

14 hours ago, rug568 said:

I feel this is going to be ignored by quite a lot of people though. Unless they have stewards going round dismantling them I don't see people paying much attention. 

At Blue Dot last year there was a group of (official) guys going round on the Friday threatening to take down themselves any gazebos/shelters that weren't got rid of by 5pm. It started hammering it down though so I'm not surprised they didn't emerge to carry out the threat... 

20 hours ago, benali said:

I have to say that I agree with that decision - it was one of the questions in the Audience Survey, so I'm not overly surprised either. They do take up lots of room and aren't as sturdy as tents - there were a few near me this year which were broken during the storm on Friday, with some parts blowing around. I appreciate the convenience for a large group (I only take a small tent myself), but some people do take the piss a little as well. You could always stick up a tarp if/when it's needed, I guess?

I hope though, as has been said, that it's not used as a way to squeeze more people in.

Edited by JHad
added last sentence.

On 9/15/2019 at 12:01 AM, lessthanwill1 said:

Just saw Black Country New Road. They were fantastic. Far Out slot for them next year please. 

More importantly, though, we need to get Jenny Hval in the Far Out tent as a matter of urgency. The new album is ridiculous.

P.s. same applies for Angel Olsen. She could maybe headline! 

Second the BCNR point after seeing them properly last night. They blew me away with the jittery, uncomfortable, but somehow uplifting, sound. Parts of the performance seemed semi-improvised, with Lewis part-conducting the group from the front between almost impossibly energetic, sweat drenched sax sections. They (and the crowd) seemed to really enjoy the night - there was even a bit of a(n unnecessary) mosh at one point, something which, if I lip-read Georgia correctly, was their first and provoked a but of laughter amongst the band. The energy they were creating though in parts did hint at the possibility of a lively future live set, once they've developed more of a back catalogue.

A much better performance that their extra Far Out performance this year, when Lewis left shaking his head, which I'm sure is something I'm sure they'll want to remedy.

We don’t use a gazebo or event shelter but can’t get upset with others using them, especially with young families. Loads of camping space at GM as far as I could see; it’s not like Glasto. Like the look of those event shelters for cooking under. 

Will be interesting to see how fast the tickets sell tomorrow morning given the facebook/twitter response to the Gazebo ban. 

The ban doesn’t affect me personally but I can see why it’s caused the reaction. If you’re doing Settlers, you need some shelter given the likely weather throughout the week. Also, if you’re taking your family, a sheltered area to cook would be incredibly useful to save on buying food for every meal. 

• Upvote 1

Evening all,

I’m going to be defecting from Glastonbury this year and really hoping to try out Green Man. Are the early bird tickets tomorrow very hard to get? I think I am getting overly jittery because of the carnage of Glastonbury ticket day, but if anyone has any tips for tomorrow I’d love to hear them! ?

16 minutes ago, Jobseeker said:

Evening all,

I’m going to be defecting from Glastonbury this year and really hoping to try out Green Man. Are the early bird tickets tomorrow very hard to get? I think I am getting overly jittery because of the carnage of Glastonbury ticket day, but if anyone has any tips for tomorrow I’d love to hear them! ?

Nothing at all like Glastonbury. The campervan/motorhome tickets go quickly but the general tickets are available for a while. They used to have a habit of messing up the links etc. for ticket purchase but the last couple of years have been smooth. Once you're on the case around 10am you'll get one no problem. Just keep an eye on the Green Man Festival Facebook page in case there are any unexpected issues.

7 minutes ago, lessthanwill1 said:

That’s true - but isn’t cooking in a tent a bit dangerous? I’m not sure, I’ve never done it! 

I've always been happy to cook in a tent, but it's not without risk and many people wouldn't be. 

I can see the scenario where there is a tent fire at some point in the future and the response will be to ban cooking appliances, which would be the end of Green Man for a lot more people.

Sorry to go off topic but anybody watch Mortimer And Whitehouse Go Fishing? We're watching the first episode of the new series rn and they're definitely at Glanusk. They walked across the castly bridge and there was a field they were walking through which must've been the campsite, it's all very exciting.

I wouldn't cook in a tent, personally. I tend to take things for cold breakfast and a stove to make coffee and usually some prepared lunches for the first couple of days. I can see the dilemma people might have though if there all week and it rains for a couple of days. I still think a tarp could be the middle ground, but there is a convenience issue. 

55 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Sorry to go off topic but anybody watch Mortimer And Whitehouse Go Fishing? We're watching the first episode of the new series rn and they're definitely at Glanusk. They walked across the castly bridge and there was a field they were walking through which must've been the campsite, it's all very exciting.

Yeah it’s cool isn’t it! People had posted on twitter about it when it was first aired. 

Read some of the comments elsewhere, a few people make the point that gazebos should be allowed for settlers which seems reasonable.

We're there for a week and use the gazebo extensively for the first few days but less so when the festival starts. Wouldn't stop me going but our family would really appreciate being able to use it for settlers.

I do wonder if making the car park settlers only means they will increase the numbers on the first 3 days. Seemed busier this year and people started camping by the hurly burly on Monday for the first time. Would be good to allow more in and extend the entertainment a touch by adding another small stage in the evenings, or a cinema/comedy tent.

• Upvote 1